Game Lasts Only 7 Turns max?

By FiendishDevil, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest - Rules Questions

Given there's only 7 planets (5 revealed, 2 facedown) at game start and one planet goes away each turn...there's only 7 turns.

Also since unit cards only move once per turn using the command dial, seems like they are forcing conflict to happen at the 1st planet.

I'm guessing there will be event and unit abilities that allow you to move to other planets outside of the standard one planet move via command dial.

Still...I really don't know how I feel about these rules.

I can see perhaps players doing command dial move to non-1st planet to "secure" ahead of time, but if you have a lead, you might as well be going 1st planet every turn...

Blahhh.

I can see perhaps players doing command dial move to non-1st planet to "secure" ahead of time, but if you have a lead, you might as well be going 1st planet every turn...

I really can't agree with this - because you can deploy at any planet. You don't necessarily have to worry about moving your units to the first planet if you can deploy enough units there before the command dial move of warlord/HQ units.

Further, where you send your warlord (and thus, everyone else in the HQ at the beginning of the Command Phase), you automatically win the Command Struggle unless your warlord isn't ready for some reason or your opponent sends his warlord to that same planet. Even if you have a lead, there may be a particular planet, other than the first, where you really want to win the command struggle. Remember that winning command struggles gives you extra resources and cards. I read that as a strong possibility that any lead you have could disappear fast if you never win a command struggle.

Not only that, but if your warlord is there, you will also have a battle and could therefore end up allowed to use the planet's ability after winning the battle, planet captured or not. I can easily believe there would be times when triggering the planet ability of planet 2+ would be more important to you than capturing the first planet.

Also, since it really doesn't matter how many planets you take so long as you get 3 planets with the same type/icon, I can imagine a situation where, even if you have a lead, you don't care whether you capture the first planet or not because the type doesn't do anything for you - making it a much better play to send your guys to the next planet with a type you need rather than always to the first planet.

I mean, "darn"! Just reading the rules makes it seem like the strategy of picking planets to commit to is layered deep and "you might as well be going 1st planet every turn" would miss a lot.

Doesn't bode well dose it. That other **** LCG Star Wars is super fast as well and it sucks because of it. The 7 turns might feel longer as the combat is in a way its own cycle of turns. Still, I think 7 Turns max "could" be a real problem for this game. Only time will tell.

@ktom

Wow I totally missed the fact you can deploy at any planet. For some reason, I was under the impression that when you deployed, it went to your HQ, then when you did command dial move, you move everything in HQ to the planet...

*face palm*

If you assume that you deploy to HQ only, you can see why I had a dilemma... :)

If you assume that you deploy to HQ only, you can see why I had a dilemma... :)

Yeah. If you could only deploy to HQ, that would severely limit the strategic maneuvering of the game.

Doesn't bode well dose it. That other **** LCG Star Wars is super fast as well and it sucks because of it. The 7 turns might feel longer as the combat is in a way its own cycle of turns. Still, I think 7 Turns max "could" be a real problem for this game. Only time will tell.

I don't think 7 rounds will be an issue. As long as you are not trying to gun through the game at top speed, I think it will be fine. The box showed a 45 minute timeframe for the the game. I think with the 7 round minimum it will not only keep within those boundaries but also keep more tension in the game.

Edited by BuzzsawMF

While 7 turns doesn't sound like a lot, when you consider that fighting starts on turn 1 and you can win by killing the enemy warlord (or capturing 3 similar planets) I don't think many games will get that far.

those few games that do make it to turn 6-7 will be frantic fight for the last planet or to kill the warlord

besides if the 7 turn limit doesn't work it wont take much to simply increase the number of planets deployed (even above 10 if they release more planets or allow multiples of a planet)