Wondering whether to play this one........

By Titan, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

So, I haven't been around for a while and a few days ago I thought I'd check in out of curiosity. To my surprise, I see that the long awaited 40k LCG is getting ready to come out. Having played two LCGs already, lost interest and sold them off, I said to myself: "a couple of years ago, this would have been awesome, but now, meh".

But this being 40k, it has started to take root in my mind. I have been constantly thinking about it for the past couple of days. To the point where it seems almost inevitable that I will play it. A few things have jumped out at me. Forgive me if it has been debated already.

My first impression is that there are some striking similarities to the old HH and 40k CCGs of about a decade ago. Fighting over several locations, "the deployment" and a couple of artworks. I also see some mechanical similarities with Warhammer Invasion, such as Chaos looking like It will be doing a great deal of direct damage. I guess the faction similarities are such that it is to be expected. Obviously, there are a number of new mechanics as well.

My concern comes in whether this would turn out to be a similar experience for me to Invasion. Don't get me wrong, it is a good game. But my attention span for hobbies is such, that it seems eventually I lose interest and move on. With similar mechanics for my favorite faction, I fear it may turn out to be a bit stale for me. on the other hand, 40k has been a bit of an exception. I've read well over fifty 40k books, have followed the Heresy from day one, still have many of the old unit cards and I have codexes and an Emperor's Children army mostly painted.

So as you can see, I'm torn. I fear not having the staying power, so perhaps it is better that I don't get started, but I'm sorely tempted to give it a chance. If there is a game that might stick, this could be it. The one thing I hope to not see is a Core Set box full of cards, sitting idle in my closet for months on end. Wish me luck.

Personally, I hope you do play it. It is looking really fun and mechanically sound. I saw the announcement for this game and literally knew nothing about 40K. Now it is all I talk about and read.

Yeah I have been out of the 40k loop for along time besides an RPG here or there but this has gotten me wanting to play this game and get back into at least knowing what is going on in the 40k universe

Having played two LCGs already, lost interest and sold them off, I said to myself: "a couple of years ago, this would have been awesome, but now, meh".

Well this isn't a good sign.. I mean it is a LCG. Its similarities to the other games is stronger than its differences. My bet is that your problems with the other games will not suddenly disappear in this game.

My first impression is that there are some striking similarities to the old HH and 40k CCGs of about a decade ago.

Yeah I think it is fairly obvious they have tried to keep a kind of flavour form the original. Not so much inspired by but I think there are connections between the games.

My concern comes in whether this would turn out to be a similar experience for me to Invasion.(snip) But my attention span for hobbies is such, that it seems eventually I lose interest and move on. (snip) on the other hand, 40k has been a bit of an exception. I've read well over fifty 40k books, have followed the Heresy from day one, still have many of the old unit cards and I have codexes and an Emperor's Children army mostly painted.

Look, theme is important, I think most of us here, before the game is even launched are here because the 40K setting appeals to us, so I can understand the attraction. Still your words fill me with doubt. This is a LCG and so it requires a few things to be even worth considering.

You need someone, preferably a few people to play with. If you had problems finding games and your collection just sat around gathering dust the last few times you tried a LCG and you expect that not to change then what is the point? Your own "interest" is not the factor here, but how much it interests your friends as well.

The entire point of a LCG is the deck construction. You want players who will engange you and build decks. Even in a 1v1 situation with a love in partner (what a lot of casuals do) if both players are not building decks then the game will stale rather fast.

ALso, LCGs may be cheaper than a CCG but they are not cheap, with a pack a month and a box box like every 6 or so. Card will come out so fast and so often that unless you play a lot, and I mean a lot you will end up with much of the game feeling it is doing nothing.

So you need someone to play it with, you need someone interested enough to buy the packs as you do and build decks regularly to give you the varied experience the LCG is designed for and you need to someone who has a relatively decent cash flow, or focuses on the game and is not a generalist collector of tons of other games. This is common to all LCGS.

So as you can see, I'm torn. I fear not having the staying power, so perhaps it is better that I don't get started, but I'm sorely tempted to give it a chance. If there is a game that might stick, this could be it. The one thing I hope to not see is a Core Set box full of cards, sitting idle in my closet for months on end.

Look try it, why not? You can always sell it latter if it duds out. This is what many people do, get in on the ground floor and then if I like it I find a lot of Cores on ebay cheap to get my 2nd or 3rd Core to complete the set.

Also someone will probably make a table top application version, like OCTGN or LACKEY. You may want to just wait and try it that way. Something to consider. Personally I can not stand virtual table tops, especially octgn with all that retarded automation.. omg.. it sucks so baddy.

All in all from what you said my recommendation is to try it.. why the hell not. Though I expect you will sell it as the "LCG experience" is basically the same among all LCGs. If you tried 2 and they both crapped out on you, why would this one be different.. it won't be.