The Latest rules and FAQ update states

Protect: If a card is eligible to be protected

by something in play with the protect keyword,

you may reassign any amount of the damage

to the protecting card (up to the protecting

card’s remaining damage capacity). This

reassignment does not change the source of

the damage.

So does this mean if Luke were targeted for 3 damage I could have chewbacca take 2 of the damage because of Wookie life debt giving him the protect ability while Luke takes 1 ?

That is correct.

...assuming that Chewie still has 2 or more hit points remaining.

Interesting tidbit I just noticed when checking the cards with "Protect" on CardGameDb:

Most units with "Protect" have the keyword explained as "when an X Card you control would be damaged ..." while Moisture Farmer states "If a Tatooine card would be damaged, you may place the damage on this unit instead."

Does that mean that only Moisture Farmer can protect the cards of Friendly Players?

Additionally, what about the newer cards that have the Protect keyword but don't have its explanation? (e.g. Imperial Shadow Guard ) or Wookiee units when Wookiee Life Debt is in play? Do these only protect cards you control or any card you care to protect?

The text on cards is only a reminder. It's shorter. Always follow the rules definition of protect.

The text on cards is only a reminder. It's shorter. Always follow the rules definition of protect.

Good point ...

*fires up Foxit Reader* >scroll< >scroll< >scroll< Ah here it is ... Pg 25 " A card with the “Protect” keyword may take damage instead of any friendly card in play with the specified trait ."

Okay, so I have been playing it correctly.

Edited by WookieeRoar

Can Protect work against Force Lightning, say if you had a Guardian and wanted to save Yoda?

Can Protect work against Force Lightning, say if you had a Guardian and wanted to save Yoda?

No as Force Lightning does not deal any damage. It simply destroys it's target.