The future....

By GSGDaveyBoy, in Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition

Will we ever see a 3rd Expansion for this most awesome game any time soon (or not so soon)? Is there a fourth edition on the Horizon? I need to know!

An expansion, probably not anytime soon but maybe eventually. The original idea was for the game to not need any expansions at all. That hasn't quite worked.

A 4th edition, I sure hope not. Game is almost perfect as is, a new edition would require too many changes to justify and that would (in all likelihood) ruin it.

Personally, I would love to see them do a (new) RPG set in the universe, along with a starship combat game similar to X-Wing, and maybe a few other board games in different styles.

Well, there was a good 5 years between the first and second expansions, so I'd say a third is always a possibility, though it probably won't be soon.

A 4th edition is also a possibility, though I agree that the 3rd edition is basically perfect as-is. FFG doesn't usually issue a new edition unless they are making radical changes to a game (and usually well-thought out changes that are for the better.) I'm honestly not sure what kind of changes they could make to TI that would justify a new edition.

However, since Twilight Imperium is their flagship game, I'm reasonably certain they won't let it go OOP, one way or the other. If 3rd edition stops selling well enough to keep it in print, they might look at something new to keep the franchise alive.

Personally, I think the best way to generate new hype for the franchise now would be to make sister games in the same setting. REX was a good move in this department (though motivated by different reasons.)

TI3 is Christian T. Petersen's love child, he will never let it go out of style. I think as long as Fantasy Flight Games is in business there will always be Twilight Imperium stuff.

I personally would like to see them create some official digital support for creating your own components, scenarios and things like that which we can print out. For example I would love to see a Race Creation Tool that lets you create all the components of a race and then print it out without having to deal with art programs (kind of what they did with Tides of Iron and their scenario creator). That kind of stuff goes a long way to supporting the game without having to create more expansions, something like that I would pay for it a heartbeat and I'm pretty sure most TI3 fans would as well.

Agree with Steve O that new TI universe based games would be awesome as well, I would gobble up every inch of it. I would love to see a Twilight Imperium version of the Star Wars miniature game.

Agree with Steve O that new TI universe based games would be awesome as well, I would gobble up every inch of it. I would love to see a Twilight Imperium version of the Star Wars miniature game.

;) ;)

Personally, I would love to see them do a (new) RPG set in the universe, along with a starship combat game similar to X-Wing, and maybe a few other board games in different styles.

:( Edited by Forgottenlore

If that new star wars capital ship game was instead set.in the TI3 universe, I would be all over it.

Forever tempted to use TI3 as a campaign system but stopped by knowing that it would take half my life to complete.