Longshot Rifle - Heavy or Basic?

By Terraneaux, in Only War Rules Questions

What the title says.

What book?

It's a special sniper rifle from Shield of Humanity. Unfortunately, I'm afb right now, so I can't answer definitively but I'm pretty sure it's a basic weapon.

The thing that's special about it is it's ammo, anyway.

Shield of Humanity p. 127

Weapon decription says when user removes Barrel and Stock, the weapon is counted as a Pistol weapon instead of Basic weapon. and can be used as like.

But in the Table 3-14 it shows as Heavy weapon.

So now I understand why you asked Terraneaux.

"To the Rules Question, Robin!"

Edited by Routa-maa

I would say, because of that description "instead of Basic weapon" that it is one. I mean, the GM could fluff it as requiring a brace (like a heavy weapon), but otherwise, a Ratling would have to buy proficiency in it, as they don't start out with heavy proficiency.

Again, player interpretation, not actual final say.

I'd agree that it is a typo. There is nothing heavy weapon about it, save that word on the table, in a set of books known for typos. They didn't even get all of "wielders" in the gun's descriptive text. I suppose that, if the Heavy rules mandate the use of bracing and a tripod, which sniper rifles often appreciate, and alleviate the wonder of what benefit does this weapon draw from the tripod, if it isn't heavy, those are good, but I don't think it is a heavy weapon, rather a typo. Only my opinion, of course.

Isn't there a general ruling saying Table Trumps Text or vice versa? I forget which it is.

Personally, I think it would've been cool if it counted as Basic while Braced, but Heavy when not, and if you strip it down, it becomes Basic. That way, Ratlings could use it, but it'd still pretty much be a traditional anti-armour pew pew half-cannon.

Heh, it is rather insane. With enough DoS on your roll, along with the Tank Hunter Talent, it can be pretty good at damaging and taking out lighter armored vehicles.

Does suck that it has a clip size of only 1 though. Not real good in combat that's extended, since you can't mod it (not standard kit) and the least you can reduce it to is a half action.

You could still put a fire selector on it.

In my group: only if you can source it from an OW book.

The Vox Operated upgrade could be used as a fire selector, as the description therein is ambiguous.

Additionally, if the weapon is equipped with a fire selector, the operation of that upgrade may also be controlled, simply by speaking aloud."

Unless we assume it to refer to the Lasgun Variable Setting rule of p. 175?

Either way, it doesn't affect the statement

Does suck that it has a clip size of only 1 though. Not real good in combat that's extended, since you can't mod it (not standard kit) and the least you can reduce it to is a half action.

As said before.... I don't really think there's much to be done (aside from GM fiat) to expand the clip size. Customization wouldn't be allowed, since it'll pretty much never be a regiment weapon (unless you're all ratlings and agreed to it). But I also don't mind to a degree, since it's a pretty nasty weapon.

Does stink that acquiring ammo for it can be a pain, since it's very rare. But get 5 rounds per 'clip' isn't too bad.

Regimental rules exist to be broken.

... just because DH had a silly fire selector which was mainly used to extend ammo capacity, doesn't mean that OW does.

Hey, it was in BC too. Definitely isn't standard, but a highly motivated Ratling with a bit of technical skill isn't going to let that stop him.

Regimental rules exist to be broken.

... just because DH had a silly fire selector which was mainly used to extend ammo capacity, doesn't mean that OW does.

Hey, it was in BC too. Definitely isn't standard, but a highly motivated Ratling with a bit of technical skill isn't going to let that stop him.

The wording of the BC version, I think, strongly implies that it is intended to split one clip up into multiple kinds of ammo rather than adding additional clips.

Making an extended magasine shouldn't be too much of a problem realistically speaking. Beyond a certain size, however, the magasine is going to become unweildly and a sniper's inherent mobility is going to be limited (A one-shot sniper rifle shouldn't be an issue, as technically, you should be moving after every shot anyway, to avoid the enemy pinpointing your position...). If you're going to use it in a stationary capacity, as a sharpshooter in line infantry for example, extending the magasine makes perfect sense. I'd simply swap it out for a belt feeder and put the thing on a tripod. Thing is, that sort of modification just miiiight be tech heresy.

IIRC, there is an extended magazine weapon upgrade or customization for Basic-class solid projectile weapons in HotE.

Seriously, look at BC, at the weapons upgrades table.

It says something like "any weapon with a clip size of larger than 1 can take this."

This is senseless (because there is no reason that a 1-shot weapon could not have extra magazines attached to it), unless you are actually loading multiple kinds of rounds into a single magazine rather than adding on a new magazine.

So if you get a fire selector on a gun with 18 bullets, you do not get 54 bullets. You split those 18 bullets up into up to 3 different kinds of rounds.

Edited by bogi_khaosa

This is senseless (because there is no reason that a 1-shot weapon could not have extra magazines attached to it), unless you are actually loading multiple kinds of rounds into a single magazine rather than adding on a new magazine.

Not so senseless at all, in my opinion. 1-shot weapons do not have a clip/magazine at all, they are hand loaded with every shot, and therefore there is no way to extend or add fire selector, witch I agree shoudn't triple the clip size just allow you to load up to 3 kinds of ammo into one standard sized clip and choose witch type you want to shoot.

Edited by Elmer84