2 Rules question. Killed investigator and barrier.

By Lightster, in Mansions of Madness

Hi guys, just starting to play the game and I got 2 questions.

1) Do barriers start blocking the door?

2) I was doing house of lynch C1, and as a keeper action I attacked a investigator and killed him. just after this step I place a time token and revealed the event IV, thus revealing the Objective card too. In his next turn, does the player plays another investigator (since he died when card wasn't revealed)? or is he eliminated?

thanks guys.

Amazing game btw.

1) No, barriers (like an ordinary bookshelf) are just decoration in a room. It takes the investigator's active intent to turn it into a barricade.

2) Well the rules say an investigator is eliminated if he his killed when the objective is revealed so I'd say that he gets to start a new investigator. Typically what I do is have the player choose the replacement investigator immediately and then bring them into the game on their next turn. Since the investigator died before the objective was revealed, I would have no reason not to tell the player to pick a new investigator. This investigator is not subject to elimination, in this case.

Page 24 of the rulebook states (emphasis mine):

Normally, the player chooses a new investigator on his next turn. However if the Objective card has already been revealed (see page 16) when the investigator is killed , the player is instead eliminated from the game.

The only thing that matters is the status of the objective at the time of death. If the objective has not yet been revealed at the time the investigator dies, the player chooses a replacement investigator next turn. Anything that happens after the investigator dies does not matter -- the player get to choose a replacement next turn, even if the Objective Card is revealed in the meantime.

Another way to think of it is this: The normal rule is that whenever an investigator dies,a replacement can be chosen on the next turn. As soon as the Objective Card is revealed, all investigators that die from that point on cannot be replaced.