How does changing a plot work?

By Kjun, in 2. AGoT Rules Discussion

If I change my plots with a card anytime after the plot phase, how does it work with gold, initiative, and claim. Since you already decided those factors during the plot phase?

I believe you have answered your own question. As all of these things have already resolved nothing would be done in regards to them. However, I hear event speed Valor Morghulis can be quite handy! :D

Thank you. I was just curious about if you flip your plot and have already resolved who goes first, then flip another plot if then initiative would resolve again?

Well, be careful because those things are not all determined during the plot phase. They are, in fact, determined as such:

1. Gold/Income is counted when the player becomes the active player in Marshalling.

2. "Total Initiative" is, at all times, the total of the plot card and active modifiers.

3. First Player is determined by comparing total initiatives in the plot phase.

4. Claim is determined separately for each challenge when it resolves.

You always use the plot that is currently revealed when the check/determination is performed, and once made, you don't revisit it.

So, for example, you use Bran pre-plot (plot #1) then reveal one at the normal time (plot#2), after which First Player is determined, using the current plot (#2).

You reveal a plot at the normal time (#1), count income in Marshalling using the current plot (#1), then reveal a new plot with higher income. You don't get to recalculate income and gain the difference.

You reveal a claim-2 plot in the plot phase. You win your first challenge and get claim-2 from your current plot, but then Bungled Orders forces you to reveal a new plot with claim-1. You win your second challenge and get claim-1 from your new current plot.

Make sense? It's always about the current plot at the time you need the reference.

Thank you Ktom for your response! I just have one last question on this subject. If you win total initiative, can you defer to be the second player?

Yes. The person with the high initiative gets to CHOOSE the First Player. They do not have to choose themselves. There are a lot of situations when people might want to go second/last, in fact.