Trade (Armourer) & Crafting

By Enmi, in Deathwatch House Rules

So, last session was a pretty passive one because my KT mainly returned to Erioch from its last mission. And i give them like, a week, where they can do whatever they want before receiving a new mission. While the Salamander apothecary and Dark Angel devastator mainly focused their free time on training and meditations, the Iron Hand techmarine asked me if he can use his Trade (Armourer) skill to try to forge a weapon for himself.

I found the idea interesting, but i don't really know how to play this ... He wants to craft a power-sword, so basically I made him pay a Signature Wargear Talent with a discount on it, and I made him roll a skill test, which he failed, and consider that he will need more time to craft it. When he will come back from his current mission, I plan on having him do three Trade (Armourer) rolls :

-one to determine if he managed to gather the components needed to forge the weapon.

-one to determine how many time it will take to forge the weapon

-one to determine the quality of the weapon, with each additional week of work giving a +10 to the test (I think I'll play it like this : 0-2 DoS : basic, 3-5 DoS : exceptionnal, 6+ DoS : master-crafted)

Does it look fair to you ? How would you handle crafting in DW ?

Edited by Enmi

Rules wise, if he wants to keep his sword, he needs to either pay signature wargear once or pay the requisition every time. The salamanders have a chapter skill where they spend xp to improve their gear via forging.

That said, i think you should advance him more signature wargear slots based on his forging items.