Countering

By TheTingle, in BattleLore

Hello Everyone,

I just purchased this game online and I'm reading the rules before the game arrives. I understand I'll need to play a few games to fully understand the mechanics, but there is one mechanic that the rules don't elaborate on and that mechanic is countering. Below are a few questions on the subject. Sorry if this has been answered elsewhere.

1. Why would a player choose not to counter? It seems like a free attack. Is there a tactic for choosing not to counter (considering all the conditions are met to counter)?
  2. If a unit is attacked by two separate armies, can I counter each separate army? Can i only counter one attacking army? Is there a limit?
  3. Are combat mechanics the same? Can I still generate lore and use abilities if those dice are rolled?

Thank you for your assistance and look forward to playing the game.

1) There really isn't a reason you'd choose not to counter. There are some cases where you cannot counter because of some effect, though. The only reason I can think of is that you really don't want to risk a Morale result to retreat the unit, or if you want to wait to try and kill the other unit with another one of your units for some reason.

2) There is no limit. As long as you remain in the same hex, and as long as some other effect isn't preventing countering, you can counter against every attack made by adjacent figures.

3) A counter is basically exactly like a regular attack, except that when you counter you cannot use Advance or Pursue, and must attack the unit that attacked you. You still generate Lore and trigger other abilities as normal.

Awesome thank you for your reply.