Miniatures Gallery

By Adeptus-B, in Fan Art

I have a new-ish camera that I've been meaning to play with, so I decided to take some pictures of my Deathwatch Kill-Team ( codename: Blackthorn! ). The camera has no manual focus, only auto-focus, so I wasn't able to get any clear pics of individual figures (-since the camera, in its wisdom, usually chooses to focus on some random background element rather than what I'm trying to photograph). So, this batch of pics will be group shots demonstrating a variety of my group's terrain collection.

ATZCAWh.jpg

Two of the 'standard' 40K terrain types: a battlefield (above), and a field-field (below).

09j92e7.jpg

I made a bunch of Chaos Waste terrain for a Chaos Warband skirmish game that appeared in White Dwarf several years ago; a friend and I played exactly one game before our interests were diverted, and the terrain was 'mothballed'. I've been looking for an excuse to trot it out again.

Gmw7g0D.jpg

Even though I don't like the heavy emphasis on Chaos in the Jericho Reach setting (-my DW campaign is set in Dark Heresy 's Calixis Sector, partly for that reason), I think a special mission where the Kill-Team must pursue an adversary to a world in the Screaming Vortex would make for a fun change of pace.

yoYsF3x.jpg

w0OMlZv.jpg

These swamps were made by painting bare MDF boards with a mottled, rippling pattern of black and blue-green, then applying several coats of gloss varnish. The 'islands' are standard hills and the bases of the GW plastic tree sets, dropped on top of the 'water'.

uen8I2T.jpg

5M1mia1.jpg

"Deathworld, shmethworld- I'm wearin' power armour !"

buPQome.jpg

Edited by Adeptus-B

I've got a buttload of Necromunda terrain (ah, Necromunda , how I miss thee...), but most of it is in dire need of repair, so rather than risk it falling apart on me, I'll use this building/refinery/pump station-thingy made from GW 's Manufactorium terrain kit to represent my industrial terrain.

XUwUlPK.jpg

Here's a desert settlement. The buildings are cardboard packaging inserts, mounted on pink insulation foam.

droWRP6.jpg

amyLs6H.jpg

One of my players has a collection of Space Hulk tiles, which occasionally get pressed into service.

Vjr0N10.jpg

Here's a run-in with some rad-spiders (see the SPACE HULK VERMIN link in my signature below), made from figs from the WHFB Goblin Spider Rider set.

4D657Sq.jpg

Sometimes, instead of 3-d terrain, I'll use a battlemat drawn with Sharpies on a length of wrapping paper. Here is one representing an area of compacted wreckage inside a space hulk. The 'random encounter' beastie is an Ebon Geist (from the Adversaries section of the Rogue Trader rulebook), custom-made from a combination of Ungor and Kroot bits plus some plasticard elements.

kVQ5KO8.jpg

I thought it might come in handy to have some non-DW Space Marines to put in an appearance on the occasional mission. My first instinct was to paint 'generic' SMs as Ultramarines, but then it occured to me that, in the Calixis Sector, the Chapter the Kill-Team would be most likely to encounter would be the Storm Wardens.

6d7EbUz.jpg

My next batch of pictures will focus on adversaries...

Looks VERY nice! How do you handle range and such? :)

How do you handle range and such? :)

We use a tape measure, just like in the tabletop game. I usually go with a scale of 1/2" = 1 meter; I've learned through experience that the recommended scale of 1" = 1 meter makes it too easy for combat to spill of of the table.

Okay, just asking, with ranges easily stretching into 100meters or more it does sound like it could spill over the table alright.

sounds great, if a bit annoying if you want miniatures for everything. I play the game so my players would meet...orks :P

Okay, just asking, with ranges easily stretching into 100meters or more it does sound like it could spill over the table alright.

sounds great, if a bit annoying if you want miniatures for everything. I play the game so my players would meet...orks :P

For long-range sniping, I just go with a hand-drawn map and verbal descriptions. The minis and terrain are reserved for close-in assaults, where even a meter to one direction or another can have a huge impact on line-of-sight.

And, yeah, I've been buying minis that I wouldn't otherwise have collected just for DW and DH . I had no interest in collecting an Orks in 40K , but I've been buying them for DW . Now I have nearly enough to field a viable army of them in 40K ...

Alright, sounds like alot of fun though :) Only close range makes sense I suppose. Afterall average range for a bolter is 100 meters, so even that's 50 inches, with is a looong way. Sounds like a nice way to let the players play tactically, and grow a fun 40k collection. I mostly own orks, with dark vengeance and stormclaw sets up fill out others. Do post more!