High power character builds?

By BETTAMAN8, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

im looking for a super powered Void master build. but if you have any other super builds for other classes that would be cool to. it may offend some that i ask for OP builds sorry for that. but after reading forums with game masters saying they have super powered archmilitants or people with 70+ fellowship at level one it would be cool to see some of these builds

Uhhh, super powered at what?

I have no idea what you're asking for, but if you want to achieve maximum combat power with a void-master, your only choice is to get Hand of War for a heavy weapon proficiency, the best heavy weapon your GM will allow, and as much BS as you can.

But this isn't Dungeons & Dragons. There are very few exploitative builds - most (minor) exploits come from alternate ranks and most major ones come from abusing equipment rules. The Colchite Servo-Master is an incredibly powerful alternate rank anyone can take - lets you attack several times in a round, and gives you the Step Aside talent before anyone else, for whatever reason.

Never heard of this "Colchite Servo-Master," though it does remind me of DH Ascension stuff that I brain dumped. What book can it be found it?

Navis Primer p. 72 Not so OP in my opinion.

How is being able to attack 6 times in a round not OP?

Dat Plasma Cannon barrage.

Not "so OP" (as other things can be).

One Haywire Grenade and you're boned

It's really easy to build someone who's really powerful at some things, but there's few all-powerful builds, especially since any GM can shut you down with enough hate research.

Sorceror with Warp-Time is moderately unstoppable.

One Haywire Grenade and you're boned

Not true. Your autocannon will still function perfectly for the 1d5 rounds that your servitors are left relying on their own BS. Haywire grenades only have a blast radius of two squares, and the Colchite implant has a much longer range than that, you see. If the servitors are cut off from your control, they will continue carrying out their last order, which is presumably to bombard a group of enemies into powder.

And are you really saying the GM should have haywire grenade-using enemies in every encounter for the rest of the campaign? It's going to be one hell of a monotonous one, if he has to make sure each encounter includes a counter for every OP tactic in the party.

Edited by Magellan

You could make void master OP at piloting, using point buy system.

Homeworld: Footfallen

Birthright: Scavenger

Lure: Crusade - Warrior

Trials: Hand of War

Motivation: Fortune

Stats

WS 40

BS 40

S 30
T 30

Ag 58

Int 30

Per 30

WP 40

Fel 40

With dodge, you are really hard to hit, and monster at piloting. For mere 350 xp, you have 68 ag, for 1250 more you can have 78 Ag, after about 3 game sessions. Buy MIU interface to link with the ship for another +10. Skill on +20, plus talented plus MIU, you'll have piloting skill on 118 with re-roll (+ ship manuver).

From Hand of War take Heavy Weapon Training (Bolt), and buy heavy bolter. You can invest more points in Strenght instead of willpower as it is cheap for you anyway, and get bulging biceps at rank 3. Or simply buy suspensors. By rank 3 you are as good as you get, then you can invest in other stats, sound constitution and other fluffy skills.

For more MinMaxing - lower your WS, and buff your BS to maximum. At higher ranks get Augumenticist Alternate rank, and get Physical Perfection, that works like The Flesh is Weak or/and Arch Heretek, that can get TFiW, but for horrendous price.

Awakened Psyker is also nice, you can get some cool powers, like Telekinetic Shield.

For wicked stuff get:

- Flip Belt

- some field - Conversion Field is ok for start, just get everyone photo visors

- Some power Armour, subskin armour, cranial armour

- Pain editor - essentialy immunity to stun and critical hits effects.

- organgrinder rounds - the best bolter rounds around

Edited by Amaimon

I recommend against getting power armour. The +10% chance enemies get to hit you is not worth the +1 armour over light power armour in my opinion. If you can, get the assault cannon from Inquisitor's Handbook, it's even better than a heavy bolter with organgrinder rounds. The blackbone bracing from Into the Storm is more convenient to have than suspensors, and you don't have to spend XP on strength and bulging biceps. I would argue that TK shield is not worth it on a psyker with a mere 2 psy rating, and odds are you'll want many of the skills and talents that regular Void-Master levels give.

I also want to protest against that entire build. Mediocre Fel and WS, appaling T and so on. The important part of Agility is your agility bonus - an extra 8% chance of success is meaningless when you're at 100%+ with every roll you make anyway.

Assuming point buy, free origin path selection, and standard Rogue Trader rules - though these might actually be connected, I honestly don't remember all of that.

Homeworld: Fortress World - +5 BS and WP

Birthright: Mutant (Aberration) - 200xp for +10 Strength and Agility

Lure of the Void: Warrior - 250xp for +5 Ag and the rare but only moderately useful Meditation

Trials and Travails: Hand of War - Heavy Weapons (SP)

Motivation: Fortune

WS: 25 +5

BS: 45 +5

S: 30 +10

T: 40

Ag: 45 +15

Int: 25 - (1d10+5) (If you luck out, you could hit 10 and become immune to Delude)

Per: 25

WP: 45 +5

Fel: 25 -15

And then you have 25 points left to spend on whatever you want. Maybe you wanna be decent at close combat too, or maybe you wanna have good Perception. Then again, maybe you want to take your Intelligence back up to near-human levels to qualify for some alternate ranks. The galaxy is your oyster.

Disclaimer: I don't actually condone this sort of thing. I'm just showing off.

Void-Masters are awful at combat anyway.

Make sure to get armour that conceals your hideously mutated body, and grab a jump pack for mobile artillery.

Maybe you could get your GM to let you play as a felinid if you nag him hard enough. Fluff the Fel penalty as cruel aloofness (and hairballs) and the lack of intelligence as cats being dumb as ****.

Edited by Magellan

@Magellan - I agree with you, you dont go out of home without at least T40. Assault cannon of course, or autocannon is better. About Power Armour i meant Light Power armour, I would never take normal one, unless it's artificer armour.

Take lathe wrought armour if you can.

Other possibility is the holo suit that gives enemies penalty -30 to hit you.

My proposition was more "playable", than this hairy monstrosity. The Ag is that high, only to show that you can :)

@BETTAMAN8 - if you want an Explorator Build with 20+ armour, give us a shout.

Edited by Amaimon

I'm not Bettaman8 but I'd love to see a 20+ armor build.

Very easy, here we go!

Origin path - whatever, except one must have

Lure of the Void - tainted, pay xp to pick Wyrd Mutation, and get PR 2, plus two powers - Telekinetic Crush and Telekinetic Shield

Max toughness, but minimally 40, max willpower and intelligence for good explorator. Starting stats can look like this:

WS 20

BS 40

S 30

T 45

Ag 45

Int 53

Per 28

WP 45

Fel 25

On first ranks proceed as normal explorator - take GQ cortex implant, increase INT, WP, T and Agility - it will decrease with implants like Machinator Array. Take SC, FL Adeptus Mechanicus and Archeotech on +10 on the second rank.

At rank 3 you become Acolyte of Abraxas gaining another +3 to PR for 1500 xp. Your luminen blast gains force quality making it quite powerfull ranged weapon. Also buy warp conduit to push stronger.

At rank 4 become Genetor, and take 3 mutations - ideally Brute - +10S and T, Feels no Pain - +5 Wounds, and Regeneration.

At rank 5 you can become Awakened Psyker for further +1 to PR, and some psychic techniques.

So to sum up your PR is 2 (wyrdling) + 3 (acolyte) + 1 (awakened psyker) = 6 at rank 4 if you skipped genetor, better than astropath.

If you have psybernetics, you get +1 to PR when pushing, +1 for warp conduit, +4 for renegade psykers - thats +6 to PR when pushing, for a total 12 PR

Toughness: 6 + 1 brute + 1 machinator array = 8

Telekinetic Shield: 12

Bionic Heart: +1 T on body

Subskin armour: +2 on arms, body and legs

Cranial armour: +1 on head

Artificer Armour: 10

Tarsus Pattern Suppression Shield: 4 on body and Arm

The Flesh is Weak: 4

Toughness: 8 (9 body), Armour: Head 27, Left Arm 32, Body 32, Right Arm 28, Legs 28

(Assuming you wont blow up when casting telekinetic shield, a safe version has 6 AP less, so Head 21, LArm 26, Body 26, Right Arm 22, Legs 22)

Bionic heart gives +1AP (unless I'd missed some errata on that).

Nevertheless you forget about:

1. mining helot augmentics form Inquisitor Handbook (+10S and T).

2. amour upgrades from Hostile Aquisitions and Edge of Abyss (effectivly +2AP).

3. Catapharct Armour from Lathe Worlds (in Myrmidons profile, p. 93, I figured that with this build you're heretek as hell with those psybernetics already so why not) with 12 AP (on normal quality).

4. Radicals handbook.

Disclaimer: I treat this very thread as a though and 40k rpg crunch exercise. Power gaming can be ok, only if all PC and GM are ok with it.

In Amaimon's defence, it was an AP build, not a toughness build we were after. It would have been easily possible to increase starting toughness as well. And for overall defence, I would argue that if you can't dodge, you're inevitably going to die regardless of your armour, and that makes the Mining Helot thingy not worth it, due to the Agility drop.

You got me with cataphract armour, though. Man, I hate that book so much.

You can tighten the screws on the build a little bit further, though.

Dual-wield Supression shields for armour to both arms, and rely on your 16 mechadendrites and MIU weapon interfaces for weapons. Close combat builds only, but still.

The bionic heart gives +1 *armour* to the body, rather than toughness, so up your armour rating there.

If the Book of Judgement is allowed (and if you use Faith & Coin, I imagine it will be) there's the armoured overcoat for +1 armour to all locations, and the tower shield, which provides armour to the arm, body and the head or feet depending on whether you're moving.

Don't forget to convince your GM that Electrical Succour means you never have to sleep, so you can Push for a TK shield of 12 and then sustain it indefinitely.

Edited by Magellan

I know of those things, I didn't use them on purpose, only "RT stuff".

If we go this way, you can use enchanced potentia coil and Luminen talents from LW, for even more powerfull force blast. Or simply use thunder hammer or force sword with precision telekinesis. You dont need hands.

Get my favorite flip belt to get +20 to dodge.

Ablative armour upgrade from BC for +5

Armour monger +1 or +2 (depending on version of the talent).

Lathe Wrought - halve Pen, plus +1 for BQ

Ah, but your armour will drop if you have to sustain two powers at the same time. Why bother with that if you have thunder hammer mechadendrites already?

Just to point out that the Assault Cannon (and in theory autocannon too) are Emplaced weapons and not Heavy weapons, thus are not man portable even with bulging biceps. However if your GM is allowing you to pick the broken/OP items from different game lines and mash them together why do you even care about rules at that point - just blag whatever you want! Personally i'd ask for a baleful eye, best crafstmanship upgraded to contain a lascannon equivalent instead of hellpistol, then use electrical succour to infinitely power it.

Blahblah - Integrated Assault Cannon = 3d10+5 X, Pen 5, -/-/10, Tearing, Strom :P

This build has low WS, and Strenght, thats why using precision telekinesis with WP 65. Losing 1 AP is not that big deal. Or just spam those luminen flares, yolo.

@Kasatka - lascannon sucks, because dodge.

Electrical Succour doesn't work that way, and "emplaced weapons" is not a thing. You'd lose 2 AP with precision TK, your luminen attacks are gonna suck since Force only gives +1d10 damage in RT (I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm not) and can be dodged as easily as lascannon shots.

And at a glance, I think making this build high strength/WS would be easy, especially with the +40 strength from Cataphract armour, Brute and Machinator Array.

Though if you wanna go really, really nuts, there's technically nothing preventing you from using MIU Weapons interfaces, sticking one Integrated Assault Cannon on each shoulder (nothing in MIU weapons interface says you can't use heavy weapons with it, and this build is probably big and strong enough to carry them) and dual-wielding heavy weapons as a free action.

Have we taken it as far as we can go now?

Edited by Magellan

Luminen flare with Enchanced Potentia Coil and Corrupted Charge deals 2d10+12 E, Pen 12 Blast (6), Force, Shocking - not too shabby. Blast 6 is also hard to dodge for not eldar/PC enemies. Force deals 1d10 per DoS

I wouldn't allow Cataphact Armour, as it isn't in the Armoury section.

I would disallow most parts of this build. Even so, I wasn't counting on elite advances from other books being allowed. Fair enough, Luminen Flare would be worth the effort for most mooks.

Only RT items? Thought those psionics implants are from Lathe Worlds to? (Now I see we're using just RT as nobody propose quite obvious terminator armour.)

If we're taking stuff only from RT then way not double wield suppression shields with adamantium hilts (Faith and Coin)? 8AP to arms and 16 AP to body even without any other armour makes me weep.

Aaaaand DE Skyboard from Soul Reaver p. 125 for 2 AP more and other nasty stuff - being also cool item for OP Void Masters (to answer original poster quastion)

Caunting only body AP without psionic powers:

bq artificer armour 11AP

hostile aquisitions and edge of abyss armour upgrades 2AP

armour implants 2AP

bionic heart 1AP

dual wiedling adamantium hilted suppression shields 16 AP

skyboard 2AP

machine trait (5) 5AP

39 AP and broken as f... :D

Magellan: I fully agree with disallowing about 90% of those - yet now it's fun!