Determining Alignment

By Ferrell, in Black Crusade Rules Questions

I'm trying to find out how to properly determine a character's alignment. There is a conflict in the Core Book.

On page 75 it says:

"If they have five more abilities (in total) associated with one particular deity than they have with any of the other Chaos gods, then they are said to be Aligned to that god’s path."
If they have changed Alignment (by having five more advancements dedicated to any one Chaos Power than any other), then they switch their Alignment to the God in question."

On page 84 it says:

"If a character ever has three more Advances that are associated with a specific Ruinous
Power than any other, then they are said to be Devoted to that Dark God."
It make sense to me that if you are unaligned it could only take 3 alignment points to become devoted to a particular God. Making it more challenging for unaligned characters to resist the Ruinous Powers to remain so. Once you are devoted to a particular God it would be reasonable to assume it would take more of an influence to sway your from your patron.
Also does the starting experience spent count towards alignment? i.e. 1000 xp for Humans, and 500 for CSM.
Any feedback would be appreciated it.
Edited by Ferrell

Same question was asked below about the alignment thing:

http://community.fantasyflightgames.com/index.php?/topic/104857-new-player-alignment-question/

We came to the conclusion that it's supposed to always be five not three as either way should take the same amount of effort to progress but take how you like.

However the starting experience and skills/talents spent does count towards alignment. P75 (Core, bit in bold) mentions that all archetypes start as unaligned (unless you're looking at advanced ones from supplementary books) and all advances as part of that don't count. The starting experience is not part of the starting archetype though so spending there I would count it as progress towards devotion.

However the starting experience and skills/talents spent does count towards alignment. P75 (Core, bit in bold) mentions that all archetypes start as unaligned (unless you're looking at advanced ones from supplementary books) and all advances as part of that don't count. The starting experience is not part of the starting archetype though so spending there I would count it as progress towards devotion.

Calgor, your wording here is very confusing. First you say that starting experience and skills/talents does not count towards alignment, but then you mention that starting experience is not part of the starting archetype, so spending it should count toward progress towards devotion.

To clarify for Ferrell:

• Your starting Talents/Skills does not count towards Alignment.
  • All your advances taken, including the spent starting experience, counts towards Alignment.

Think of it like this. You make your character, cross the T:s, dot the I:s, apply all the Talents and all the Skills. Then you spend your starting experience, and note your Advances taken down on the "Advancements and Alignment" page of your Character Sheet.

Everything that goes on the Advancements and Alignment page counts towards alignment. Anything you as a player have spent experience on, counts towards Alignment. Whatever you get as part of your Archetype, choice of Species, etc, doesn't, because it's not taken as an Advancement.

This leads to some mechanical oddities in the game system, if you are building a character that you want to align with a certain Chaos God, where you are essentially penalized for choosing to start with certain Skills or Talents as part of your Archetype, meaning you can't take them as Advancements later or spend your Starting Experience on them. For the purpose of Alignment, you are actually better off choose to take Talents or Skills that are part of your Archetype that are opposite to your character concept/choice of god, due to the fact that if you take them later, they'll either cost more (because you are aligned to their antithesis) or count against your choice of alignment.

It's odd, but there you have it.

Thanks for your replies! I appreciate the info.

There is one other oddity and there was a forum on it that i don't' remember the title off the top of my head. From the expansion books there are archetypes that start aligned but with no xp to spend. "so logically i'm at 0-0-0-0 and if i hit my next 10 corruption before getting to 0-5-0-0 i'm kicked back to unaligned. Well that sucks."

If i remember correctly the conclusion was that archetypes should start their counters at 5-0-0-0 so they will maintain alignment as long as they don't start buying other alignments without an offset.

There is one other oddity and there was a forum on it that i don't' remember the title off the top of my head. From the expansion books there are archetypes that start aligned but with no xp to spend. "so logically i'm at 0-0-0-0 and if i hit my next 10 corruption before getting to 0-5-0-0 i'm kicked back to unaligned. Well that sucks."

If i remember correctly the conclusion was that archetypes should start their counters at 5-0-0-0 so they will maintain alignment as long as they don't start buying other alignments without an offset.

Calgor, your wording here is very confusing. First you say that starting experience and skills/talents does not count towards alignment, but then you mention that starting experience is not part of the starting archetype, so spending it should count toward progress towards devotion.

To clarify for Ferrell:

• Your starting Talents/Skills does not count towards Alignment.
  • All your advances taken, including the spent starting experience, counts towards Alignment.
Think of it like this. You make your character, cross the T:s, dot the I:s, apply all the Talents and all the Skills. Then you spend your starting experience, and note your Advances taken down on the "Advancements and Alignment" page of your Character Sheet.

Everything that goes on the Advancements and Alignment page counts towards alignment. Anything you as a player have spent experience on, counts towards Alignment. Whatever you get as part of your Archetype, choice of Species, etc, doesn't, because it's not taken as an Advancement.

This leads to some mechanical oddities in the game system, if you are building a character that you want to align with a certain Chaos God, where you are essentially penalized for choosing to start with certain Skills or Talents as part of your Archetype, meaning you can't take them as Advancements later or spend your Starting Experience on them. For the purpose of Alignment, you are actually better off choose to take Talents or Skills that are part of your Archetype that are opposite to your character concept/choice of god, due to the fact that if you take them later, they'll either cost more (because you are aligned to their antithesis) or count against your choice of alignment.

It's odd, but there you have it.

What he said. I was tired...be nice.

Easiest solution that works is to just assume that Advanced Archetypes that start aligned have 5 advances to whatever god their aligned to.

Or you could take the more advanced route: identify the 'base archetype' the advanced archetype is based on, compare the difference and calculate the amount of purchased advances and their alignment.

Edited by BrotharTearer

^

|

That is a much shorter way of saying what i said.