Your thoughts on the expansions

By MechaBri.Zilla, in Warhammer: Diskwars

So, I have both expansions now, and have had plenty of time to look over the new disks, cards, and rules. Though, I've only been able to get in one game with the Vampire Counts.

So far I love what I see. I have some minor gripes, but I love the flavor of the Dwarves and VC's.

VC seem like they may be difficult to master, because you need to balance the number of disks that you willingly send to their graves, with the need to have something on the board at the beginning of each round. This could make them tricky.

Dwarves look like a pretty straight forward army, though I've found that I have trouble building a balanced list. It almost feels like you need to go either straight up brawlers with a little support, or build a gun line, due to the higher than average cost of Dwarf Disks. That said, I haven't had a chance to use them yet, and I could be wrong about this.

I think I'd have liked more of the terrain and scenarios, and larger terrain. However, I'm not horribly disappointed.

The 'teaser' armies are all very nice, and I think I'll give them all a shot, but obviously, they are no where near fleshed out. Which of course leaves me hungry for the next expansions. Which I hope focus on Lizardmen and Skaven. Though I wouldn't be disappointed with the Elves as the focus either, I just find the Lizardmen and Skaven more interesting.

Any thoughts on the new factions? Did the expansions hit what you wanted, or did they leave you wishing for more?

Edited by MechaBri.Zilla

I'm loving the new expansions (got 2 of each). Diskwars is the only game my group plays these days, we think it's that good.

The dwarves and VC play very differently from the other factions, which is really great. Out of the "teaser" armies, the wood elves seem to hit the table the most.

I'm really looking forward to the next set of expansions and hope that Ogre Kingdoms get added at some point (pretty please, FG :) )

Edited by kazik

I'd love to see a neutral box myself, with Ogre Kingdoms and Vampire Counts. Here's hoping the game is successful enough for FFG to consider it.

I'm expecting to play some thing weekend, and be able to get the Dwarves out for a test run. Wood Elves probably have the best disks in their preview, from what I can see. I'd certainly like to give them a try, but I have a soft spot for the Lizardmen.

I’ve done a few play-throughs with the new disks. I have to say that the Dwarves are looking very strong, especially if you focus on brawling with Queen Helga. A pack of swift hammerers are impressive in combat, and if you can park them on some defensive terrain things can get silly very quickly. All of their heroes are quite dangerous in combat, and I have also used gun-lines to some success. Overall, they have shown up well in the games we have played.

VC seem more difficult to use. I have experimented with light units revolving around massed banshees (very fun and unpredictable) as well as with heavier builds. Their units tend to be a bit overpriced in my opinion, as they are all build with reanimate in mind, but they are fun to use. It is difficult to strike the balance of losing units and reanimating versus using your heroes to fight and actually winning combats. They have been competitive, winning about half of their games so far (limited sample size, though).

As for the regiments tossed in, I have found the Wood Elves to be my favorite by far. I like Wood Elves anyway, but I do think they have the best units. Skaven have been popular as well, but much less successful; I think they trade poorly. Gutter runners can kill things, but never survive combats, and their ranged attack isn’t powerful enough to make up for their weakness in melee. Ratling guns don’t do enough reliable damage, but I do think that mobile helps them out quite a bit. Lizardmen seem to be in a similar boat; in limited testing, skinks have trouble trading effectively (although they are annoying and the enemy has so far given them a larger threat significance than I think they merit), and salamanders have performed ok, but not anything to write home about. All have been a blast to play, though.

My only regret with these expansions is that I don’t have enough time to play, so I never get in as many games as I want. I haven’t even had a chance to use the Silver Helms yet, which as a High Elf fanboy saddens me. L

Just picked up the expansions a few days ago. Cant really say for balance sake but I enjoy the vampire counts. Dwarfs also feel really solid. The additional rules seem pretty solid as well.

Personally I would love to see Lizardmen and Skaven as the next expansions. (lets face it they're just cool). But I could see dark elves and wood elves being fun. I played warhammer fantasy for awhile but its hard to get people into it due to the investment of time (and not everyone likes to build and paint) not to mention the HEFTY cost to just buy one army. This game captures what I liked about playing as well as the play style of the races very well so far and allows my buddies to get into it. So far we're having a blast I will absolutely support any future expansions from here on out as it has become a regular in our rotation on board game nights.

What I like so far (first impression, no game experience) is that no one of the new discs is heavily overpowered. I have the feeling that the expansions give me more options for synergies and combos available for every existing faction without any powercreep. And when there is, it seems to be quite low.

Well, at the risk of bragging, Vampire Counts were totally made for me, I'm rocking with them. They really got the flavor right with them - the troops all feel completely expendable and the command cards just make the heroes so strong (Dark Majesty and Mannfred is just amazing!).

Dwarves have been tougher for me to master, I don't think they quite match how I like to play. I think the Lizardmen are going to be super fun, I love the Skinks with their poison darts and the Salamanders. I have high hopes for future expansions with them. I want to see what a Slann can do! Wood elves I just didn't really love at first sight, but I haven't been able to play as much as a I like since my wife is pregnant. Skaven I haven't gotten to try yet, but magic at long range on the hero is just awesome!

[Hope I'm not coming in way too late here, but I want to talk expansions and am not sure it really needs a new thread.]

I'm hoping they just do the logical thing and put out two new expansions that round out our teased armies (Wood Elves/Lizard Men & Dark Elves/Skaven) with around 120-140 points of units each and finish fleshing out the core box armies with another 30-40 points each. Having ten full armies with around 6 regiments worth of options each (just purchasing a single copy of everything) would be awesome. Then if the people still clamor for more they can see about acquiring more artwork and rules testing the four unused factions (Bretonnians, Ogres, Chaos Dwarves, and Tomb Kings), though I doubt they actually will.

Anyway, I really like the work they did with the Dwarves and VC, the only thing I find myself missing is that there are no units of Troll Slayers!

Yeah, I agree that it is most likely they will complete the partial armies before they create any new options, but I am hoping for both. I agree that it is doubtful unless the game really takes off that we will ever see Tomb Kings, Bretonnia, Ogres, etc., but I can dream!

And yes, slayers must happen soon! I would also kill for Dragon Princes and White Lions or Phoenix Guard.

I'm going to call my shot and say there will be Dragon Slayers/Troll Slayers in the next expansion. They are an iconic unit.

I'm going to call my shot and say there will be Dragon Slayers/Troll Slayers in the next expansion. They are an iconic unit.

Yeah, I don't think they can hold them out for too much longer. Or at least I hope they won't...