Advice for balancing for a large party

By Terraneaux, in Only War Game Masters

So I'm running a game for a large number of players, at least by my standards (7 PCs). Any advice for balancing for groups that large? I'm looking at running a lot of the written adventures, does anyone know how many they're assumed to be written for? If it's 4, I could get away with about doubling the amount of enemies they face. However, any tips you guys have found helpful in this situation?

Edited by Terraneaux

I started GMing with a group of six, that has now grown to eight players total. I never did the written adventures, preferring to come up with my own instead. I generally went with a rule of squad sizes, so groups of either five enemies if stronger, or a group of ten regular Dominate troopers or some such. If it was an especially combat heavy session, I would lower the number of soldiers per encounter, but have more encounters.

Ultimately it depends on who the enemies are, and what sort of mission you are running. Is it a patrol mission, where your forces have to evade several enemy patrols? Lots of squads of weak enemies. Infiltration/assassination mission? Small group of high powered foes, or one surrounded by weaker bodyguards.

Really, if you do # of players = # of enemies and just adjust for the power levels of the enemies, you should be okay.

At least, we did. YMMV