Tyranids and Necrons confirmed!

By Cwethan, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

"The Necrons and Tyranids will be added in a future deluxe expansion and have special rules governing their deckbuilding. The Necrons, at the center of the wheel, may steal units from any of the factions in the wheel. Tyranids, however, lie outside the alignment wheel, and their restless agression [sic] keeps them from forming an alliance with any other race."

-Game Trade Magazine Issue 173

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH so happy!

Necrons can team with anyone? Tyrinids with no one? That makes no sense design wise. Do they want every single deck in comps to be Necrons?

I think it's probably a little early to assume there won't be anything to balance that out.

Early enough for excited screaming though!

While even on day 1 of the announcement we all "assumed" there was going ot be Tyrinids and Necrons added, this "confirmation" is still firmly in rumorville for me.

Necrons teaming with everyone is such a terrible I idea I do not know where to start.. my only hope is that it is bull***.

Nice - looking forward to seeing how they mesh, and how "comprehensive" the 'nids are.

Thanks Toqtamish for the link. No rumor this.

While even on day 1 of the announcement we all "assumed" there was going ot be Tyrinids and Necrons added, this "confirmation" is still firmly in rumorville for me.

Necrons teaming with everyone is such a terrible I idea I do not know where to start.. my only hope is that it is bull***.

they don't necessarily team up like the other factions do as they do say they have their own rules for deckbuilding, they could easily limit allied card playsets to 1-2 copies of a card or some other limitation. FFG is very good at game balance and if something doesn't work they have shown that they are willing to correct it through changes to the rules or banned/restricted lists.

Edited by smeehee

Ha ha ha :D I knew it :P

But that is the entire point isn't it. If they have a system for deck construction that dosn't use the wheel... Why didn't they just f***ing use that and not have any wheel and all the BS about this game being stupid on the fluff wouldn't be there.

I want this but in the card game... this exact video.. but a card game!!! :)

I don't see how the Tau aren't in the middle and the Necrons aren't on the outside...

"The Necrons, at the center of the wheel, may steal units from any of the factions in the wheel. Tyranids, however, lie outside the alignment wheel, and their restless agression [sic] keeps them from forming an alliance with any other race."

This almost seems backwards. The tyranids are the ones who take over other races via spores and inbreeding. When have the Necrons ever allied with anyone?

"The Necrons, at the center of the wheel, may steal units from any of the factions in the wheel. Tyranids, however, lie outside the alignment wheel, and their restless agression [sic] keeps them from forming an alliance with any other race."

This almost seems backwards. The tyranids are the ones who take over other races via spores and inbreeding. When have the Necrons ever allied with anyone?

Tyranids don't really take over other races. They destroy them and then use the raw processed biomass to make more Tyranids. The whole Genestealer cult thing hasn't really been done in a while.

I miss the genestealers.

Well stealing cards may be a new thing like taking them from your oppoenents hand/in play and not mean deckbuilding either. Take mindshackle scarabs for instance , in the tabletop they attack themselves so maybe an attachment to take control of em.

Edited by rapatpamp

For example it was with Blood Angels, I think it was against Tyranids. Courtesy of Matt Ward.

Mat Ward must die!

Necrons can team with anyone? Tyrinids with no one? That makes no sense design wise. Do they want every single deck in comps to be Necrons?

Note the wording of the announcement: "The Necrons, at the center of the wheel, may steal units from any of the factions in the wheel" (emphasis mine). I suspect the use of that word is very intentional; they aren't getting events, supports, attachments, etc. Just units.

Which makes them potentially very interesting, and much easier for FFG to balance. After all, you're missing out on a lot of the synergies available in the race you steal from by just grabbing units, but your opponent also won't have any good idea exactly what types of things they might have to deal with.

I'm sure if they are overpowered in playtesting, there will end up being additional restrictions (perhaps you can only steal units from two allied factions on the wheel for a single deck, or you can only steal X number of cards, or something similar). Not sure why people are interpreting this news as anything other than awesome, frankly. This makes the decision to preorder for me extremely easy. The base game looks like lots of fun on its own. Here's hoping these are slated for the first deluxe expansion, and not one of the following ones!

For example it was with Blood Angels, I think it was against Tyranids. Courtesy of Matt Ward.

The context of that "alliance" would assist. It would not have helped either side (Marines or Necrons) to fight each other in the face of an immense army (Tyranids). They merely ceased hostilities and fought against the swarms, not stupidly shooting at each other while they were run over with bio-constructs.

The Necrons leaving without engaging the marines makes complete sense given the (improved) Necron's personalities. In the old days they were faceless, Cthulhu-like machines without character.

And again...I don't really see "alliance" as an actual "alliance"...The main group is simply manipulating the subgroup...It makes for a good story and perhaps and interesting deck

I don't see how the Tau aren't in the middle and the Necrons aren't on the outside...

Hah, that would be awesome. Finally the Greater Good would be realized :lol: