You know you're playing Black Crusade, when...

By Elavion, in Black Crusade

When the Warpsmith and his surviving servitor cuts one of a dark eldar light cruiser's surviving lances free from the crashed wreckage, and his first thought about the hundred-and-fifty metre long capital ship gun is "I wonder what happens if we turn this into a daemon weapon?".

Should this not always be his first question? For added fun it should definitively be a slannesh weapon.

Edited by htsmithium

When the Warpsmith and his surviving servitor cuts one of a dark eldar light cruiser's surviving lances free from the crashed wreckage, and his first thought about the hundred-and-fifty metre long capital ship gun is "I wonder what happens if we turn this into a daemon weapon?".

When not only have the Hereteks converted two entire broadsides into Daemon Weapons, but have embedded explosive charges into them as "emergency anti-boarding options."

When the sign over the gellar field generators reads, "Days since last warp incursion: -6."

When your group is challenged to a duel by a Champion of Khorne CSM, and the human heretek wins using only the powersword that was crafted as a physical representation of the cabal's fate-binding pact. While taking no damage themselves until the champion's seven retainers rush him in blind fury at how easily the duel was won. Said heretek wipes out the 7 CSMs with no intervention from the rest of the party. (Seriously, the flesh-crafting ritual is OMG-OP-PLZ-NERF-NOW-THX-BAI.)

When the slaaneshi possessed sneaks off to do recon behind the lines and comes back fifteen minutes later yelling "found It found it found it runnnnnnn!!!!!", being chased by a Subjugator Scout Titan.

When the plague marine fires a plague tower's bile cannon, then thinks to check where the cultist hordes the possessed is leading are currently standing (I'll give you one guess).

When not only have the Hereteks converted two entire broadsides into Daemon Weapons, but have embedded explosive charges into them as "emergency anti-boarding options."

When the sign over the gellar field generators reads, "Days since last warp incursion: -6."

When your group is challenged to a duel by a Champion of Khorne CSM, and the human heretek wins using only the powersword that was crafted as a physical representation of the cabal's fate-binding pact. While taking no damage themselves until the champion's seven retainers rush him in blind fury at how easily the duel was won. Said heretek wipes out the 7 CSMs with no intervention from the rest of the party. (Seriously, the flesh-crafting ritual is OMG-OP-PLZ-NERF-NOW-THX-BAI.)

I am actually gearing up to run a BC game. I read over the Flesh Crafting ritual and I just shook my head in disgust. Some of the other rituals in other books are just as bad. At best I wouldn't let things stack, as others have said if you have Unnatural Strength 6 from CSM, getting 4 from ritual is still Unnatural Strength 6, not 10. I would also probably restrict players heavily in usage. If I allowed it at all. The Bloodtide ritual in the Tome of Blood is just as poorly written.

When watching a one-eyed, three armed, psychotic Viking on the back of a horned T-Rex charging at an animated statue whilst humming the William Tell overture has somehow become 'a normal Thursday night."

When watching a one-eyed, three armed, psychotic Viking on the back of a horned T-Rex charging at an animated statue whilst humming the William Tell overture has somehow become 'a normal Thursday night."

That sounds like a He-Man and the masters of the universe episode. :)

When you give your players a shot at legendary glory, and all they have to do is show just a little teamwork after fighting together for over 12k xp worth of adventures, and instead they decide not just to kill each other, but the campaign as well. :(

When - lacking an astropath - the Dark Apostle decides to summon a lesser daemon to act as a messenger to arrange a meeting with a potential ally.

Upon summoning the spellfiend, the psychic phenomena triggered is "tech-scorn". Fortunately, the Dark Apostle won the daemonic mastery test, as whilst he had a plague marine with a reaper autocannon stood ready covering the ritual circle, said weapon was now jammed and the marine couldn't move properly to unjam it.

He instructed the daemon to locate their ally - deciding (sensibly) at the last minute not to instruct it to try and deliver the message in person because commanding a daemon to break into an ally's ship could be...um....misinterpreted?

The fire crew - sent by the ship's commander to deal with the fire outbreak (scorching the deck to prepare for the ritual) arrived in time to witness the daemon, and all collapsed to the deck, screaming and vomiting. Fortunate, really, as this sound reaching the bridge is what alerted the commander that something was wrong - the Dark Apostle was now trapped inside environmentally sealed armour which had lost power and his vox was non-functional so he couldn't call for help....

The Flesh Shaper and Warpsmith - both of whom are hiding from possible corruption sources as much as possible! - hastened to their allies aid, arriving just in time to stop the Dark Apostle suffocating. And were still there when the Horror popped back into existence to report their ally's destination, applying a few points of corruptions (much to their annoyance!) and causing the now-recovered fire crew to go completely catatonic.....

-In order to draw attention away from the Imperial World you actually want to invade, the Psyker dominates the mind of an Ork Warboss long enough convince him to send his boys to invade the neighboring planets.

-Things start to spiral out of control when the local Imperial politics results in the attempt to stop the Ork's to become horribly underwhelming and thus shortly overwhelmed by the Ork's who seem to be growing in numbers much quicker then expected or planned...

- The party is somewhat confused and worried when the Psyker is 'blessed' with green skin and enough physical strength that he would be able to hold his own in a fist fight with a space marine for a while for starting a good old WAARGH!

-Psyker now recognizes himself as a shaman of Mork and is now completely dedicated to getting the parties own 'Waargh' (Black Crusade) going so that he could do Mork proud and slam it into the flanks of those defending against the orkish Waargh he helped create.

When - on arrival at Ghibelline - the Warpsmith is told about the locally-made patterns of heavy sonic weaponry and decides to use an up-scaled version to 'upgrade' the armament on the heretic's starship. He passed the Tech-Use and Trade (Armourer) test to design one, and the Influence test to commission the components.

He has failed the Logic test to notice in character the (rather fundamental) issue with the concept of Starship-to-Starship sonic weaponry, and to date no-one has pointed it out to him out of character.

When - on arrival at Ghibelline - the Warpsmith is told about the locally-made patterns of heavy sonic weaponry and decides to use an up-scaled version to 'upgrade' the armament on the heretic's starship. He passed the Tech-Use and Trade (Armourer) test to design one, and the Influence test to commission the components.

He has failed the Logic test to notice in character the (rather fundamental) issue with the concept of Starship-to-Starship sonic weaponry, and to date no-one has pointed it out to him out of character.

Ship to Ship I can see the problem... though you have to admit that it would make a **** good orbital bombardment weapon. Even better if you can fine tune it to only kill or harm living creatures while leaving the infrastructure intact.

Ship to Ship I can see the problem... though you have to admit that it would make a **** good orbital bombardment weapon. Even better if you can fine tune it to only kill or harm living creatures while leaving the infrastructure intact.

Or, you could stick to using it in the Screaming Vortex, where things like the laws of physics are a funny joke you tell your friends.

Oh come now. There are particles in space. Just not many of them. That means you just need a bigger amplifier than their small minds can comprehend :) .

Or, you could stick to using it in the Screaming Vortex, where things like the laws of physics are a funny joke you tell your friends.

....You can have friends in the Screaming Vortex?

....You can have friends in the Screaming Vortex?

Perhaps a more accurate term would be "enemies I haven't killed yet because I'm working with them temporarily."

When you are forced to use Delude combined with your Charm and Deceive to convince the rest of the party that you didn't lie (you did) to cover up your busted plot to kill another party member and they are still side-eyeing you months and months afterward even though you made to rolls fair and square and they all failed because no one but the psyker thought to put points in scrutiny and besides it wasn't my fault the GM totally hosed me anyway not like this really happened in an actual game I really am just making it up because it sounds funny right?

What do you mean? We had an example of

"Make an opposed deceive/scrutiny check"

[Rolls]

"Passed"

[Turns to other player]

"Failed." (Through gritted teeth)

"You are happy that your troops are all perfectly fine, and that she has no intention of dissecting them for her own amusement..."

[Notes suspicious expression]

"...Ish."

Ultimately this is one of the big problem with the social interaction rules, especially with very gifted heretics; to what extent should you be allowed to use charm/deceive on a fellow party member? Telling another player "what they think", when the players blatantly don't think that, can be very divisive in game.

Without derailing one of the best threads in the forum, see here: https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/107633-interaction-skills-player-characters/

I am actually gearing up to run a BC game. I read over the Flesh Crafting ritual and I just shook my head in disgust. Some of the other rituals in other books are just as bad. At best I wouldn't let things stack, as others have said if you have Unnatural Strength 6 from CSM, getting 4 from ritual is still Unnatural Strength 6, not 10. I would also probably restrict players heavily in usage. If I allowed it at all. The Bloodtide ritual in the Tome of Blood is just as poorly written.

The problem isn't stacking, as all of our group are humans, not CSMs. But the ritual just allows for some serious cheeze as it's not difficult for a character to quickly become expert at the skills involved. But one restriction that I've been entertaining is that one of the sacrifices must have the trait that you're looking to acquire.

When one member of your party is a Nurglite with a creepy laugh and a permanent grin who specializes in a "happiness plague" that makes people literally die laughing.

When the above is mutual arch-enemies with the Night Lords.

The latest...erm....'plan' involves everyone heading off, more or less separately, to secure resources for a major undertaking (they're looking to ambush and capture the heavy cruiser flagship of a major tzeenchian warlord).

Essentially "Let's split up and search for allies!". This is going about as well as you might imagine.

The Dark Apostle has gone to the Dark Apostle Naberus' station with intentions of overthrowing him and bringing several traitor marine squads on board. He has since discovered that he's plotting against what he's described as "essentially an astartes daemonologist version of Tywin Lannister" and it's not going well. Plus, he's found out there are assassins on the station working for the tzeenchian warlord.

Due to not paying attention when dictating a message, the Plague Marine has recruited a warband of Nurgle renegades to join the fight.....against the thousand sons sorcerer who's part of the warband. This may lead to some unfortunate confusion later. He topped this off by accidentally detonating an exterminatus weapon inside the Writhing World magna-louse which had the renegades' citadel on its carapace.

The Warpsmith spectacularly failed his infamy tests to acquire weapons, and has instead 'agreed a really good deal' with a Ghibelline warpsmith clan, despite being somewhat hazy about the details. He's pretty sure it involves daemon engines somehow.

The Khornate is actually the most successful diplomat - and successfully arranges for the purchase of enough weapons and body armour to equip 1500 troops to guard standards, then returns to the docking bay to discover her Xurunsh has engaged the arms dealer's ork bodyguards in an impromptu headbutting contest, and is sat there victorious but lightly concussed.

The warpsmith successfully prepares the ground for a ritual of binding, and - as with all daemonic rituals - it goes horribly, horribly wrong.

• The summoning successfully summons a daemonette
  • The psychic phenomena results in everything reflective within a 35m circle shattering. Including the polished silver mirrors he'd used as part of the ritual circle.
  • Tanking the willpower check, he was stunned for a turn by the daemonette's appearance
  • The daemonette charged in, stabbed him in the chest, and rolled a '10' for damage, causing blood loss and stunning him for another round.
  • After a couple of turns, he finally gets his act together and forces the daemonette back inside the circle and attempts the ritual of binding....
  • .....And rolls a 100 - failing by 4 degrees, then a 98, getting a net 138 on the Contempt Of The Warp. When (as nurgle) he can't use infamy points to reroll, and burning enough infamy to survive will probably spawnify him anyway.
  • Devolving into a chaos spawn, he murders most of the dark mechanicus savants he was working with and goes on a murder-rampage before the Plague Marine turns up and somehow passes a hellish wrangling test.
  • We rolled up the stats for the nurgle spawn and (given the green slime trail, 9 arms and grapple tendancy) it's now been christened "Slurm".

The Dark Apostle has got some reinforcements by the fiendish technique of starting a conspiracy against the Word Bearers commander of the station he's on, getting allies, then betraying all to the commander en masse and taking the reinforcements as a reward for quashing the conspiracy he started.

The Flesh Shaper has been playing pod-racer on heavily customised Reaver jetbikes around the Ragged Helix in an attempt to impress a Pirate Prince. Being given pace notes through a vox by the Tzeenchian Sorceror as she's going round the course for the first time at near-supersonic speed is....disconcerting. Especially when the sorcerer misses details.

"...Coming up to an asteroid marked as the 'daemon's skull' on here.."

"Yes, it's pretty obvious. Go around?"

"Go through. Floor it and you'll pick up distance over the pack.Left eye socket opens into a tunnel that comes out the back."

"Lining up now."

"You're pulling ahead. Don't back off."

"Going in!"

"Oh...errr.....it looks like there's a turn halfway through the tunnel."

"Which way?"

"....."

"Which way!!?!?!?!?"

[realises the vox cut-off as she entered the tunnel]

There was a fair amount of superficial damage to the bike by the time she came out the other end.

• When your old player character gets reduced to a chaos spawn

On looking to negotiate with some outlanders on the fringes of the Calixis Sector.....

"You may need to delegate responsibility for negotiations."

"Why?"

[Gestures at each of the party members and their minions as he speaks]

"You five are Legion Astartes. You have the Mark Of Khorne burned into your face. You two have horns. You three have three arms each. Those are animated suits of recognisably Legion armour. You have a tail. Your arm is on fire. You two have wings. You have a claw. That is an armoured dinosaur. You have a serpent's face. You are essentially an ambulatory necrotic corpse, and That is a Spawn. Can we please restrict this to the three of you who look vaguely human?"

Edited by Magnus Grendel
When as a puny mortal you get renamed 5 minutes into your first session by a CSM because well its not like you have a choice.

When after 5 sessions you don't even remember your character original name.

When the 2 female renegades rolls vampiric addiction...at the same time.

When they start tagging alone the NL calling him "master" because he gave them blood. And by giving blood I mean shoving the unarmored Chem-Hunter at them.

When the same NL also end up with vampiric addiction.

When all session now stats with the argument of who is drinking who and chem-hunter hiding for his dear life.

When a simple task ends in a *face palm*...

My two players had the simple task of assassinating a minor official before he leaked their heretical plans to the inquisition. They had ample time and could do it in any subtle way. The players chose to spike the officials birthday cake at a banquet they were attending, the possessed cake ate the official just as everyone watched him blow out the candles!

To make matters worse they couldn't leave as witnesses and ended up being questioned by an inquisitor (played by me the GM) who ended up suspecting them of foul play after botched dice rolls to cover up and incriminate other guests. The inquisitor then kept trolling them with 'just one more thing...' questions and before you know it we had a 40k episode of Columbo!!!