When to give Insanity?

By Crispin, in Dark Heresy Gamemasters

True, but... Unlike in DH, SAN accumulation is easily reversible (up to a point) in COC and going by the published materials, is not much more frequent than it is in DH. So if you feel like characters aren't doomed in DH you shouldn't feel like they're doomed in CoC.

- Sorry for the tangent.

SAN loss is much more frequent in CoC, at least in my experience (admittedly, it depends on how you play it),

Combat is much more lethal in CoC.

A small update:

My players have started to accumulate some IP and CP (to the point where they started to roll against traumas and mutations respectively) because I decided to pump up the points I give them straight out, rather than wait for them to fail a Fear check.

They are currently rank 5 with around 10-14 IP and 5-10 CP and I just started with them the Tattered Fates adventure. Oh the madness and horror.

You don't NEED to give the PC's insanity and corruption points, but it ads another level to the game where the psychological and spiritual damage is kept track of.

It's a fitting mechanic for the warhhammer 40k universe, but not necessary if the players haven't recived permanent psychological damage, or experienced corruption of their soul. :)

I'm aware of that fact, however, since my players are longtime D&D players I have to have some way of making them think twice before killing everything and everyone that they deem heretical or just annoying since there are no alignments in DH. Basically, for them that means that they can do anything as long as they don't get cought, and trust me they are smart players so they know how to avoid. This way I make sure if they decide to play chaotic evil/neutral characters, they WILL either go insane or get a bullet to the head for their mutations.

I'm aware of that fact, however, since my players are longtime D&D players I have to have some way of making them think twice before killing everything and everyone that they deem heretical or just annoying since there are no alignments in DH. Basically, for them that means that they can do anything as long as they don't get cought, and trust me they are smart players so they know how to avoid. This way I make sure if they decide to play chaotic evil/neutral characters, they WILL either go insane or get a bullet to the head for their mutations.

Easy have them kill the wrong person and have an Ecclesiarchial hit squad come after them.

"We thought he was binding a daemon to that poor child!"

SoB about to burn them at the stake, "HE WAS AN EXORCIST YOU HERETICAL SCUM!"