New "Home Brew"

By Uvatha, in Talisman Home Brews

My new "Home Brew" a 50 card standalone set for Talisman.
trkpv_zpsb429b5fd.jpg

The Background of the set is simple.

A vile and evil "Rat King" and his minions are planing to take over the world while the heroes of the land are on their quest for the crown of command.

The Rat King takes Life counters and holds them so the players will run out and be forced to slowly die in the greatest pain. This set introduces Foe cards, Master Plan cards and Attrition rules. The players have too slow down the kings rise to power before he can take over the land from under their feet.

Heres a preview card more to come...

rkp4_zps78ea2c5f.jpg

No replies?

rkp5_zps80ac2e4e.jpg rkp2_zpsef6a76b1.jpg

Two more previews.

I love stand alone expansions, but I tend to get only 2nd edition homebrew expansions.

Nice concept. Do you have a rule sheet so we can see how this expansion works in more detail? Or at least the Rat King Card itself?

Nice concept. Do you have a rule sheet so we can see how this expansion works in more detail? Or at least the Rat King Card itself?

Rule sheet on way just getting terms and clarifications worked on so it makes some sort of sense :) .

This expansion looks rather interesting! I love the Rat's artwork!

This expansion looks rather interesting! I love the Rat's artwork!

I did some intense searching for the art. A lot of talented art out there without them i couldn't bring the set to life.

Two more... rkp1_zpsa1f63839.jpg rkp3_zps47163eff.jpg

You've got me interested.

I created my own Skaven card expansion for 2nd edition a few years ago, so I'm interested in what you've put in yours.

So far, what you've teased us with looks good.

Edited by nodgenesor

You've got me interested.

I created my own Skaven card expansion for 2nd edition a few years ago, so I'm interested in what you've put in yours.

So far, what you've teased us with looks good.

I tried to separate skaven from ratmen for this expansion instead i went with a very broad view of the dreaded ratmen. Thus you have a very interesting mix. Also i made their strength and craft low so the hordes can mass.. Personally ratman make lousy fighters anyway hench the idea of introducing Foes instead of Enemy.

Sorry guys got side-tracked had to put off playtesting and proof reading because of family stuff I'm getting on top of it now rules next..

Hi Uvatha,

Your expansion looks great and I would be very interested in reading through your rules when you get them finished. I'll definetly be printing out a copy of the expansion for my group to play :)

Loving the rat king art also ;)

Yeah me too jackboy its from Ascension the ccg.

Its away!!

It will be put up on Talismanisland.com as soon as Jon can update his download page..

No pressure then... :D

Looking forward to seeing it in Talisman: The Island Expansion... I mean of course on Talisman Island!

Edited by talismanamsilat

Fantastic! Glad to hear its ready for playing! :D

Jackyboy is checking and checking the Talisman Island website for an update ;) lol

Heres the rules Enjoy.

Component Overview

The Rat King Card

The BIG BOY himself, this vile monarch would like nothing better than to fill the lands with his chattering horde of ratman .

Vermin Cards

The Vermin cards are shuffled together to form the Vermin Pile. This is the main deck of this expansion it’s full of vile, evil, augmentative rat men under the direct control of their leader the rat king.

Setup

Easy, Place the “Rat King Card” face-up, place one life token upon “his grace” shuffle Vermin Pile …… that’s it!

The Rat King Symbol

Cards in this expansion are marked with a Rat symbol, so you can differentiate them from the cards from the base game and other expansions.

Leader Symbol

Some Foe Cards in this expansion are marked with the Leader symbol, how this symbol interacts in a Talisman game is under “Moving Vermin Foe Cards” and “Trophies and Attrition” section of this rulesheet.

Expansion Rules

When playing Talisman with The Rat King expansion, the basic rules of playing Talisman are unchanged. This rulesheet explains how to use these new Vermin cards and how they interact with other normal cards.

There are two new types of cards in the Vermin pile: these are: Foe cards and Master Plan Cards.

Foe cards are basically enemy cards but without saying “enemy” they operate the same as normal enemy cards but with these special rules:

• They are never taken as Trophies but are taken as Attrition instead see “Trophies and Attrition” .

• They are never targeted as “Enemy” or even “Creatures”. But can be targeted by effects that target its type e.g. Monster, demon etc.

• They can move see “Moving Vermin Foe Cards” .

Master Plan Cards are special evil, nasty, vile plans worked out by the rat king and his totally loyal “sometimes misguided” henchman? They basically work like event cards.

Drawing and Moving Vermin Foe Cards

Now here’s the “fun” bit.

Drawing Vermin Cards

Vermin cards are drawn when other types of cards are drawn, be this from the adventure deck or other deck, thus.

• Whenever a player draws a Stranger, Follower or Place from any deck that player immediately draws a Vermin card from the Vermin pile.

If the Vermin card is a Foe it must be placed on either the city or village space. Unless it says otherwise on the Foe card itself.

If the Vermin card is a Master plan, magic object or stranger follow the rules on such cards.

Note: This effect interrupts play continuing, play returns to normal after a Foe card is placed plus any of its effects played out or a master plan is drawn and its effect finishes.

Note: Some Foe cards can trigger when certain effects happen, just like normal these interrupt play until played out.

Moving Vermin Foe Cards

Foe cards move when:

• A character encounters a place or a stranger in play.

• A Foe deploys with a Leader symbol.

• Or another Foe card or master plan card causes them to move.

When a character encounters a place or a stranger in play the Foe card is moved at the characters end of turn phase and only one Foe is moved no matter how many places or strangers the character encounters in a turn.

When a Foe deploys with a Leader symbol all other Foes move one space clockwise.

Note: the Foe card moved might cause the movement of other Foe cards these do not count as the one Foe card limit from more than one place encountered by a character.

All Foe cards use the following rules when moving:

• Foe cards move one space clockwise around the board, unless it says otherwise on the Vermin enemy card itself.

• Foe cards (being Vermin cards) trigger the effects on “The Rat King” Card

Note: All Foe card movements have to be completed before play continues.

Note: no Foe cards may move to other regions unless it says so on the Foe card. This of course includes the inner region.

Discarding Vermin Cards

Need I say it? All Vermin Cards are discarded to the Vermin Discard pile (which is the same as any other discard pile in effect). Once the Vermin pile has no more cards in it the Vermin discard pile is shuffled and that then makes a new Vermin pile for drawing.

Note: The Vermin discard pile are not considered a normal discard pile thus only Vermin cards themselves effect its own discard pile.

Trophies and Attrition

The Rat King s chattering horde is never ending. The foul ratmen come in vast numbers and their life and death is short and ultimately meaningless to their great king. But a cunning hero can, if they defeat some more powerful henchman bring a slow attrition to his power .

Foe Cards are taken as trophies just like other enemy cards, but they are not conceded trophies instead they are conceded attrition. Card kept as attrition cannot be traded in for strength or craft instead cards that are kept for attrition can be used to remove life counters from “Rat King” Card (in fact this is best way to do such).

At the end of a character’s turn they may remove one life counter from “Rat King Card” for every six points of encounter numbers marked on the attrition Foe cards exchanges so long as at least one of these attrition Foe Cards has a Leader symbol. If a character has enough attrition Foe cards to trade in but none with a Leader symbol then the character cannot trade any in until he takes on attrition Foe Card with a Leader symbol.

Attrition Foe cards thus exchanged are then discarded to the Vermin Discard pile. Excess encounter number points of attrition Foe Cards above a multiple of six are lost. Only one attrition Foe card with a Leader symbol is needed for multiple life counter removal from “Rat King’ Card.

More Vermin Card Rules

Vermin cards are never treated as Adventure cards or (cards of any other type) by any other effects other than effects on Vermin cards. Thus Vermin cards never count as “cards” at spaces for the purposes of drawing cards and when they are at spaces. The only things that can target Vermin enemy cards are effects that target a Foe type. Also nothing can target Vermin master plan cards other than other Vermin cards.

Vermin Cards and other expansions

Vermin cards are not affected by Firelands tokens, or Terrain card effects at spaces.

Timing Issues and Resolving

When players draw multiple cards or multiple Vermin cards, the cards are all drawn then played out one at a time, then if any places, strangers or followers are drawn a Vermin card is then drawn its effects are resolved (which might end up with another Vermin card or cards being drawn) after all Vermin cards have resolved their effects then play continues to drawing the remaining card or cards. Of course all Foe movement is also played out before returning to the drawing the remaining card or cards.

Other Bits

• Effects that say “draw a number of cards from a deck” but do not resolve or become encountered by a player still have the effect of drawing and thus trigger Vermin card drawing.

• No drawing of Vermin cards will trigger the drawing of Vermin cards. The Vermin Pile is not in effect a deck.

• The life token placed on the Vermin demon card is only removed when the Vermin demon is discarded.

Sets Contents

1 Rat King Card

50 Vermin Cards -

31 Foe Types

16 Ratmen

10 Swarms

1 Monster

1 Horde

1 Thing?

16 Master Plans

3 Strangers

2 magic items

12 Leader markers on Foe cards

Don't suppose you have a pdf of the rules you can tease us all with, just so I can print it out and have a proper read of it, please buddy ;) Failing that I'll read them off the thread, no worries either way. Just getting eager to give it a whirl!!! :D

I did it as a word doc not a pdf. I was going to "pdf it" but didn't in the end. What I posted is all the written word of the rules but the pictures. I'm eager for feedback I could post the card sets here too but not sure if they will end up ok for size reasons..

ok no problem thanks for getting back to me :D I will read them on this thread and wait patiently like a good boy ;)

I did it as a word doc not a pdf. I was going to "pdf it" but didn't in the end. What I posted is all the written word of the rules but the pictures. I'm eager for feedback I could post the card sets here too but not sure if they will end up ok for size reasons..

I'll upload the file tonight and post a direct link for the time being. Sorry for the delay!

Thanks Guys.

1000 apologies for the delay.

I still haven't had a chance to sort out the downloads pages, but in the mean time here's a direct link to the expansion -

http://www.talismanisland.com/the_rat_king.zip

i dont like the illustration of the card sheet of the ratman king (its like a graffiti), but the cards are really awesome ;)