Astra Militarum Faction preview

By Toqtamish, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

Now up on main page.

dont know... i like Ultramarines more

I love this faction...but am I correct in assuming we no longer call them "The Imperial Guard" ? That's going to take some getting used to from this old spacer, LOL!

But as to the actual cards...I love all the benefit for throwing bodies at the problem! It's very much the standard tactica of the Imperium, yes?

I can't wait to do some cool things with sacrificing one of my units with Glorious Intervention and then reaping the benefits from their death as well as dealing some damage back to the attacker and hopefully killing them, too!

My only disappointment so far is that the preview didn't include any more tanks as spoiled cards, but I'm sure there's more time for that to come.

Well, Straken’s Command Squad sports a mustache...Howe many mustache does the Ultramarine have?

None.

We got four Straken’s Command Squad card, hence 4 mustaches at least.

I rest my case.

double post sorry

Edited by Lepusek

My only disappointment so far is that the preview didn't include any more tanks as spoiled cards, but I'm sure there's more time for that to come.

i see Hellhound tank AOE 1 and some nice stats

Edited by Lepusek

i see Hellhound tank AOE 1 and some nice stats

Good eye Lepusek...I'm not so good when it comes to making out the "fanned" preview card images like that. I saw the picture of a Hellhound tank, of course, but wasn't exactly sure what it did. That looks nice, though, thanks! So now we've seen a good ole Leman Russ and a Hellhound...how about a Chimera? Or Basilisk? Or -- and I'm being greedy here - Baneblade?

As Braddoc stated, mustaches = WIN.

Also, I like the theme a lot, but I'm sad the Leman Russ is loyal, good bye Space Wolves mechanized deck.

Keep in mind that Mortar doesn't work with Guardsman tokens, and same for Straken's Cunning.

Uh, who are the Astra Militarum? There certainly isn't a faction called that on the list of factions they have given us. What I do see is a bunch of Imperial Guard units. So, the question is who screwed up first. The article or the first announcement page.

Neither.

The Imperial Guard is now the Astra Militarum. GW changed the name with the most recent Codex. FFG has changed it to match.

The joys of copyright....

Neither.

The Imperial Guard is now the Astra Militarum. GW changed the name with the most recent Codex. FFG has changed it to match.

No wonder nobody likes GW.

I like the new name.

People's issues with GW tend to fall more in the wallet realm.

It isn't really a new name - just like the Space Marines are really the Adeptus Astartes.

Everyone just calls them Space Marines - the Astra Militarum is called the Imperial Guard.

I agree that Adeptus Astartes has been around forever. But the most recent codex is the first time I can recall seeing Astra Militarum.

that is because it is new in the latest codex

The new name is terrible. Sounds terrible and means "Space Soldiers" which is just dumb. They will always remain the Imperial Guard to me (well, technically they are still, just it is an "informal" name, and all the branding is now the new name). Believe the change has something to do with the fact that they cannot copyright the term "Imperial Guard". Same reason they have moved away from the official branding of "Space Marines" to Adeptus Astartes (though in that case it does at least sound cool, and have some history to the name, even if Astartes comes from a fertility goddess, which is a bit weird).

I am intrigued that the Cadian Mortar Squad art is of the older style metal Cadians, both the mortar and their armour. It doesn't match the newer plastics... not that I am complaining, as weapons aside I think the older Cadians are better.

Edited by borithan

If I recall correctly my latin, Astra Militarum means literally "Stars of the soldiers". It doesn't even make sense.

It's not actually Latin. It's Imperial High Gothic.

Which is technically is a mishmash of various modern languages (English, Chinese, Russian and Japanese, I think, though I would have to check the 1st edition 40k rulebook to confirm) with an additional 38,000 years of development. The use of bastardised Latin is purely a convention to distinguish between Low Gothic (represented by English) and High Gothic (represented by the bad Latin). This also gives it the status of an archaic, official language, intelligible by all educated folks, like Latin used to be. It is not actually meant to represent what the actual words would be in the 40k universe, just to give an appropriate feel.