Virbian Combat Bikes

By TemplarofSteel, in Only War House Rules

I remember the adventure in the GMs guide involving using the virbian combat bikes. My players actually really loved that adventure and also liked the bikes. Now we're looking at some future games and I am looking at actually creating some new regimental types that use the bikes. One idea is a kind of mechanized calvalry and the other is making the bikes a special equipment doctrine. For the calvalry thing I have it at about 3 points, they get lances, las guns, and flak armour, and the bikes. I don't have the bikes being as valuable if only because they can't mount weapons and are open topped, kind of thinking that you could use the calvalry rules for the riders, just use operate(surface) in place of the survival skill. For equipment doctrine, was thinking 2 points and they just got the bikes.

Any comments, ideas or anything like that would be welcome.

I like this idea, and was dissapointed when Rough Riders didn't include the option, as I find these far cooler than the standard cavalry idea, as well as making good sense. Perhaps make the lasgun a lascarbine and give them some Magnoculars to help fit what I see as their more Recon role? So far these are all the comments I've got, but I'm sure i'll get more ideas with time.

I like this idea, and was dissapointed when Rough Riders didn't include the option, as I find these far cooler than the standard cavalry idea, as well as making good sense. Perhaps make the lasgun a lascarbine and give them some Magnoculars to help fit what I see as their more Recon role? So far these are all the comments I've got, but I'm sure i'll get more ideas with time.

LOL you were not the only one. I was basically told to go get that book about Khorne if I wanted bike rules. I was apparently the only one the author spoke to who could name more than a single IG regiment that used bikes for rough riders in fluff.

LOL you were not the only one. I was basically told to go get that book about Khorne if I wanted bike rules. I was apparently the only one the author spoke to who could name more than a single IG regiment that used bikes for rough riders in fluff.

I can't actually name that many, which is the problem. From a logical standpoint, I believe bikes (usually) hold the advantage over animals, except perhaps in keeping them fuelled and the noise they make.I think it's all down to personal preference, but I would probably prefer the bikes overall to roleplay on as well, I think, even though standard cavalry would still be good fun.

I like the idea of bikes, there have been many groups in real life who have used them mainly for scouting roles so I think they would be a reasonable thing to have as an option. I personally would delete the lances as I can't imagine it working very well on a bike (cavalry horses are a lot more stable what with it being in the horses best interest not to fall over and all while a bike its just down to the rider) though I agree it would work well if you are going for a very grim dark view (though I would consider increasing damage if the rider is going faster but also increase the difficulty to hit maybe?). If you are going for lances I could really imagine them as a tank hunting unit with melta lances (I believe if memory serves those have been stated by FFG) would be the kind of thing I imagine the imperium putting out. If lances are deleted I would consider giving them extra supplies as I imagine they would be fast riding raiding groups, deep penetration scouts and rapid reaction forces (imagine there is a hole in the battle line and they ride in and dismount to fight plugging the hole and re-forming the line).

Thanks for this, its given me all sorts of cool ideas!