Final Flight Games Kingdom Hearts License Questions

By Lussier, in Hollow Bastion

I know as I have been reading these boards the question of what FFG has the license to print for the KH CCG. I have read different things on different posts, from FFG can only reprint (or from what wikipedia says "translate") what was in the Japanese KH sets, and others saying that it is possible for FFG to create new cards from the upcoming DS and PSP titles. If FFG can only reprint the Japanese sets I think there were only a couple more (I tried going back to the Japanese Tomy site but couldn't find their page anymore), which means the game would come to an end possibly next year if they printed all of the sets. (I could be wrong on the number I think maybe 3 more, correct me please if I am wrong).

I love the card game and want to host two major tournaments one in Nor Cal and one either at Downtown Disney or within Disneyland in So Cal. But many of my local players are afraid they are investing in a card game that will be dead within a year and that won't print any of the new characters, enemies, keyblades, spells, or worlds that will be in the two new titles. I just want to make sure I am positioning the game correctly to them. Unlike many areas I have read on the boards all of our local Targets and Borders have been carrying Kingdom Hearts CCG non-stop so we have had a steady flow of product.

If anyone has answers or ideas I would be very appreciative. Anyway hope to hear from some of you soon.

The Man With No Name

licensing is a very tricky thing. one has to comprehend contract law to know what is licensed and allowed to do. if one could procure the actual contract, one could then discern what ffg is going to print. the problem with licensing is that it can be yanked at any given time. if tomy does not beleive that they are making money on the game, the license gets pulled and the game dies immediately, i.e. inuyasha, almost happened to pokemon.

they can do more than translate its actually necessasry to do way more than just translating. as an example 100 A wood in japan stopped challenges from taking place -it made the game broke towards WR so FFG changed the text completly. i am pretty sure they can create new cards as well. i am pretty sure they can make cards in the sense of redoing ones. like the new beast or peter pan-from L&D- they can take a card name/level and do w/e with it. as for making a card that hasn't been made like lets say "Nala" from lion king i dont think there has ever been a card of her so i dont know if FFG could make one. i am pretty sure they could though. the game in japan died b/c there were no more games which meant no new sets of cards which meant dead. i dont think FFG would buy a game if they couldnt make new cards b/c they would suffer the same fate as Japan. if they were just doing it for a "quick" buck then wow that sux. but the latter of the two doesnt sound like FFG. so thats my 2 cents

ps nala was in KH 2 she just didnt do anything.

I can't really answer your question, but I really wanted to post my approval for a tournament in the Disneyland area. That's an absolutely genious idea.

Well, first off...it's Fantasy Flight Games, Not Final.

Your question though is one that we've been pondering since this game was first released. There's the idea that a company like FFG wouldn't knowingly invest money in a game they knew was just going to die and I believe this one to be the most plausible answer to this conundrum. If you look at the timeline of how the sets are being released you'll find an odd coincidence.

Set 4 is being released in June, this set includes a lot of the reprints from previous sets with revised rules as well as half of the Kingdom Hearts 2 Cards. Japanese Sets 5 & part of 6 I believe.

Set 5 would be released sometime this fall, probably November, it would contain the rest of Japanese Set 6 and Set 7...where it ended in Japan.

Now shortly thereafter, we will see the release of 2 new video games, 358/2 Days and Birth By Sleep in Japan... and in the US soon after those.

Based on the release schedule FFG has stuck to thus far, we'd see a US Set 6 in June of 2010...this would give the original creators of the game in Japan and FFG, more than enough time to design new cards based on the new characters as well as going back to KH 2 and picking up where the original Japanese CCG left off. To give some credibility to this, Tomy Japan has stated that if enough interest is shown in America for KH, then it is completely possible that it could be revived.

So I say, pass this along to your players, schedule some tournaments at Disneyland (an effin' Genius Idea sir.) and spread the word, Kingdom Hearts CCG may not die so soon afterall.

~Disclaimer - This is all hypothetical and pure speculation on my part, this has not been commented on by FFG or anyone else who would really know, so please take it as such.......still really weird timing though right.~

-Mr Dawn