Runebound (towers & keeps)

By Groovus, in Runebound

Hey all, hope everyone is doing great! I wanted to share this with you about Runebound. It's a look and how to make towers & keeps to use with Runebound in place of the gem/XP counters. I (as other people) find I sometimes miss the gem/XP counters when playing, as they blend in with the map. The towers & keeps help to plan out your strategies on where to go adventure next on the map. It also adds a cool look and feel to Runebound as you explore what's lurking inside of them. (I know, whatta geek!) Thanks for looking and happy gaming! :)

Thanks for sharing this, Groovus! Great idea! I hope FFG takes it into consideration for making new game components if/when they make a new edition of the game.

Hi there TwiceBornh! Thank you, and really, we NEED a reprint of Runebound at least. I think MANY more people have found out about Runebound in the past few years. It just makes so much sense, you have a HIGH demand for this game, I'm sure they would make mad $$$ for reprints of the base game and expansions. As a side note, I'm also going to be posting a VERY cool variation to Runebound for people to download and test out. I haven't seen anything like it yet. Hopefully this weekend. Thanks again and have a great day! :)

Edited by Groovus

I'm new to the game myself, and have been spending a ridiculous amount of money on e-Bay trying to acquire the various expansions and card decks. I now have all the boxed sets and probably 75% of the deck expansions. I usually play solo, but my gaming buddies tried the core game last week for the first time and really enjoyed it -- it's clear they were interested in playing it again. It's up there with the Lord of the Rings LCG as my favourite solo game (the Pathfinder Adventure card game may eventually join them in my top 3). Might even be one of my favourite board games ever (and I haven't even used most of the expansions yet).

While I would be thrilled to see a third edition of Runebound, I would be annoyed if they re-released all second edition products with no or only minor revisions… my annoyance being for purely selfish reasons after having spent so much money "catching up" on this out of print game. :-)

But yes, it would be great for all those who have only recently discovered or been introduced to the game to be able to purchase it at a reasonable cost… it's really the only way to grow the fan base.

I look forward to checking out your upcoming variation to Runebound! Thanks for doing your part to keep this game alive!

Cheers!

Hi there Twicebornh! Well you gave me something to check out, the Lord of the Rings LCG. I'm off to watch some vids on it now. I'm glad you have found most of the expansions for Runebound, they are very hard to find at a reasonable price. I've noticed in the past few years, board games are REALLY becoming very popular. I see your annoyance if FFG just popped out with a reprint/3rd edition of Runebound, but I truly believe it would go over very well for all the new generation of Runebound players who are just discovering it.OK, Im going to check out LOTR. Have a great day and well met friend! :) Talk to you soon...

While I would be thrilled to see a third edition of Runebound, I would be annoyed if they re-released all second edition products with no or only minor revisions… my annoyance being for purely selfish reasons after having spent so much money "catching up" on this out of print game. :-)

Based on past experience with other game lines, if FFG were going to re-release Runebound with only minor changes, they would call it "Revised Second Edition" and they would give us the new rulebook for free so that those who already own the original Second Edition don't need to repurchase it. (And they would try to avoid/minimize component changes so we don't need anything new if we have the old version.)

If they do release something called "Third Edition" you can rest assured it will have significant mechanical changes and improvements. Although I'm honestly not sure what those changes would be - Second Edition is pretty well built IMHO. There are a couple of things that could be addressed, sure, but I don't see enough to justify a new edition myself.

Edit: To keep things somewhat on-topic; I like the towers idea, Groovus! I may have to consider something similar for my own set now. Though, I think I would prefer a set of towers that are a bit shorter - I'd be worried about constantly toppling those tall skinny things while moving my hero around the map!

Edited by Steve-O

Hey Steve-O, nice to hear from you and thank you. Those towers/keeps are from my game I've been working on for a few years now called Dungeon Crusade. I just made more to use with Runebound. I am REALLY hoping to hit kickstarter this fall with it. I took off this summer to finish up the prototype and do some play testing with it. If you like Runebound, you really may want to take a look at Dungeon Crusade. When I'm ready to launch, I'm going to hit of my FFG friends to see it and get there impressions. I hope you have a great evening, talk to you soon! :)