Nemesis?

By HopefulHammerer, in WFRP Gamemasters

I'm looking for some help with the nemesis cards.

The first is that I can't find them since the move. IIRC, they were the same size as a career card, right? I'm looking for a way to either recreate them or to order them via POD.

The second is coming up with a good way to use them for the (potentially) 3 primary villains that seem to be defning themselves for my campaign. I have one that is a crime lord, another that is a wood elf gone bad, and the third is the leader of a tribe of beastmen. I can provide more details if desired.

I also have the epic cards from Hero's Call, but since my players are at rank 2 or 3, I'm worried that using those will overpower them horrifically and lead to a bad experience all around.

Any suggestions?

Read the Gamemasters Guide Hardback p.51+ You will find out all kinds of cool things.

Also, you may find some useful information here (see the various page tabs at the bottom for lists and usage): https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/167876/WFRP%20STUFF/Random%20WFRP3%20Adventure%20Generator/Random%20WFRP3%20Adventure%20Output%201.5.xlsx

You'll never over-power monsters in WFRP. You always have them run away, or just cut their wound threshold short at a convenient moment (right before a PC is going to die is a good policy).

jh

I'm looking for some help with the nemesis cards.

The first is that I can't find them since the move. IIRC, they were the same size as a career card, right? I'm looking for a way to either recreate them or to order them via POD.

The nemesis cards look a lot like the secret society cards from Lure of Power, the monster group cards from the creature vault, and a little like the faction cards from various adventures (Edge of Night, for example). You might check to see if you stacked them in with those and just didn't notice that there was more than one card type in the pile? They don't really represent the nemesis as much as they represent the nemesis' followers and power-structure, so if you haven't seen them recently they might not look quite like what you'd expect.

As to the question of recreating them, you could use the Strange Eons program and its extensions. It makes very nice cards.

"There are three overall types of dangers a nemesis can pose to the players: the physical threat, the social/psychological threat, and the threat of of a competent leader."

..or any combo.

jh

One thing I realize I had left off was the bad guy we have coming up for our session next week. This is actually Gregor, who managed to survive that encounter with the help of the traitor guard (I've forgotten his name at the moment, Piotr, I think?) and was actually corrupted by a player trying to destroy the painting while Gregor was holding it (the PC rolled a Chaos start so I let the demon emerge from the painting and merge with Gregor).

As we've continued the sessions, it became clear to me just how much the PCs wanted to hunt him down and tie up loose ends so he's gained prominence in our game. As a result, I've taken to calling our campaing "Harbinger of Chaos" and letting the PCs guide me to determining who is the actual bad guy that will be the final villain.

They are catching up to Gregor at this point and have just captured the guard, but they are also dealing with a group of acolytes of Ulric, the drenching of Stromdorf (home of one of the PCs), and trying to figure out which path they want to take.

It is ALWAYS good to have loose ends (unlike what mindless hollywood producers may think in their efforts to wreck and waste every potential movie). :)

jh