Beasts in the Expanse?

By Ranga, in Rogue Trader Rules Questions

I recently started playing a Beastmaster character in my weekly game of RT. I came in at Rank 3 and had a Razorwing companion that got blown up this session.

At the end of the session I rolled to acquire a Burnscour Wyrm (aka Killian's Bane) found in the Koronus Bestiary. (we were in orbit of a Noble World, I figured they might have one in a zoo or fighting pit or someone crazy might be keeping one as a pet.

The GM was of the opinion that the listed stats were for the eponymous Bane rather than an average creature of it's type. That doesn't sound like good game design to me. If someone could tell me whether the stats listed were for average Burnscour Wyrms or just Killian's Bane itself I'd appreciate it.

Also, if the listed stats are for a specific Bane, what adjustments need to be made for an average one of its type?

I think it's fairly obvious that it's supposed to be the stats of an average creature.

Out of curiousity, how are you planning on hauling your pet around? It's big .

To add to what Iku Rex is saying, your GM is the final arbitrator when it comes to implementing anything into the game. Every GM has their reasons as to why something should, and shouldn't, be added. I'm not saying we are always right, I'm just saying let the ref make the call, but be civil about any disagreements that come about after it.

Other than that, I agree with Iku Rex that the stats are for an average, full grown adult, Burnscour Wyrm. If he wants to give you baby one that can be more easily trained, then that's not a bad gig either.

The pet is described as Amphibious, existing comfortably on land or water. I had planned on using it as a mount, in general I think riding anything with a fear rating communicates the right kind of message. We have a fairly large "flying city" type RT ship so getting it to and fro isn't much of an issue until we're planet side, then it's really for Wars and planned assaults. It's not the walking around pet, another Razorwing is probably a better choice there.

I'm not going to argue with the GM about it, it's either an acceptable acquisition or it isn't. Given it's lack of advanced traits (doesn't have mono teeth, doesn't have advanced armor) i don't really think it's giant wound total is a big deal, it's basically a way to get one or two problem targets (read psyker) out of a fight early.

It's not the walking around pet, another Razorwing is probably a better choice there.

Why not Zoidberg a clawed fiend? ;)