New player questions! Please help me!

By Aristeaus, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

1: Is there a way to search for local areas that play organized or unorganized? I am in northern alabama and don't see anything short of Atlanta, which is too far to travel.

2: Do the crests ( War, Noble, Holy, etc ) do anything innately? Or do they just interact with other cards that require crests? If they do something by themselves, can you give me a quick rundown?

3: How does naval work? You kneel a naval icon to ship the attacker with the same icon, making him only blockable by naval? Does the Naval kneeler become part of the challenge as well? Would the same be done for defense ( have to kneel naval to block ? ).

4: Power on cards. Does it add to the printed strength on the card? So a 3 Strength Renown who wins a challenge, becomes 3 strength with 1 power on it, making it a 4 strength for future challenges?

5: Is there a limit to duplicates? Davos gets a free dupe from the top, but could you also place 2 more Davos dupes on him after that?

Thank you a million times. If you want to answer just one instead of writing me a book, that would still help me greatly!

1: Is there a way to search for local areas that play organized or unorganized? I am in northern alabama and don't see anything short of Atlanta, which is too far to travel.

No one really maintains a database. Post requests in the Metagame and Organized play forums, on other fan sites, or start something at your own local store.

2: Do the crests ( War, Noble, Holy, etc ) do anything innately? Or do they just interact with other cards that require crests? If they do something by themselves, can you give me a quick rundown?

No. Crests are a lot like traits in that regard. They don't mean anything themselves. You need some card effect that interacts with them.

3: How does naval work? You kneel a naval icon to ship the attacker with the same icon, making him only blockable by naval? Does the Naval kneeler become part of the challenge as well? Would the same be done for defense ( have to kneel naval to block ? ).

Take a look at the FAQ . The rules for Naval, Shadows, and all the other mechanics added after the Core Set was developed are on the final three pages.

4: Power on cards. Does it add to the printed strength on the card? So a 3 Strength Renown who wins a challenge, becomes 3 strength with 1 power on it, making it a 4 strength for future challenges?

No. Power on cards is just power that counts toward your victory total that cannot be stolen from your House card (like when you lose a Power Challenge), but is lost if the card leaves play. There's nothing anywhere in the rules that would imply that power counters on characters "naturally" boosts their STR. Some cards have the specific ability "This card gets +1 STR for each power on it," but without that text on the card, it doesn't happen.

5: Is there a limit to duplicates? Davos gets a free dupe from the top, but could you also place 2 more Davos dupes on him after that?

There is no limit to the number of duplicates a card can have - although short of a special ability like Davos', cards are unlikely to ever have more than 2 duplicates since you cannot have more than three copies of a card by title in your deck.

ktom, thank you sir.

I live Northeast of Atlanta. We had a Regional recently with guys from TN, FL, and SC, but nobody from Alabama.