Beginner game disappointing

By koraldon, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Beginner Game

I have waited for the AoR beginner and now it has arrived...

While the system look cool and fun, the adventure seems okay as an introduction, I'm disappointed in the editorial choices made.

I knew that FFG split the game to three parts, as well that there are no chargen rules included. But I'm surprised by the lack of info and guideance to the GM - in the rule book there are only three pages of content to the GM- 8 adversaries and zero advice on how to run a game.

It seems extremely limited and disappointing, a few more pages would have allowed people to more easily run and create their own stories.

Compared to paizo beginner, which included full chargen for 35 buck, and dice etc... On one hand, and the new dnd starter, which while lacking chargen has a better page count and a price of 20 buck, I feel disappointed in the content included - it is more like a beginner adventure than a game.

As a side note, I also didn't see any mechanical differences between the species, or is it only relevant during chargen?

Maybe you're looking in the wrong place? The end of the Adventure book has some good ideas on how to continue adventures on Onderon as well as the galaxy at large. It also has some solid, practical tips on GMing.

The Adventure book is for adventuring. The rules book is just for rules.

The free adventure, Operation: Shadowpoint, is a continuation of the Beginner Game and has lots more adventure and more ideas on how to continue once your mission on Onderon is complete.

I feel disappointed in the content included - it is more like a beginner adventure than a game.

That's kind of the point of the box. It introduces the system in an easy manner and gives a simple adventure and pre-made characters. In fact, I'm pretty sure it says right on the box that that's all it contains.

Besides that, there's everything awayputurwpn mentioned. Everything's there, you're probably just looking in the wrong place. But if you want more, you'd have to cough up for the core rulebook which contains character creation, rules, general GMing tips, tons of info on the galaxy and enemies, and will come with a short adventure as well.

it is more like a beginner adventure than a game.

Psst - it is a beginner adventure. It's railroad-y and simplistic and designed to teach the game mechanics in a very easy to digest way. The follow up game is a bit better, but if you're expecting Jewel of Yavin (or even Beyond the Rim) levels of story telling, you're looking in the wrong place.

I'm thinking the title " Beginner Box" would be a rather significant tip-off that this isn't a full stand-alone RPG, and is indeed marketed for Beginners, i.e. the folks getting their feet wet in terms of RPGs, particularly FFG's system.

I'm thinking the title " Beginner Box" would be a rather significant tip-off that this isn't a full stand-alone RPG, and is indeed marketed for Beginners, i.e. the folks getting their foeet wet in terms of RPGs, particularly FFG's system.

OTOH, there are a lot of us 'seasoned' players that hang around here talking about it, so it obviously appeals beyond its intended market. It's okay to say that it doesn't work well outside of its intended role so long as you're willing to concede that you're taking out of that role.

As a example, I am not at all impressed by the performance of a Segway on the freeway. :P

Played through it last Sunday. Bit limited. Bit of a dungeon crawl (which we subverted quite a bit (I was playing the Diplomat and convinced the Imperials that I was there to conduct a surprise inspection for the Moff)). A good laugh, really.

The EotE Beginner box felt like the tutorial level of a computer game. With this one that feeling was less obvious, but I can't tell if that's because the instructive elements were implemented more naturally or if we were just too familiar with the system to wait for the game to prompt us to attempt stuff.

Wrong forum, go to AoR beginner set.