Excited to play this!

By RogalDorn01, in Deathwatch Gamemasters

I've been active an player in a Rogue Trader campaign for a few years and several other game systems for many years. I have always wanted to be a GM, but our group has a host of VERY talented folks who usually do that. Well, the time is now...I know 40k like the back of my hand (used to run a GW store) and I went ahead and bought all the books (so many...) today. I just want to say thank you to all the people that posted all over the many "I'm a new GM" posts on here. I think I have just the right blend of unrelated skills to not be the worst person who ever tried to hold an entire universe in their mind at once for the sake of their friends fun...

I put out a quick word and got five players that are ready to go for Thursday nights...so wish me luck!

May the Force Emperor be with you!

Good luck, you may need it. GM'ing some groups is like trying to navigate a minefield blindly on a pogo stick. However I am sure if you are faithful to the Emperor/ Omnissiah/ *cough* Or Dark Gods *cough* then you shall prevail.

Edited by Calgor Grim

Here is the most important advice: don't get stuck on the rules or game world. Pay repeatedly attention to the mindset of your players during the session. Are they bored? Throw in something they didn't see coming. Does a fight drag on too long? Wrap it up quickly. Do they enjoy outfitting and planning? Let them have at it.

And most important of these: Pay attention to where and when your players seem to be able to predict you or the course of action and why.

Other than that, enjoy it. Be excited about what you do and some of it is sure to bleed off. :D

Alex

Edited by ak-73

Oh, don't forget to tell us how it goes!

I think this is the first time I've heard of a group where there are so many people interested in GM'ing that they'd have to fight over it. :lol:

Good luck and have fun!

Yup I spent some time yesterday (slacking at work) recruiting and reading some PDFs of the various books and rules. Organized a miraculous last minute meet up of all the involved players and we all talked about what they were all hoping for from the campaign and they all came up with basic back stories of the game. I had a last minute addition who wanted to join. So now I have six players who oddly enough quite independently picked each of the six classes without quite realizing that they didn't duplicate things.

So the Kill team consists of (Names to follow)

Space Wolf Runepriest

Iron Hands Techmarine

Raven Guard Devastator

Raven Guard Assault Marine

Imperial Fists Tactical Marine

and an Apothecary who is still weighing his choices for chapter choice.

So apparently this has become a first founding party... I organized a second session at my house tonight for us to all get together, roll our characters and hopeful run through a practice encounter or two in the training rooms of Watch Fortress Erioch. I am surprised that I have gotten such positive feedback, everyone is putting their lives (we all have jobs, half of us have kids, and we are all in our 30's) on hold to get this planning stuff done so we can begin our first actual mission in earnest next week.

So far I am thinking of organizing the campaign along the lines of the three primary crusade salients that are currently underway. I am considering an approach that almost likens itself to the Dawn of War II mission selection screens. There are various issues and calls for help coming in from all over the sector as each of the three arms of the crusade is in serious trouble. By assisting each of the crusades in their various ways they can assist the overall crusade in actually attempting to make some progress in some fashion.

Along the way I would like for there to be three secondary groups of villains with their own agenda's and plans. There would be one Primary group of villains as well of course. Here is my rough outline. I know these ideas are not very original, but it should be enough to get the players started on whatever shenanigans they are going to no doubt get up to.

• (Primary Villains) A chaos warband of the Alpha Legion that has seriously infiltrated the loyal and chaos held areas of space. Their primary goal will be the capture of intelligence required for them to locate the Watch Fortress and the Omega Vault. I will sprinkle evidence of their work throughout any missions that are undertook in the areas of space that they would be in until the players notice this and attempt to investigate. If they don't catch on then eventually I will throw them a bone with a gutted imperial ship with few if any survivors and let it be known that the primary thrust of the attack seemed to be focused on kidnapping the ships Navigator.
  • (Secondary) A Tau special forces unit that is attempting to undermine the crusade efforts in their area of space. I will have to read more about what the Tau are up to here, but I like the idea of them going around jacking up crusade efforts in much the same way that the Deathwatch do...just a mirror. I think though that their goal should be something to do with trying to secure the warpgate to the Jericho Reach.
  • (Secondary) A small host of Eldar intent on doing something involving making sure the Tyranids are too distracted with the Imperials (and vice-versa) to notice that they are trying to get the hell out of this area of space for obvious (and less so) reasons
  • (Secondary) A Chaos Sorcerer of the Word Bearers that is attempting to conduct some sort of ritual that would greatly expand the size of the Hades Anomaly.

Thanks again for your support gang! Keep in mind I am a loyal fanboy, so if you see something that doesn't jive with the source material for Jericho Reach it's because I have not read that far yet into the books! Feel free to point it out, but if you could also do me the courtesy of letting me know where to find the correct info in the books as well it would be super cool!