Sniper Shot: Within Medium Range?

By Ralzar, in WFRP Rules Questions

One of my players is a Scout/Hunter who has a bunch of ranged actions. One of these is Sniper Shot and this action mentally trips us up a bit each time it comes into play. Because everyone expects it to be used for, well... sniping.

But the requirement for the card says "target within medium range" which seems just wrong. The character uses a longbow, is hidden and spots an enemy at long range and he can't use sniper shot?

Has anyone else been a bit puzzled over the designers choice to limit this action to medium range? I was actually expecting that it was just medium on the reckless side and long on the conservative side. I might house rule it that way so the rules start to more thematically fit the name.

Edited by Ralzar

Sounds like a good one to house rule to long range. They have to be successfully hidden and i'd add an extra purple at Long range then (because otherwise you will quickly start having pointless battles, where he just sits and picks people off with no consequences or retaliation possible).

I'd also require the opposed hide stealth check (because of the sound of the bow and the requirement of being upright (you can't fire a longbow very well from a prone position).

jh

I think the "sniper" part is more about hitting the right spot (head shot?) rather than about range.

The action is quite dangerous as it can deal criticals from hammers, chance to ignore armour soak (reckless), possibility to deal bonus damage equal to DR (conservative) and bonus damage at only one boon.

So I believe the designers were aiming for (haha!) an action that felt as it targeted weak spots in the opponents defences, rather than shooting from miles away.

An simple houserule might be to allow the player to shoot from long range with an additional purple die. Or just re-name it to aimed shot or somesuch. Extreme Shot is the action for long-range shots.

"Called shot to vitals" would probably have been a better name.

jh

Edited by Emirikol

Arrow to the knee?