Starter Box

By Radish, in Warhammer 40,000: Conquest

The only LCG game I have any experience with is Netrunner. I would like to know if the starter box for this game includes ALL the cards you will need or if, like Netrunner, specific cards are left out in order to encourage people to buy multiple starter boxes.

No one knows yet but it is EXTREMELY unlikely. The core set is about having a diverse card pool in each box and not play sets.

The only LCG game I have any experience with is Netrunner. I would like to know if the starter box for this game includes ALL the cards you will need or if, like Netrunner, specific cards are left out in order to encourage people to buy multiple starter boxes.

Its an LCG.

So, just like Netrunner, you will be able to play using only the core box, and there will be "monthly" datapacks (dont know the proper name for Conquest) that will increase the card pool.

No, there will not be maximum copies of every card in the core set. The purpose of the core set is to introduce the game to new players, so it's much better to show a wider variety of cards than to have max copies of only a small number of cards.

If you are right (and I am sure you are). I hope they will do it like they did with the Star Wars starter box and not like the Warhammer Invasion starter box.

With Star Wars you had to buy 2 core sets and only had a few useless Cards as leftovers. But with Warhammer you had to buy 3 core sets and got a lot of leftovers.

I would find it rather off putting if i had to buy 3 starter sets to get play set for every card.

2 is fine because the starter is good value and in a faction game like warhammer you could probably split the second starter box with a friend but if you need 3 FFG should really make some kind of supplementary pack that adds all the missing copies from the starter.

the biggest draw of a LCG over a CCG is that you don't have to spend a fortune to get play sets of the cards you want and there is no sense of pay to win

I've only played two games of Netrunner (both wins BTW, I'm kind of a big deal) but I must say, I'm looking forward to this game. As for needing to buy 2 sets to get all the cards needed/allowed, I'm for it. I'm really looking forward to this. The amount of variation I see coming, plus the whole genre of 40k has me really excited.

I say again, I will buy two starter sets to get all the cards, needing to buy three is one too many.

E

It's most likely to be three. Star Wars was only two due to the games deck building mechanics. Every other LCG has been three for maximum copies.

i think it would be 3... but I am hoping for 2. As like star wars this is a game designed specifically for FFG. So there is no reason they can not make it two sets for a complete set. I would like Swars to be the start of a trend, not the exception.

Reasoning to believe 3:

1. Even the Star Wars core set is 1x each card. In pretty much all of the core sets, there's at least some cards that only come 1x.

2. That means you'll "need" as many core sets as makes a playset of cards for the game.

3. Expansion packs (whatever they end up being named) will be 60 cards.

4. Warlords come with 8 other cards

5. Warlord + 8 cards leaves 51 total cards for the expansion to fill with other cards

6. 51 is divisible by 3, but not 2 or 4

7. Most likely 3x will be a playset, so 3 core sets

I am fine with buying 2 or 3 core sets. Just as long as I am not buying the 2nd or 3rd box just for a few cards - and then throw the rest out in the gutter. A few leftover card (like in Star Wars) was acceptable.

I am off cause thinking about my $ AND the environment ;)

Well, hmmm, if it does require three starters, I certainly hope I love this game, and that I can get rid of the unnecessary boxes to hide the evidence from my wife! JK! in case she ever happens on here.

E

Well, hmmm, if it does require three starters, I certainly hope I love this game, and that I can get rid of the unnecessary boxes to hide the evidence from my wife!

It's not funny. I really don't know where to hide it...

Mostly likely the starter box will come with all the factions but only 1 copy of certain cards and multiple of others. It is playable out of the box but to be competitive you would atleast need 2 to 3 cores to fully customize your faction deck.

Did FFG change the NetRuner core set? I ask because mine had 3 of every card for every faction! The maximum number of alike cards allowed per deck = three. So did they start using WizKidz tactics or something? I got a second core free and then bought a third, sure, but that was so that all of my runner decks could use a program designed for one faction and that was MY choice. Even then the entire 3 core sets that gave me a mass amount of cards to play with STILL cost less than a single box of MtG or an entire brick of HeroClix and from both of those there is no WAY you will see even 30% of their respective sets. So you're bitchin' about the allocation of cards in LCG's??!! REALLY???? SERIOUSLY??!! Wow. just. wow. You deserve a extra special type of WHINER award for that one pal........ at least now we can have all the pieces of the game at least!

Personally, I'm immensely grateful that a company's marketing dept chose long term greed for themselves over short term frustration for their players. I've long wondered what would happen to sales if the common, uncommon, rare, super rare etc stuff was done away with. In case you haven't noticed LCGs also changed something else by eliminating the collectible elements. The stuff I buy today won't expire!! If you play MtG or HeroClix (well, for one, my condolences....) the stuff you buy now EXPIRES in about two years. LCGs don't expire. This is not true of any other game like these.

I dunno maybe you should go play those other games since FFG just doesn't do enough for a "special" person such as your self. An' if collecting turns you on then you can return with something you've NEVER owned before!

It's called gratitude.

Edited by xodarap

Did FFG change the NetRuner core set? I ask because mine had 3 of every card for every faction! The maximum number of alike cards allowed per deck = three. So did they start using WizKidz tactics or something? I got a second core free and then bought a third, sure, but that was so that all of my runner decks could use a program designed for one faction and that was MY choice. Even then the entire 3 core sets that gave me a mass amount of cards to play with STILL cost less than a single box of MtG or an entire brick of HeroClix and from both of those there is no WAY you will see even 30% of their respective sets. So you're bitchin' about the allocation of cards in LCG's??!! REALLY???? SERIOUSLY??!! Wow. just. wow. You deserve a extra special type of WHINER award for that one pal........ at least now we can have all the pieces of the game at least!

Personally, I'm immensely grateful that a company's marketing dept chose long term greed for themselves over short term frustration for their players. I've long wondered what would happen to sales if the common, uncommon, rare, super rare etc stuff was done away with. In case you haven't noticed LCGs also changed something else by eliminating the collectible elements. The stuff I buy today won't expire!! If you play MtG or HeroClix (well, for one, my condolences....) the stuff you buy now EXPIRES in about two years. LCGs don't expire. This is not true of any other game like these.

I dunno maybe you should go play those other games since FFG just doesn't do enough for a "special" person such as your self. An' if collecting turns you on then you can return with something you've NEVER owned before!

It's called gratitude.

Before you try to be a snarky ******* you should have at least gotten your facts straight. Unless of course you got a hold of some sort of box that included every card before they decided to put rarity markings on the cards to indicate how many of them were included in the starter.

Bummer that they apparently produce all of their LCGs this way since it's such a waste.

ANR did not have 3 of every card. Not even close. You needed 2 sets to play on any serious level and the competitive player they have to buy 3 sets for the few (I think it is like 12 cards or something) that only came in singles.

Like no self respecting competitive criminal player only has 1 Desperado!

The thing is that CORE sets usually have great cards in them that last for the entire run of the game, I think this is due ot not having a full idea of the form of the game yet. So some cards that in latter sets would have trait restrictions or something do not in core.. so they are mega good for a lot of decks.

This means that in the early stages of the LCG it is a huge advantage to have access in triplicate while the card pool is small. Still over time as new cards come out the advantage of having 3 Desperados' instead of 2 Desperados gets smaller and smaller. Specially if there is powercreep on a core set card and it is replaced.

Still, in those early days in competitive play, having 3 of those ubr powerful unique cards can make your deck shine vs others using less sets.

For me personally, of course I would prefer to buy 1 or maybe 2 sets. Still the truth is I will get how ever many cores I need to get a full set of 3 of every card.

Edited by booored

It's called gratitude.

Before you try to be a snarky ******* you should have at least gotten your facts straight. Unless of course you got a hold of some sort of box that included every card before they decided to put rarity markings on the cards to indicate how many of them were included in the starter.

Bummer that they apparently produce all of their LCGs this way since it's such a waste.

Annnnnnn if y'all don't have the guts to say what's really on your mind - Then don't say anything rather than making it seem like your going to and then.......nothing. Whasa' matter? Fraid' of being banned from the FGG website?? REALLY?? *uncontrollable laughter* That's like being terrified that the big bad corporation won't let you watch their ads anymore!

*sniffle* Ah seriously though if not for brave souls such as yourself I'd never be called a snarky row of asterixes......not that I'd miss that. Why DO you guys just assume that "********" is the same as a word? It's not. Words either have meaning or they don't. Make up your mind. That isn't comunicating that's coping out. Have the courage (or in your case, maybe just the rage at least) of your convictions. If you feel something then FEEL it. Don't just fumble around some vauge idea and make me guess. Swearing just shows a lack of creativity anyway. Fake swearing? Seriously, so you're like what, five? Boring.

By the way "snarky" implies a use of sarcasm which is completely absent from my post. I was dead literal with every word. Tell ya' what, I'll make you a deal: I'll work on getting my GAMING facts straight while you work on your slang, kay'? Who says there can't be gamer detante'?

I wasn't being sarcastic, I was just wrong. Which is okay since I've learned my error and........and well, nothing else useful at all really. Just that I was wrong about how many cards come with the core. How about this for an answer: ENOUGH that you get your moneys worth in comparision to other companies card game models. Sorry I was wrong but I really did think that you got all the cards you needed to make a max deck for each faction.

Netrunner core sets do not have 3 of every card.

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/ffg_content/android-netrunner/support/AND01-card-list.pdf

None of the core sets do.

*facedeskx5* Right. Got it. I was wrong. I suck at remembering the original # of cards in a set, I won't do it again. Emergency abated.

Is that really what's important though? I screwed up, cool I can live with that. Being wrong isn't bad, being ignorant is. If you're too scared to risk being wrong you're not gonna' learn much which is the most important thing for me at least.

What IS important to me about this thread is pointing out how MUCH of a risk FFG took and still takes with the LCG model and how much credit/appreciation they DON'T get for it. Y'know what? Let's forget about credit/appreciation because I truly believe that may be beyond the reach of people who can't even achieve UNDERSTANDING about the actual importance of what FFG has done. Now some (not all) will copy the model seeing that it has been viable! We could be looking at the end of Common, Uncommon, Rare, Super-Rare, Chase, Elite Chase (believe it or not I'm totally not making that one up!), Special you only get it if you show up, and You Wish! rarities! Who wouldn't love that!

Being a former 40K 2nd ed player who was self-admittedly "priced-out" of the game, actually I'm not sure if I'm talking about you, you're co-host or me here since we were ALL priced out after 2nd ed. What if a game company came along and said "Y'know what if we just make a miniatures game and only charge enough to make an honest hard-working profit and not a psuedo empire?" You would likely be delighted! Right. Well that's how I feel about LCGs. Perfect? No. A definite step in the right direction? Quote the bard: (and part time WAY too psychic investigator) "****, yes."

ANR did not have 3 of every card. Not even close. You needed 2 sets to play on any serious level and the competitive player they have to buy 3 sets for the few (I think it is like 12 cards or something) that only came in singles.

Like no self respecting competitive criminal player only has 1 Desperado!

The thing is that CORE sets usually have great cards in them that last for the entire run of the game, I think this is due ot not having a full idea of the form of the game yet. So some cards that in latter sets would have trait restrictions or something do not in core.. so they are mega good for a lot of decks.

This means that in the early stages of the LCG it is a huge advantage to have access in triplicate while the card pool is small. Still over time as new cards come out the advantage of having 3 Desperados' instead of 2 Desperados gets smaller and smaller. Specially if there is powercreep on a core set card and it is replaced.

Still, in those early days in competitive play, having 3 of those ubr powerful unique cards can make your deck shine vs others using less sets.

For me personally, of course I would prefer to buy 1 or maybe 2 sets. Still the truth is I will get how ever many cores I need to get a full set of 3 of every card.

Wow Desperado was one of the one only cards? Like I've said, sorry, I was wrong. (An' if one of those cards was Desperado-REAL wrong....) Yet I'll stand by what I've said, it's a LOT better than the other models.

Do you feel that NetRunner is worth what you've paid for it even though you've bought three cores? The way I see it, three cores is $90. Still less than a box of well, anything. From that you have at least three and in many, many, cases a lot more copies of every card and can easily build a good deck for each of the seven factions. That's about $12.75 per deck, about the same as a starter deck but made with ALL of the best cards in the game, not just one or two. Totally worth it in my opinion. (Still.)

Am I a fool for thinking I could go to FGGs OWN website and praise their courage and maybe show some appreciation withOUT being contradicted? Yes, Yes I am.

LCG's are way better value than CCG's/TCG's and I acknowledge that having a play-set of every card is impractical for a core set but that doesn't change the fact that I dislike needing to buy 3 core sets to build a competitive deck.

It cant be that hard to simply sell a pack that contains all the cards missing from the core set

Have they announced how many core boxes you will need for play sets?

3 but they didn't annouce that officialy.

LCGs are better than TCGs.. no question. We as players are like a girl that gets beaten by her boyfriend, finally dump him and now have a new boyfriend that only hits us, but doesn't put us in hospital. While the CCG price model is really expensive.. guess what.. the LCG model is also EXTREMELY expensive.. just not in relation to the TCG one.

Most players "subscribe" to the game and buy every pack that comes out. Even though the games are marketed as "buy what you like from the card pool". The truth is that it is not like this. FFG loads the LCGs with tons of factions.. this is not just to make the game cool.. it is a calculated choice to force pack buying.

If for example you want to make a awesome Call of Cthulhu deck you will find that any net deck you look at or any deck you build from a deck builder looking at the full pool will have all these cards you do not own. That is fine you say, LCG model! I know what cards are in what packs.. I can just buy those packs. But guess what.. having tons of factions means that each pack has like 2 cards in it per faction.. maybe 3 if you're lucky. So to get all the cards you are looking for you need to buy tons and tons of packs.

Again, not a scratch on the cost of a TCG, but your still looking at 1-200 bucks for a single deck of your choice... in a competitive sense.. and the longer the game is out, the more dispersed the cards are across a ton of packs.

Wow Desperado was one of the one only cards?

Yes, it and other powerful cards were only 1 copy.