New player needs the Deck building basics run down

By Kilazar, in Android: Netrunner Deck Building

So just as a general rule for a new player to get used to deck building and not come out with total crap decks. What are the general safe rules for deck building? As in how many programs, how many should be ice breakers, how many events, etc.

Just something to start with. I'm not looking for hard law, just some basic guidelines to follow as I start working towards my own deck style.

I don't think there is any firm rules for building decks: most people find their personal comfort level, or one that works for a specific idea. You can have a look at something like http://netrunnerdb.com/en/decklists/popular for popular decks, read the discussion, start developing your own idea of what kind of balance you want for your deck.

I'd recommend primarily looking at a card's effect rather than it's type. If I'm considering Medium, I'm not looking for - a- program but a way to access multiple cards and my alternatives would be R&D Interface (hardware) or Maker's Eye (event), not another program. That being said, here's how I'd go about building a fairly standard deck:

I usually run 2 of each type of breaker (fracter, decoder, killer). If you want to increase the odds of drawing into them you can go with 3 but as long as a breaker is installed you're obviously not using any copies you may have and the slots could be used for other cards.

Then you need something that lets you gain credits more efficiently than one per click. Sure Gamble seems to be something of an auto-include for a lot of people, and it's great, but you'll also want something that costs less for when you're broke. Also, having a mix of burst- and sustained income is a good idea.

Third, include something that lets you get the cards you need (again, more efficiently than drawing through your deck one by one). You can play something that draws several cards at once (which has the added upside of your hand doubling as your hitpoints), something that lets you look at a few cards and select one or a tutor that allows you to search for a specific card.

Round that out with some utility cards to make your runs more profitable or easier, to make things you're doing anyway more efficient or to make the game harder for the corporation and I feel you should have a functional deck.

If that seems a bit broad 1) I'll gladly try to illustrate my points using my own decklist if that helps but more importantly, 2) it's because there are tons of completely different decks. I've seen people play (and do well with) everything from 3 of each breaker in a 40 card deck to just Crypsis. I don't think anyone plays a deck without any breakers, but I have seen people play games without installing any.

Edited by AmtsboteHannes

You might be interested in D Tse's Deckbuilding 101 series. To read the series in order, go to the bottom of this page and scroll up.

Is there an ANDROID: NETRUNNER book out yet?

A magazine would be helpful as well.

I have just used the starter box, selected factions and included cards only from that faction to build the deck, only duplicating once all the cards have been used, that probably gives a good balanced start.

For future play I will probably concentrate on what the cards do (so for example cards that credits), and then build decks based around those ideas to further explore the game dynamics.

Don't forget the neutral cards or you won't have a legal deck (assuming core set only)