Favorite Horror Genre TV Shows

By SuperKalelJorson7, in CoC Off Topic

Just following the movie thread, but what are your favorites TV shows, past and present?

My all-time favorite would be the original Kolchak: The Night Stalker. I just love the idea of a cowardly reporter facing supernatural menaces alone, because no one else believes him.

The Night Gallery had some good episodes, just like the Boris Karloff hosted show, "Thriller."

X-Files

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Any others?

x-files by a mile but i also enjoy the old twilight zone episodes, not sure if thats considered horror. not only are those my two favorite horror shows but those are easily in my top 5 all time favorite shows too. x-files is the greatest thing thats ever been on tv.

I don't think there's ever been a horror tv show I really enjoyed.

I liked the first season of Millenium, but I guess that wasn't horror or was it?

It's interesting how opinions can differ: X-Files get's my vote for the _worst_ tv show of the genre.

And I'd say Buffy is comedy, not horror.

Never quite sure what counts as 'horror' rather than SF, fantasy, drama... but I'd put forward 'Threshold', excellent idea that deserved to be continued rather than killed off after the first series.

Well, I'm a big Buffy and Angel fan and been getting into Fringe. The plus with these shows is they're fiancee-friendly (not much into the gore, so she sometimes has to look away at Fringe).

In the hit and miss category, Tales from the Crypt had a few good episodes. The X-Files was really good for the first few seasons, but lost it's way and became boring. Additionally, the first season of Masters of Horror had a few good episodes (and a few clunkers).

But my favorite, the one that still can send shivers down my spine, is the original Outer Limits. While the stories are a bit more sci-fi oriented, it still managed to be terrifying. And a few of the episodes (It Came from the Woodwork comes to mind) had a bit of the cosmic horror angle behind it.

I loved the Hitchhiker series on HBO back in the early 80s. That was pretty good, and was freaky at times. I hadn't thought of it in years, though.

Threshold had only one thing going for it -- Peter Dinklage. I thought everything else about the show needed improvement, and frankly only watched it because of Peter. Not that it couldn't have been a decent show, but I ust don't think the network wanted to spend the money needed to make it good.

Loved X-FIles and Millenium. And the Twilight Zone. I actually enjoyed the 80s version better than the original, the 60s and the 90s versions. But that may be because the Invisibles episode is still me favorite.

jhaelen said:

I don't think there's ever been a horror tv show I really enjoyed.

I liked the first season of Millenium, but I guess that wasn't horror or was it?

It's interesting how opinions can differ: X-Files get's my vote for the _worst_ tv show of the genre.

And I'd say Buffy is comedy, not horror.

That's too bad about not finding one you enjoyed. I would put Milennium in the horror category.

I'd have to disagree on X-Files and Buffy. X-Files had some classic moments, both for sci-fi and horror. Buffy clearly had a humorous streak, but they had some truly creepy episodes, "Hush" is the first that comes to mind, the Dark Willow episodes, too.

sepayne7l said:

I'd have to disagree on X-Files and Buffy. X-Files had some classic moments, both for sci-fi and horror. Buffy clearly had a humorous streak, but they had some truly creepy episodes, "Hush" is the first that comes to mind, the Dark Willow episodes, too.

I always liked American Gothic . Oh, and look it's available for free on Hulu, can't beat that...

Oh, American Gothic was good. Such a shame it lasted one season. When someone knocks usually my wife or I will still say, the "Someon's at the door" line from the show.

I do that too with "Someone's at the Door," I think it was the way Merlyn said it that always stuck with me.

My sister had a mug, "Conscience is just the fear of being caught. -- Lucas Buck."

I think I was the one who gave it to her. I wonder if she still has it? I'll check next time I visit... but mugs are notoriously fragile.

I'm really into "True Blood" lately. First few episodes where 'Ok' but after that it's really picking up. Vampires FTW! :D

I agree completely, Trublood is great. My partner showed it to me after much dodging on my part (I'm kind of sick of vampires), but it's really quite good, I don't think I'd classify it as horror though, maybe I'm just jaded.

And I LOVE the X-Files. The last few seasons were kind of silly, but the early episodes were great, especially 'Home'.

Glasser's Muse said:

And I LOVE the X-Files. The last few seasons were kind of silly, but the early episodes were great, especially 'Home'.

that episode creeped me out big time as a kid and i lived in a small town and every time i heard a car drive slow down the street or heard a car door close at night i was wide awake again. even thinking about that episode now weirds me out.....

folie a deux is such a lovecraftian episodes and was always one of my favorites, later when i found out about lovecraft i was like wow that episode really has to be a nod to that type of horror.

I would have to say Supernatural and Fringe are my two current favorites. Fringe is very X-files meets Alias, I really dug the story arc through the first season, and Supernatural is just fun. gran_risa.gif

Deek said:

I would have to say Supernatural and Fringe are my two current favorites. Fringe is very X-files meets Alias, I really dug the story arc through the first season, and Supernatural is just fun. gran_risa.gif

And it's precisely my main criticism about Supernatural that it's 'just fun'. If I wanted 'just fun' I'd watch any of the hundreds (thousands?) of comedy shows.

I don't think there's _ever_ been a good TV horror show. The first season of Millenium got close, but it was more crime than horror. The later seaons were junk because they were trying to appeal to the X-files fans...

jhaelen said:

And it's precisely my main criticism about Supernatural that it's 'just fun'. If I wanted 'just fun' I'd watch any of the hundreds (thousands?) of comedy shows.

Meh. Supernatural certainly includes some funny, but I wouldn't call it a comedy. I have "fun" watching some pretty horrid stuff ... maybe our definitions differ. demonio.gif

That said, it's not dark, gritty nor all that scary. It's bubblegum horror, to be sure.

I spy a Millennium box set sitting on my shelf, still in the plastic wrap. I need to dig into that ...

ooooh True Blood is AMAZING!

I am not a huge fan of vampires...but I really enjoy that show.

Fringe is amazing as well. It never ceases to blow my mind.

I don't typically watch horror for the scare factor. Occaisionally an episode or movie will creep me out. With that said, I'm often more entertained by dark and/or subtle humour or just bizzare scenarios.

I think Hammer House of Horror from the eighties is pretty entertaining.

I am also an X-Files fan, but after season six, I lose interest.

My girlfriend and I are currently on season four of Buffy . I thought that was going to be a guilty pleasure, but I am actually pretty fond of the campy nature of it.

I thought Masters of Horror had a few really good episodes.

One of my favourite series was Twin Peaks , but I guess it isn't really considered to be horror. Ironically, I found it to be creepier than anything I've mentioned above.

There is some decent horror anime out there. I liked Vampire Princess Miyu .

Ultimately I think TV is pretty much crap, so I guess we take what we can get. :)

I am very surprised! The only (albeit not truly horror), unique , one in a gazillion (I'm-going over the board here)

Twin. Peaks.

Twin Peaks is one of my all time favorites, too. Bob creeping over the bed, the golf club attack that flippin' giant/dwarf.

I recently saw on Chiller a BBC series that only lasted 6 episodes called Apparitions. Very, very creepy. Sort of an Exorcist 3 kind of creepy. My wife won't even be in the room when it's on.

X-files

Supernatural

IZombie

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

Angel

Kolchak the Night Stalker (original)

Tales from the Crypt

Tales from the Darkside

American Horror Story