The aliens no one ever wants

By numerounoarnold, in Cosmic Encounter

The Tick-Tock is a bit dull, but remember you can still win normally... Your most likely not gonna be helping anyone defend (due to the fact that it makes you win as well as get rewards) but that doesnt mean you cant go into the offense either.

More often then not if a Tick-Tock wins, its gonna be because normal conditions, but having an extra win condition is not bad at all too. remember making deals success removes a token (enough though its counted as a successful encounter, which means the offensive main player can attack again).

I haven't gotten to play the FFG version yet, but we always detested playing the Healer. I understand why he is powerful, but it always seemed so lame. The philanthropist also tended to be a bit "meh" until people really realize that - oh yeah... I can totally mess with people. The Vulch was by far the most hated, and I agree, the new version will probably change this with the improved artifacts.

I think the Pacifist is a race that you either LOVE playing or HATE playing, and it typically depends on how many Negotiate cards you get and how good you are at bluffing the opponents into thinking you have a negotiate card. Statistically speaking, the Pacifist's power allows the player to win more often in combat, because you can think of the N cards as "auto-wins" if the opponent plays a number (and doesn't zap you). If the opponent plays an N, you get to either make a deal or play an attack card and win - so, like I said, statistically they have some pretty good chances.

Bael

Updating my thoughts in this thread to include Cosmic Incursion:

Locust.

Never has a power sounded so extremely cool and been so very worthless. First, I have to conquer a planet without allies and without a power that aids me in the encounter, then my reward is that I don't have to leave ships on the planet to hold the colony? That's a huge challenge to accomplish for a comparatively insignificant reward. At this moment, unless there is some factor I am overlooking completely, it is by far the worst power in single-alien games. Surely everyone knows the ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

My least favorite has to be Tripler. I picked it up with a Precursor Seed and hated it. I'm not sure why it's a red alert power instead of a yellow.

I see people hating on Citadel, Hacker, and Pacifist. I've won with the last one and done well with the first two. Citadel is a personal favorite now.

What surprised me that I actually liked was Mind. Someone dropped a Wild Reincarnater on my Remora (another personal favorite) and I wound up with Mind. Didn't win, but I quickly realized how much I could manipulate other players with who I invited to ally and who's alliance requests I accepted. It was more fun than I expected.

Most recently, we played a game where everyone got dealt three aliens (except me). They chose one for themselves, one to remove from consideration, and one was passed to me for my consideration. So I had to pick my alien from the other cast-offs. But, I ended up sharing the win with one other player, and had a fine time playing with Amoeba (it was him, Macron, and Fido). I almost went with Macron, because I actually do prefer it over Amoeba, but I was trying to rise to the challenge.

I like playing Hate in three player games, or in four player games with four planets. Otherwise I'm not such a fan. I also don't like that Hate is virtually never invited as a defensive ally - I like my rewards. Last gameI played was four player (five planets), and I was Hate. I went last. I used my power once, the second turn was zapped, and the by third turn I'd had lost my alien power. Hate's one that can be devastating or can be almost useless.

I like Pacifist okay, but it's not much good if you don't draw many negotiates. I also don't like never collecting compensation or screwing your allies. Yes, Pacifist is good, but not one of my favourites.

Yes, Hate is tricky. Hate is often left out of the alliance, on either side- out of spite. Once you use that power, everyone has a grudge. It's sometimes best to go later in the game as Hate- just so people aren't dwelling on how you screwed them. I'm all about being invited, and sharing those colonies... early in the game. At the end... well, let's just say it depends on what's in my hand.

It'd really suck for the other players if you drew a double power of Hate/Grudge then.

Adam said:

Locust.

Never has a power sounded so extremely cool and been so very worthless. First, I have to conquer a planet without allies and without a power that aids me in the encounter, then my reward is that I don't have to leave ships on the planet to hold the colony? That's a huge challenge to accomplish for a comparatively insignificant reward. At this moment, unless there is some factor I am overlooking completely, it is by far the worst power in single-alien games. Surely everyone knows the ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force.

There's a little more to it than that.

1. You've already noted that the power means that you don't have to keep even one ship on a foreign planet. This means that towards the end game, you could have 4 more ships available for use. Yes, that's a slight advantage.

2. Another advantage is that those devoured planets can't be taken away from you. Even if you lose your power, they still count.

3. The last advantage is the super flare which allows the Locust to possibly destroy a planet with other ships on it. When you get that, you have the potential to reduce other players' scores without harming your score.

Yes, the Locust starts off a little weak without its flare. However, being underestimated by other players is not all that bad. Plus, if you get the Locust Super Flare, suddenly, you're changing the flow of the game.

I loved the Star Wars quote.