Binding Contracts

By 51powerski, in Black Crusade

So... anyone familiar with this?

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=4829

Apparently run at last years gencon now available for download. First I heard of it.

The idea of being able to run it for the 4 different games sounds pretty neato.

Thoughts?

First I've heared of it.

First I've.. dammit Tenebrae, I was just going to say that.

I've never even heard of this.

Edit: Apparently it IS from just yesterday, but WAS written all the way back for GenCon 2013. That's what threw me off. No wonder I haven't heard of this, it's fresh news. And cool beans.

Edit 2: ...too bad Dark Heresy didn't get an adventure. D:

Edited by Fgdsfg

Epic by the look of it.

-At last FFG uses similarities in game systems to full extent.

-Theme and mood of every adventure is adequate, despite they picture the same evetns

-Possibilities for replaying the joined campaign - and keeping it interesting with every new replay.

I hope the implementation is just as good as idea.

-At last FFG uses similarities in game systems to full extent.

Can you elaborate on that? What did they do?

PCs from Binding Contracts can be used as main NPC antagonists for Salvaging Solace and visa versa to begin with.

Oooh. Yeah, that sounds nice.

I remain sceptical as to how that would look in terms of balancing, but just having the option for an appearance built into an adventure is a cool idea.

Or did they use some special mechanic to convert characters from one system to another, regarding abilities that may not be available (or just work differently) in another book, or items that have different stats?

Lynata, I believe we have a bit of misunderstanding here. I don't have those adventures - only their descriptions, main idea and preview. But as a GM I see a huge potential, even if it is not there in the books, for creating an intercalated web of "If-then's" where player actions in one adventure can affect events in the other on every step, making all of it a huge non-linear metaplot which can be replayed a dozen times to make a dozen different fates for heretics, explorators, kill-marines, guardsmen and Hive Solas.

Transition of characters, skills etc. is not an issue at all - transition rules are present in every w40k book, and there is no need for them to be in scenarios. Balancing encounters shouldn't be a problem for any GM worth his salt as well.

Edited by Chaplain

Ah! Sorry - yeah, I thought you were already looking at the content and discovered some intriguing new rules.

Nevermind then! ^_^

First I've heard of it as well.

If anyone gets their hands on it, please do a review - as the preview pdf is rather...lacking. :)

First I've heard of it as well.

If anyone gets their hands on it, please do a review - as the preview pdf is rather...lacking. :)

There's a preview pdf`? :o

...Sounds like an awesome concept. I like sweeping points-in-time campaigns where you can change characters over; one of my favourite suggestions in the Daemonhunter rulebook is a group of acolytes having 'visions' of a grey knight campaign a thousand years and a day before.

one of my favourite suggestions in the Daemonhunter rulebook is a group of acolytes having 'visions' of a grey knight campaign a thousand years and a day before.

... whilst I like the concept of "bodyswaps" in general, with the current rules this might end up feeling like the GM going "you think your characters are cool? wait until you play this !"

If the group is on board with this, sweet, but I wouldn't spring something like that as a surprise. Too much of a difference in narrative style and power level. Might just be me and that weird bias I've developed against how the system scales, though!

I wouldn't tell my players.

I'd let them discover it and I'll bet they'd go..."wait a minute...ohhhhhhh!" when they realize who is behind it all.

I only got the BC and RT adventures, but by what I can tell the whole thing tells an overarching story from all 4 systems point of view ( they are not really meant to swap characters in though as they are for characters with about 2000 xp over starting), fairly short adventures, but makes sense ( each is only supposed to take 4ish hours) The big bonus I think is that the BC adventure has tyranids and the RT adventure has necrons in it.

I would guess the only war and deathwatch adventures would have there own little hidden gems. If you wanted to go in order you would go DW,BC,RT,OW

I thought there were supposed to be Pregenerated characters in them? (If so, how many?)

Binding Contracts has the same six(including the extra two they put out latter ) as Broken chains, just leveled up

Now that, is awesome.

I really like the characters in Broken Chains.

Looks very cool to me as well. I will probably only get the Black Crusade adventure but even so it would be pretty cool to see this come about.

Yeah I like the idea of doing a bit of RPG Lite with my group. Whenever we want to play the game but no-one's got an adventure ready I will pop out one of these with the pre-generated characters and presto we have a game for the day.

Not as good as playing an adventure we created ourselves with characters we are invested in but an interesting concept to play the fate of a world instead of the characters and takes minimal prep time.