Minion Groups Question

By hrhead, in Star Wars: Edge of the Empire Beginner Game

I'm totally new to RPGs, but this game looked like a good intro. It seems really neat.

In my "play testing", I was attacking a minion group. The minion group had two minions, with say five wound threshold each. The first has four wounds from the first combat check from the first PC. The second PC performs a combat check. It succeeds with enough damage to create a critical injury. I think the result is that you apply the damage first, which is enough to destroy one minion. Then you apply the advantage, convert to a critical injury and destroy the second minion. Did I get that right?

I think it says somewhere that mechanically, you essentially treat the critical as enough damage to kill a single minion - so don't see it as appointing a critical to a specific minion, but just as a nice amount of damage done to the group that happens to kill a minion. So it doesn't matter the order you do things, since all the damage just stacks on.

You have it right. A critical will automatically kill one of the minions and then you can apply the non-critical damage to whichever minion you deem appropriate. Dramatically it would be the most exciting to put the damage on the wounded one to finish him off and then apply the critical to the untouched one; that's just my opinion so you could reverse that if you wanted to.

Thanks! BTW, I loved one thread where someone wrote out the entire story from their first pass through the beginner game. I'm looking for a good video to watch. I've found a few but the players are learning too and I can already see mistakes they are making. I think the point is to have fun, but it would be really need to see some folks play this out correctly. Any recommendations?

I don't know about Edge of the Empire Beginner, but the Age of Rebellion Beginner Game is very similar and there is a live play video series that Fiddleback put together on that over here . The characters are different, but the dice and mechanics are the same and the situations are quite similar, game-mechanics-wise.

Edited by awayputurwpn