Summon Spells

By cailus2, in Talisman Rules Questions

Hi,

The Summon Stormcrow/Bear/Phoenix Spell cards from the Reaper Expansion) say "Cast when you are about to engage in battle" (or Phsychic Battle for the Stormcrow).

It also goes on to say "If the [summoned creature] loses, your turn immediately ends" .

My question is - can you use this if another character attacks you? For example the Troll encounters the Wizard. The Wizard would struggle to beat the Troll in Strength Combat so could he summon the Phoenix to fight on his behalf?

I'm guessing you can't but I'm hoping I'm wrong!

Cailus said:

Hi,

The Summon Stormcrow/Bear/Phoenix Spell cards from the Reaper Expansion) say "Cast when you are about to engage in battle" (or Phsychic Battle for the Stormcrow).

It also goes on to say "If the [summoned creature] loses, your turn immediately ends" .

My question is - can you use this if another character attacks you? For example the Troll encounters the Wizard. The Wizard would struggle to beat the Troll in Strength Combat so could he summon the Phoenix to fight on his behalf?

I'm guessing you can't but I'm hoping I'm wrong!

"When you're about to engage in battle/psychic combat" suggests that it's possible to cast this Spell both when attacking and defending. Summon Spells are not the best Spells for attacking, but are quite good for defensive purposes.

Just consider the Stormcrow spell: no Character can have Spells with a Craft less than 3. The Stormcrow has Craft 3; why should a Character need this stupid bird if they can't have him fight in their place when being attacked?

The_Warlock said:

"When you're about to engage in battle/psychic combat" suggests that it's possible to cast this Spell both when attacking and defending. Summon Spells are not the best Spells for attacking, but are quite good for defensive purposes.

Just consider the Stormcrow spell: no Character can have Spells with a Craft less than 3. The Stormcrow has Craft 3; why should a Character need this stupid bird if they can't have him fight in their place when being attacked?

My take is same as expressed in this thread (dug around for a bit, found on page 16 of the main Talisman section):

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=49&efcid=1&efidt=46105

Namely point #2, that if you use a Summon Spell on defense and you substitute loses, the winner gets nada as reward.

Dam said:

My take is same as expressed in this thread (dug around for a bit, found on page 16 of the main Talisman section):

http://new.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_foros_discusion.asp?efid=49&efcid=1&efidt=46105

Namely point #2, that if you use a Summon Spell on defense and you substitute loses, the winner gets nada as reward.

I've never seen this thread before. You've already asked all questions. I think that the answers given by librarycharlie in that case are good.

If i am right..

If a character summons a creature in a pvp battle and the creature lose, that player who won may not claim something from the loser...

Dam said:

The only thing to add to that thread (not going to bump a 4-month-old thread) is that the Summon spells do explicitly state that if they beat an opposing character, that character loses a life.

Only one good thing from Summon spells is, when a character from the Golden Statue willloss a fight, he lost a life instead of Statue.

When you summon it on the crown while in a pvp fight, you can save yourself one turn if needed cool.gif