Having a little trouble understanding how speacial weapons work with the Volly Fire formation order

By TheCreepingDark, in Only War Rules Questions

Simple enough question I suspect, but I'm having trouble figuring it out.

If I have a formation of 10 Ork Shoota Boyz one of which is weilding a Big Shoota, how does it actually work?

I know that I make a singlwe attack roll with a bonus of 5X the formation strength (10 in this case) and can have special weapons fir seperately, but how exactly does that work, I can see two ways.

1. The group fires at a +50 (5 per boy) and then the big shoota fires as though he was on his own (Making his own test with appropriate modifiers)

2. The group fires at +45 (5 per boy minus the big shoota)

And what happens if I have two big shootas?

1. Each of them make a test seperately.

2. They make a test with a bonus of 5X the number of special weapons?

I'm leaning towards 1 in both cases, but one of my players thinks that 2 in the first case is correct anbd I can see the logic in it, can sombody help with this please?

The special weapon(s) would not gain a bonus to hit based on size of the formation. That is reserved for members of the formation with the same weapons firing at the same target. It is to represent a mass of bullets from a single weapon type coming at the target.

The special weapons would fire on their own as a separate unit within the group with normal bonuses and penalties as though there were no formation around them.

I hope this helps.

lol TheCreepingDark was GM for the first campaign I was in and this was when we were defending a farm from Orks, and again later in a shallow trench we'd franticly dug waiting for VTOL extraction. Bit late to the party, friend, but thank you for the attempt at clarification nonetheless.

Better late than never.

I hate seeing genuine questions on here go unanswered.