Core Set Required?

By thewrathchilde, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

Is there any particular reason you have to have the core set for two player games?

I know it comes with the board, tokens, titles, etc but in a two player game you don't use the titles (right?) and you could use just about anything for power and gold…… so is there anything I have to have out of the core set or would I be better off buying me and the wife each one of the bigger boxes (Queen of Dragons, Lords of Winter)?

thanks,

Steve

Yes, you can just buy two of the expansion boxes - although you might need House cards; I don't remember if those come in the expansion boxes. The main reason to buy the Core Set is some of the basic, utility cards for heavy deck construction, but they're not vital to basic game play.

House cards are not included in the expansion boxes, but that shouldn't stop you. Just use an unused card facedown as House card, or proxy them, or use other substitutes. House cards are basically just a place to store your power tokens. Only in very rare cases do they need to be rotated to indicate a status change.

Yeah Rat is right. You don't even need an FFG official house card in major tournaments(at least I've never seen them care).

As long as you have a house card that clearly identifies which house you are playing, it will not matter.

al2qol.jpg

This is something I made as an inside joke with the NY meta and have used it as my house card in a few tournaments. I photo shopped the FFG 2013 Regional Lannister house card and put PulseGlazer's face on Cersei's body.

There are also a number of European metas that design their own house cards as prize support. These have all been allowed to be used at major tournaments without any issues that I've heard about.

So, don't worry too much about needing House cards as you only need them as a house identifier and a power token placement.

You might be able to find singles of them at Team Covenant's web store as well. I didn't look it up, but you can take a look and maybe find single cards you want to be here anyway:

http://teamcovenant.com/store/a-game-of-thrones-lcg/singles.html

Awesome. Thanks for the replies. What are the "must have" cards out of the core set that make it worthwhile? Are there enough of them to justify 3 x core sets or are you better just selectively buying singles on teamcovenant?

Awesome. Thanks for the replies. What are the "must have" cards out of the core set that make it worthwhile? Are there enough of them to justify 3 x core sets or are you better just selectively buying singles on teamcovenant?

It very much depends on the house you are looking to play however i would suggest buying 3 core boxes as this would give you at least 3 of each card

Well, I'd say that advice only holds if you are planning to get involved in tournaments and organized play and/or want the freedom to build and explore decks of all 6 Houses. If you only plan to play casually with one or two friends and/or stick to just one or two favorite Houses, buying or trading singles is probably fine (and more cost effective).

It's the plots in the Core Set that probably have the greatest utility and end up as key cards in a lot of competitive decks. Valar Morghulis, for example, is largely considered a competitive staple. Other key cards will depend on the Houses you're interested in.

Ok, thanks for your assistance. I am not looking to build all the houses or all "the decks". Currently I have no one to play with anyway but will be moving this summer and understand there are some people that play in the area I am moving to. I don't have any real concern about being really competitive.

Though it might be counter to each other and make more sense to look at houses that are complementary or can use some of the same pool of cards/themes I am looking at House Stark and House Martell. To support this I ordered the following:

-Lords of Winter Expansion

-Princes of the Sun Expansion

- Refugees of War Pack

- On Dangerous Grounds Pack

- Valar Dohaeris Pack

- A Time of Trials Pack

- A Poisoned Spear Pack

I also ordered a couple of singles (Wildfire Assault, Valar Morghulis, Planning Ahead x 3). While this might not give me everything someone could want it should at least give me enough to piece together two decks and have some alternates to swap in/out and at least be able to play once I move and get settled.

Would welcome any additional advice.

Steve

Edited by thewrathchilde

Don't forget you can get the house cards in the starter draft pack. $5. Cheapo!!