Placing upgrades

By papalorax, in Android: Netrunner Rules Questions

is there a rule - or is it considered standard - to install upgrades in a way that distinguishes them from Agenda/Asset? I always have, but that clearly is to my disadvantage.

If so, is there a way to handle the situation with an upgrade but no agenda/asset?

This is covered in the FAQ (available from the Netrunner mini-site under the support tab).

In a central server, the runner knows that you installed an upgrade because it has to be placed in the server's root.

For remotes the story is different. The runner has no idea what card type you are installing when you install it. Of course, when you are installing a second card into a remote server, they then know at least one of them has to be an upgrade (because assets and upgrades must be trashed if another asset or upgrade is installed).

Incidentally, the Corp can (if they so wish) trash any upgrades installed in their server when installing a new card (such as wanting a different region upgrade in the server).

Edited by Khouri

The Runner is not supposed to know when you Install a Card whether it is an Agenda, Asset, or Upgrade, though they are free to infer based on what is already Installed in the Server or has been Installed in the past. Also, the Corp is not allowed to change the order of the Cards in the Server, so, for example, if the Runner Exposes a facedown SanSan City Grid and you later Install another Card and they want to Expose it, they can simply point at the new card and there is no possibility that it is the SanSan.

Upgrades on Central Servers are different because the Central Servers usually contain *stuff* in them that are not Installed cards. I usually place mine sideways (like ICE, for visibility) behind the Server.

(because assets and upgrades must be trashed if another asset or upgrade is installed).

where by upgrade, you mean agenda

(because assets and upgrades must be trashed if another asset or upgrade is installed).

where by upgrade, you mean agenda

Yes, brain and hands obviously not writing the on the same paragraph.

If I may piggyback this one:

When a corp has a server installed with two cards in it (presumably an asset and upgrade), then installs another card in it, trashing one as he does, is it 'open knowlage' to know which card was just installed?

NOPE.

The only thing that's open knowledge is the order of installs. The unrezzed trashed card goes to Archives face down.

So the corp can pick up the two installed cards, add the third, shuffle them, THEN trash one?

So the corp can pick up the two installed cards, add the third, shuffle them, THEN trash one?

As Grimwalker said, the order of the installs can't be changed. The Corp can't shuffle them and if he has 2 or more cards already Installed in a Server, he has to make clear which one(s) he is Trashing.

Yeah, what I said means the OPPOSITE of that. The order in which cards were installed must always be clear to the runner.

You're positing a scenario which is specifically forbidden under the rules.

Yeah, what I said means the OPPOSITE of that. The order in which cards were installed must always be clear to the runner.

You're positing a scenario which is specifically forbidden under the rules.

Yeah, I think Grimwalker misunderstood the initial question. The Runner should know which card (as in, first or second installed) was trashed, but obviously not WHAT that card was. It should also be clear which card is card #3 when you have finished.

Indeed, it's what I thought.

Got into an argument when I asked what the last card installed was

OOOPS.

yeah, totally my bad. I don't even know how I misread that.

Thank you for today's lesson in humility.