First Time Deckbuilding: Shaper

By ZeeWulfeh, in Android: Netrunner Deck Building

Hi, I'm rather new to the game. How new?
I'm waiting for a copy of creation and control to show up this weekend, and yesterday I just finished sorting out all the datapacks.

I'm pretty darn new.

Unfortunately, I have a problem: Card Bloat. You see, I find all sorts of fun and nifty tools and I wanna use them all..but then I find I have no way of paying for it. So I squeeze in more stuff to pay for it, but then I discover it's drowning out all my programs. So I drop another couple programs in....and...

You get the picture. So, basically here's what I came up today, and I need help figuring out what I did wrong and how to clean it up.

The idea, by the way, is to chew up the R&D and HQ of my opponent, one of whom tends to favor a very slow deck ment to attrit the runner to death. Anyway, the deck run by Kate:

Program (12)
  • 2x ZU.13 Key Master
  • 2x Snowball
  • 2x Deus X
  • 2x Creeper
  • 2x Self-modifying Code
  • 2x Paintbrush
Event (18)
  • 2x Demolition Run
  • 3x Express Delivery
  • 3x Diesel
  • 2x Modded
  • 2x The Maker's Eye
  • 2x Tinkering
  • 2x Test Run
  • 2x Levy AR Lab Access
Resource (12)
  • 2x Public Sympathy
  • 3x Underworld Contact
  • 2x Kati Jones
  • 2x Daily Casts
  • 1x Aesop's Pawnshop
  • 2x Sacrificial Construct
Hardware (14)
  • 2x e3 Feedback Implants
  • 2x HQ Interface
  • 1x Plascrete Carapace
  • 2x Dyson Mem Chip
  • 2x Rabbit Hole
  • 1x The Toolbox
  • 2x Replicator
  • 2x R&D Interface

Alright, guys, tear it to pieces.

56 cards is way too much. For a runner deck you always want to be at the minimum allowed cards (45 for Kate). So the first thing you want to do is cut 11 cards. You do that by figuring out what your deck actually wants to do. You say you want to tear up the HQ and R&D but really you just have a couple of interfaces and some maker's eyes I don't really see any emphasis on multi-access cards like Mediums and Nerve Agents. Instead you're making a link deck but the only thing that actually increases your link are 2 rabit holes 2 dyson mem chips and 1 toolbox (5 out of 45 cards is not a great chance to see these cards every game and forget about 5 out of 56). You also concentrate on the link 0 memory breakers even though they're not very good at all (ZU is ok, the rest are bad) and most likely your link will come from Dyson mem chips in which case you don't need the discounted memory cost of the breakers. You don't need paintbrush because you're not Kit and you have a full suite of breakers so you are definitely not going to be hurting for memory. Express delivery is not very good. Especially if you have to waste influence on it and you have quality time in-faction. Public sympathy is not very good either, but you will want 2 maybe 3 plascretes. Sactificial construct is a very meta-dependant card. If your opponents don't play a program destruction deck you don't need it. And most of the time it's better to include some clone chips instead anyways.

So to summarize: change your breaker suite to something more standard (Corroder/Gordian/and a favorite sentry breaker) get rid of all the bad cards that don't really do anything for your deck, and make sure your deck has only 45 cards

Hope that helps.

I see what you're saying there (and I forgot about Medium, which I actually decided should be in the list last night)...it does have a bit of ADD about what it wants to be when it grows up. And the cutting is actually the toughest part for me. I want all the toys, you know what I mean? In fact, here I went, narrowing it down a bit more and got it down to 49 cards while drawing in some of the confusion.

Program (12)
  • 2x Medium
  • 2x Gordian Blade
  • 2x Snowball
  • 2x Creeper
  • 2x Self-modifying Code
  • 2x Chakana
Event (15)
  • 2x Demolition Run
  • 3x Diesel
  • 2x Modded
  • 2x The Maker's Eye