New Player to AGoT, got some questions.

By USMCKoontz, in 1. AGoT General Discussion

My wife and I and some other members of family love playing card games. Everything from Poker to Dutch Blitz up to MTG and other LCGs.

I used to play alot of MTG, built decks, and even played in some tournaments, and hoping I can make the transition with everyone over to AGoT. I personally plan on playing in tournaments in the future, other members plan on playing for fun. Anyways I am trying to decide which "House" I want to play with. With MTG I played mainly Mono Blue or Mono Black Devotion type decks and sometimes sway into a Esper Style deck.

Not sure which house deck would work best for myself. Plan on buying all of them personally, but wanting to focus on a deck to build for competition also.Was looking at Martell and GreyJoy but not sure which House would match what my normal play style is in other games I play.

I know MTG has Blue, Green, Red, White, Blue, Mono and each one of them hs their own characterisitcs. AGoT has Stark, Lannister, Greyjoy, Martell, Baratheon, Targaryn. Any resemblence to them? Has anyone here played both of these games and could line up as close as possible which House would match up closest to which MTG color? It would help me greatly in picking a House.

This may sound like a dumb question, but I know with MTG you can run a Blue/Black color deck. Can you run a duel house deck in AGoT?

This may sound like a dumb question, but I know with MTG you can run a Blue/Black color deck. Can you run a duel house deck in AGoT?

Easy question first. Some cards have the text "House (whatever) only." Those cards can only be built into a deck with a House card that matches the specified House. All other cards can be played in any deck - BUT: if the House card does not match the affiliation of that card, you have to pay a 2-gold penalty when you play it. This is called the "Out-Of-House (OOH) gold penalty." For example, you can play a 4-cost Robert Baratheon in your Stark deck, but he will cost you a total of 6 gold to play from your hand.

Has anyone here played both of these games and could line up as close as possible which House would match up closest to which MTG color?

It doesn't really work that way. The objects of the games are very different, so it's not like the "faction" strategies line up very well between the two games. That said, each faction/House has particular concentrations, strengths, and weaknesses. You can find a lot of articles written about them and comparing them in various places (www.cardgamedb.com is a good place to start). A very short (and not comprehensive) version of the Houses is as follows:

STARK: A lot of concentration on Armies and the MILITARY challenge. Strong themes around defending challenges and searching your deck for specific cards. Also good at "direct kill" of characters after winning challenges. Relatively weak in INTRIGUE challenges. They are a good House for people who like to gain their power through winning challenges and direct confrontation between characters during challenges.

LANNISTER: A lot of concentration on the INTRIGUE challenge and having plenty of income. Strong themes around kneeling opponent's characters and managing the number of cards in hand. Relatively weak in POWER challenges. They are a good House for people who like to control the board by limiting the options of their opponents.

BARATHEON: A lot of concentration on the POWER challenge and manipulating power on both the House card and characters. Strong themes around recursion (getting things back from the discard pile) and gaining power quickly with keywords like Renown and other card effects. Relatively weak in managing their resources (cards are often more expensive). They are a good House for people who play rush strategies.

GREYJOY: A lot of concentration on locations, particularly their "warships." Strong themes around unopposed challenges, saving character from being killed, resource denial and "mill" (discarding cards from an opponent's deck). Relatively weak in fielding characters that don't need support (from locations, events, etc.) to really shine, and in drawing extra cards. They are a really good House for people who like to balance challenge-based strategies and resource denial.

TARGARYEN: A lot of concentration on attachments. VERY strong theme in "burn" (lowering an opponent's character's STR, usually killing or discarding them when they reach 0 - something that doesn't happen automatically in this game). They also do well with recursion - especially of attachments - and characters that work together. And they have dragons. Relatively slow in gaining power, and often seen as the House with the most "moving parts" to keep track of. They are a really good House for combo players and "direct damage" players (although it's important to realize that Targ's "direct damage" of characters doesn't actually help them directly gain the 15 power they need to win) who like to keep the pace of the game on the slower side.

MARTELL: A lot of concentration on events. Strong themes in icon manipulation and "revenge" (benefitting when they lose challenges, have fewer characters, etc.). They also do well with recursion and getting additional cards from the top of their deck. Relatively weak in the POWER challenge, so can sometimes be slow to gain power. They are a really good House for people who like to combine combo and control play styles, especially if they can think with a "one step back, three steps forward" mentality.

Like I said, that is a very cursory description because each faction has sub themes, different trait-based strategies, etc. I'm sure other people will be along shortly to tear up my brief descriptions. ;)

My wife and I and some other members of family love playing card games. Everything from Poker to Dutch Blitz up to MTG and other LCGs.

I used to play alot of MTG, built decks, and even played in some tournaments, and hoping I can make the transition with everyone over to AGoT. I personally plan on playing in tournaments in the future, other members plan on playing for fun. Anyways I am trying to decide which "House" I want to play with. With MTG I played mainly Mono Blue or Mono Black Devotion type decks and sometimes sway into a Esper Style deck.

Not sure which house deck would work best for myself. Plan on buying all of them personally, but wanting to focus on a deck to build for competition also.Was looking at Martell and GreyJoy but not sure which House would match what my normal play style is in other games I play.

I know MTG has Blue, Green, Red, White, Blue, Mono and each one of them hs their own characterisitcs. AGoT has Stark, Lannister, Greyjoy, Martell, Baratheon, Targaryn. Any resemblence to them? Has anyone here played both of these games and could line up as close as possible which House would match up closest to which MTG color? It would help me greatly in picking a House.

Green: Stark/Bara (big board full of beefy characters)

Blue: Martell/Greyjoy (Counterspells)

Red: Targ (direct damage)

White: Bara/Lanni (Pacifism/Shackles/Swords to Plowshares)

Black: Stark/Greyjoy (Dark Banishing, Regeneration, Deathtouch [e. g. Deadly in Thrones])

FYI I haven't played magic in a long time, but this is the rough list of how they break down.

In-so-far as dual house goes. I wouldn't recommend it. However, if blue-black is what you're going for you will very likely find Greyjoy to be a house you like.

Edit: Rethought this a little and moved Lanni to white

Edited by mdc273