Bag of Holding(treasure card)

By Velhart, in Talisman Rules Questions

A question came up.

The card says:

The bag can carry an extra 8 objects for you. If you lose an attack, the victor may not take either the bag or any object stored inside.

Similarly, neither may be taken by any character's special ability or spell. If you lose the bag, you also lose any object stored inside.

---

How can you lose the Bag then? Maybe because of a adventure card?

Can you ditch the Bag of Holding? What will happen then? normaly if you ditch a mule, you can choose wich items you want to take if you have enough space to store items somewhere, otherwise you must ditch it on the space where you are.

If i read the Bag of Holding, it says that if you lose it, you lose any objects inside. Do they go to the discard pile? Or can i do the same as with the mule example

Velhart said:

A question came up.

The card says:

The bag can carry an extra 8 objects for you. If you lose an attack, the victor may not take either the bag or any object stored inside.

Similarly, neither may be taken by any character's special ability or spell. If you lose the bag, you also lose any object stored inside.

---

How can you lose the Bag then? Maybe because of a adventure card?

Can you ditch the Bag of Holding? What will happen then? normaly if you ditch a mule, you can choose wich items you want to take if you have enough space to store items somewhere, otherwise you must ditch it on the space where you are.

If i read the Bag of Holding, it says that if you lose it, you lose any objects inside. Do they go to the discard pile? Or can i do the same as with the mule example

The card text says "neither may be taken by any Character's Special ability or Spell"... Perhaps Shatter and Gust of Wind Spell work fine. Since Raiders don't steal Objects anymore, you don't have big chances to lose the Bag because of an adventure card (Whirlwind?).

Sure you can ditch the Bag of Holding, if you're fool enough, but surely you have the time to take Objects out of it (like Concealed Pouch) and make your choices.

"to lose the Bag of Holding" is a general concept. If the Bag is dropped because of a Gust of Wind Spell, you lose the Objects inside of it and they follow the Bag's destiny. If the Bag is destroyed by the Shatter Spell, or turned into Gold for some insane purpose, all Objects contained in it should be discarded as well.

This is what I think, but you know who gives the official answers here. gui%C3%B1o.gif

TOAD!

Oh, wait, Fate re-roll, never mind llorando.gif .

Yep, only random encounters from the Adventure / Dungeon cards or being a Toad or leaving it due to wish.

============

I thought, that bag will give inlimited amount of Objects like previous Horse and Cart sad.gif

This means that this is a good bag.

You can't lose it easily.

For now i choose for the mule example..

( if i ditch a bag or lose it somehow, i can try to carry those objects myself( total 4 or maybe give it to a porter etc ( otherwise i must ditch those items.

Dam said:

TOAD!

I dont know what happen in your games but: "Toad, fate re-roll, Toad!!!" Happen enough often in our sessions gran_risa.gif and fate is not super easy to recover ( but if you are evil).

about card i agree with you, toad or random events can only drop it, very nice artifact

Andraax said:

Dam said:

TOAD!

I dont know what happen in your games but: "Toad, fate re-roll, Toad!!!" Happen enough often in our sessions gran_risa.gif and fate is not super easy to recover ( but if you are evil).

Heck, I play with the BI board, so no Fate replenish and still the Toad-rate is 3 Toads in 38 games (mainly 3-player). Even Reaper has KILLED 5 times in those games. Sad thing is, pre-Fate Toad-rate was about 1/game (so, basically, short 35 Toadings thus far llorando.gif ).

Dam said:

Andraax said:

Heck, I play with the BI board, so no Fate replenish and still the Toad-rate is 3 Toads in 38 games (mainly 3-player). Even Reaper has KILLED 5 times in those games. Sad thing is, pre-Fate Toad-rate was about 1/game (so, basically, short 35 Toadings thus far llorando.gif ).

I've only played 10 games with Reaper and Toad-rate is the same as Dam's: 1 Toad in 10 games. Reaper didn't kill anyone in my games, which are with full Fate replenishment.

Don't you think you may cast Shatter on the Bag of Holding? Based on the text reported by Velhart, it seems possible.

The_Warlock said:

Dam said:

Andraax said:

I've only played 10 games with Reaper and Toad-rate is the same as Dam's: 1 Toad in 10 games. Reaper didn't kill anyone in my games, which are with full Fate replenishment.

Don't you think you may cast Shatter on the Bag of Holding? Based on the text reported by Velhart, it seems possible.

Hmmm, considering the fact, Shatter is cast at Character not his Objects, I would allow that in my games.

Nemomon said:

Hmmm, considering the fact, Shatter is cast at Character not his Objects, I would allow that in my games.

Gust of Wind is cast on a Character, Shatter is cast on a target Object. The question is: since the card "Bag of Holding" says that it might not be taken with Spells or Special Abilities, is it possible to destroy it with Shatter?

The Objects inside are lost with the Bag and this would be a great loss for the Character.

The_Warlock said:

Nemomon said:

Gust of Wind is cast on a Character, Shatter is cast on a target Object. The question is: since the card "Bag of Holding" says that it might not be taken with Spells or Special Abilities, is it possible to destroy it with Shatter?

The Objects inside are lost with the Bag and this would be a great loss for the Character.

I think you cannot cast shatter on it.

spell cards do nothing against the bag...( not if you want to take something...

But with the last text.

It could be possible what warlock is saying. If you lose the bag, you lose everything...

Maybe the Mule example don't work with the Bag

I hope that Talismansilat will come and explains everything how this bag works.

A: how can you lose the bag

B: can you ditch the bag and what will happen with the objects( is it the same as the mule..)

C: what will happen if gust of wind is cast. ( does it not effect the bag?

The only restriction is that the Bag (and Pouch) cannot be "taken" by anyone. You can lose them if someone was to use Shatter or Gust of Wind on them. Other than that, you have to drop it or be turned into a Toad. If you ditch it you would be able to rearrange things before you do so. If it has a spell cast on it or you are Toaded then you lose what's in it.

Jon nailed it on the head. We hope that answers your questions.

Ell.

I don't understand it...

So only if a character want to steal a object by using a spell, have no effect on the bag.?

But gust of wind, shatter can you cast? because it not stealing or something??

So if you ditch or lost the bag, then you lose everthing what is inside the bag??

Yes

Yes

No for ditching and Yes for losing

talismanisland said:

Yes

Yes

Thanks Jon cool.gif

Velhart said:

talismanisland said:

Yes

Yes

Thanks Jon cool.gif

When you lose the Bag (e.g. Toad), Objects in the Bag are left inside the Bag and may be recovered by the previous owner or the occasional strutter; when the Bag is destroyed (e.g. Shatter), Objects in the Bag are destroyed as well (=discarded).

It seems that we're going for a little more realism this time!

The_Warlock said:

Velhart said:

talismanisland said:

Yes

Yes

Thanks Jon cool.gif

When you lose the Bag (e.g. Toad), Objects in the Bag are left inside the Bag and may be recovered by the previous owner or the occasional strutter; when the Bag is destroyed (e.g. Shatter), Objects in the Bag are destroyed as well (=discarded).

It seems that we're going for a little more realism this time!

I understand cool.gif

Another question came up.

Can you take the bag in a pvp fight if you killed that player?

I think you may not do that, and must ditch the bag first on the space etc..( this is the same as the concealed pouch..

Velhart said:

I think you may not do that, and must ditch the bag first on the space etc..( this is the same as the concealed pouch..

I think in that case you do get the bag/pouch. I mean you killed him, you can go over his stuff in a fine tooth-comb. Heck, skin him if that's your thing gran_risa.gif . IIRC, Pouch only mentions that it can't be taken as a normal reward if you're defeated by another player (nor can they use their ability to take the Pouch or what's inside). But when you kill another char, you took a life from them (instead of an Object) for winning the fight, then got to collect all the goodies.

Dam said:

Velhart said:

I think in that case you do get the bag/pouch. I mean you killed him, you can go over his stuff in a fine tooth-comb. Heck, skin him if that's your thing gran_risa.gif . IIRC, Pouch only mentions that it can't be taken as a normal reward if you're defeated by another player (nor can they use their ability to take the Pouch or what's inside). But when you kill another char, you took a life from them (instead of an Object) for winning the fight, then got to collect all the goodies.

Yeah, i think you are right. cool.gif

I want it confirmed by Talismansilat lengua.gif

I summon the mighty Talismansilat to answer my question gran_risa.gif

Velhart said:

Yeah, i think you are right. cool.gif

I want it confirmed by Talismansilat lengua.gif

I summon the mighty Talismansilat to answer my question gran_risa.gif

It's better to have it confirmed by Talismanamsilat and reported in the official FAQ, but he can't always be here to answer to our sometimes fussy questions. lengua.gif

The revised Rulebook clarifies what happens when a Character is killed: the winner can take any Objects, Followers and Gold from the dead Character. Bag/Pouch are Objects that stay hidden from Acquisition-like Spells and that cannot be taken as a reward by the winning Character. A dead Character is a special case, because he loses all his stuff and the winner grabs what he wants. In this case, Bag/Pouch is first lost , then taken, if you absolutely want to handle it by the rules.

Yes of course. A character being killed means that the Bag of Holding and Concealed Pouch are available for the victor to pillage!

Ell.