Mushin No Shin

By PEsh021, in Android: Netrunner Rules Questions

Am i correct in assuming you can place advancement tokens on cards that typically could not be advanced. Other cards like Shipment from San San specifically say 'Place up to 2 advancement tokens on a card that can be advanced' while Mushin No Shin says 'Place 3 advancement tokens on that card'

You are correct. Especially since they include upgrades and, as of yet, there are no upgrades that can be advanced.

I'm assuming that 'placing 3 advancement tokens' means you're paying for those advancements from your own pile of credits, correct? My friend read it as taking advancement tokens directly from the bank and I was doubtful of that.

I'm assuming that 'placing 3 advancement tokens' means you're paying for those advancements from your own pile of credits, correct? My friend read it as taking advancement tokens directly from the bank and I was doubtful of that.

No, your Credits are Credits. Advancement Tokens are always taken from the Token Bank. It's just a convenience that the cardboard chits are double-sided.

Quite.

One of the reasons I LOVE Mushin No Shin. Tremendous action and credit economy.

Wow, that's crazy! Thanks for the clarification.

Hi Guys,

Mushin No Shin says that you create a new server. I was playing the other night and my opponent questioned whether the move I made a legal. I had a credit producing server and two layers of ice protecting it. When the money on the card ran out I trashed the server leaving the ice there. Then on my next turn I used Mushin to place a new server in its place with 3 advancement tokens on it. My opponent reckoned I couldn't do that as it was unfair.. they said mushin says a 'new server' and that I should be creating a new server column as it were. Is that right?

Hi Guys,

Mushin No Shin says that you create a new server. I was playing the other night and my opponent questioned whether the move I made a legal. I had a credit producing server and two layers of ice protecting it. When the money on the card ran out I trashed the server leaving the ice there. Then on my next turn I used Mushin to place a new server in its place with 3 advancement tokens on it. My opponent reckoned I couldn't do that as it was unfair.. they said mushin says a 'new server' and that I should be creating a new server column as it were. Is that right?

You can't "trash a server", a server exists as long as there are cards in it or protecting it and ceases to exist if there aren't, but you can't really interact with the server itself. So if there is ICE, that means there is a server there, even if it's empty, since there are cards protecting it and you are not creating a new server by installing something in it.

Edited by AmtsboteHannes

A remote server is created whenever there is something in it (such as an asset, agenda or upgrade) or any ICE set to protect an empty server. As noted there isn't a way to trash a server, in its entirety, on install. Its contents can be removed when installing another asset/agenda/upgrade or ICE can be trashed when installing ICE, but once created generally the server will remain until some other effect (runner trashing) removes it from play.

Mushin No Shin's restriction basically mean you cannot put it into an already secure/existent server and must instead create a brand new remote without previous ICE and/or contents. You can however use the last click (and thus spend the entire turn) to play Mushin No Shin and place a piece of ICE protecting it.