Tauros Venator Vehicle Stats

By pearldrum1, in Deathwatch House Rules

Does anyone know which supplement they can be found in, if they even exist at all?

If not, would anyone like to help me come up with some? I am using this vehicle in my current campaign and knowing exactly what it is capable of would be nice.

I have two in the game, one has a Heavy Flamer and the other a Multi-Laser (not Las Cannon).

Since I have relatively little experience with vehicles, I need some help coming up with Armor and Integrity for something of its build and size, as well as speed.

Table top stats for this are in IA8, and there are none in DW.

Without the stats of DW or that book to hand I'd guess putting its speed lower than a land speeder but higher than tanks, perhaps a crusing speed of around 100kph with tactical around 20. No reinforced hull since it's fairly open topped, may also want to use the "Open Topped" rule from Only War.

Armour wise, again without book only guessing but I would perhaps look at say 16 to 20 armour on front, side and rear.

Integrity, something low. I'd guess around 20-25 structural integrity, manoeverability of perhaps +10 given it's probably harder to shoot this thing than a tank.

If you have the stats and want to convert to DW, there are some conversion guidelines amidst these house rules:

http://40kroleplay.weebly.com/3/post/2014/05/revised-vehicle-combat-rules.html

So even if you don't want to use the house rules and want a straight conversion to DW, it'll be useful for you.

When converting weapons, use this:
http://40kroleplay.weebly.com/3/post/2014/04/40k-5e-to-deathwatch-rpg-ranged-weapons-conversion-guidelines.html

The conversion guidelines aren't so much my own preferences but a simple rough classification based on how FFG converted stats for Deathwatch (OW is slightly different), so it should be good.

Alex

@Pearldrum1

HappyDaze posted on Only War forums that Shield of Humanity has stats for Tauros and Tauros Venator.

So now I'm playing waiting game until it gets to my local game store in the Scandinavia.

Ah, I see. Thank you guys.

Alex, the only problem with that is that I do not believe I have the TT stats for the Tauros.

Table top stats for this are in IA8, and there are none in DW.

Without the stats of DW or that book to hand I'd guess putting its speed lower than a land speeder but higher than tanks, perhaps a crusing speed of around 100kph with tactical around 20. No reinforced hull since it's fairly open topped, may also want to use the "Open Topped" rule from Only War.

Armour wise, again without book only guessing but I would perhaps look at say 16 to 20 armour on front, side and rear.

Integrity, something low. I'd guess around 20-25 structural integrity, manoeverability of perhaps +10 given it's probably harder to shoot this thing than a tank.

This is an awesome starting point. Thank you!

I think the front of the Venator is more heavily armoured. Between 22 and 25, I'd say. Probably more 22. It can be given extra armour, no sure how you would model that. Perhaps bringing it from 22 to 25 AP.

I support 20 to 25 SI, +10 maneuvrability, open topped (and wheeled). I think it can optionally be given smoke launchers too and 2 hunter-killer missiles. As for Speed, the Astartes bike goes 20m/110 kph. I'd probably make it a bit slower. Remember that in DW there is a gap between Astartes gear and IG stuff. Just compare armour values in DW and OW. I would go with 17m and 90 kph. Slightly better mobility stats for the normal Tauros.

Alex

I think the front of the Venator is more heavily armoured. Between 22 and 25, I'd say. Probably more 22. It can be given extra armour, no sure how you would model that. Perhaps bringing it from 22 to 25 AP.

I support 20 to 25 SI, +10 maneuvrability, open topped (and wheeled). I think it can optionally be given smoke launchers too and 2 hunter-killer missiles. As for Speed, the Astartes bike goes 20m/110 kph. I'd probably make it a bit slower. Remember that in DW there is a gap between Astartes gear and IG stuff. Just compare armour values in DW and OW. I would go with 17m and 90 kph. Slightly better mobility stats for the normal Tauros.

Alex

Now that I was able to refresh myself on some of the books, I agree with Alex up thar. Wasn't a bad guess though :)

So overall you're looking at maybe the following statline, feel free to tweak to personal preference:

Tauros Venator

Type : Wheeled Vehicle

Front : 25, Side : 20, Rear : 20*

Structural Integrity : 25

Manoeverability : +10

Crusing Speed : 90kph

Tactical : 17m

Crew : 1 Driver, 1 Gunner (Turret)

Carry Capacity : None

Size : Enormous (6)**

Vehicle Traits : Open Topped, Wheeled Vehicle, Galvanic Motor

Galvanic Motor - A vehicle fitted with these is able to ignore the first two "Drive Damaged" critical results before it starts to succumb.

Options

May take one turret mounted weapon from the following:

2 Multi Lasers (Use stats from OW, maybe tweak a bit at discretion)

2 Las Cannons

And may come with

2 Hunter Killer Missile

3 Uses of Smoke Launchers

* My logic here is that the front of the vehicle will be a little better as thats where the brunt of the firepower is likely to be going. Side armour however, you have a very clear shot at the driver so I have made this weaker. Additionally I have kept the rear armour as low since on the venator this is where the ammo is stored.

** Size wise it is a little longer than a Sentinel but narrower and taller, this is why I have called it Enormous (same as a Sentinel or Krootox). Next size category up is for Battle Tanks and Greater Daemons which would be way too large.

Edited by Calgor Grim

For the Options, I would also add Heavy Flamer as both the Lexicanum and the WH40k wiki have them listed.

This particular Venator has a Multi-Laser, but perhaps I should make it Twin-Linked.

Other than that, this looks great.

@Pearldrum

Tauros Venator has Multi-laser and Lascannon as weapon options.

Normal Tauros has heavy Flamer and Tauros Grenade launcher as weapon options. (Seems like they post Lascannon also as option in Lexicanum. Will have to check imperial Armour Vol. 8 - Raid on Kastorel-Novem)

Venator's weapons should be twin-linked as they are in TT variant.

Calgor Grims provided stats are quite similar to "Final Testaments" Tauros.

Few vehicle traits are missing, like Galvanic Motor.

But all in all nice stats.

For the Options, I would also add Heavy Flamer as both the Lexicanum and the WH40k wiki have them listed.

This particular Venator has a Multi-Laser, but perhaps I should make it Twin-Linked.

Other than that, this looks great.

Pretty much what Routa-maa said. The bigger version ditches the Flamer and such and makes it more of a heavier weapons platform. Taking into account that last point though, I'll amend it slightly with details on the Galvanic Motor.

Galvanic Motor - A vehicle fitted with these is able to ignore the first two "Drive Damaged" critical results before it starts to succumb.

Idea here is that it can take two wheel/engine malfunctions before a third will probably do it in or two if it is the standard variant so you might want to allow only one engine damage. 40k universe or not, missing three wheels especially if they are on the same side will impair your movement quite a lot. While it's unlikely to all be on the same side, I've said two as a catch all and not make it brokenly powerful. Unless you want to go into specifics though and say when all on each side.

Edited by Calgor Grim

@Pearldrum

Tauros Venator has Multi-laser and Lascannon as weapon options.

Normal Tauros has heavy Flamer and Tauros Grenade launcher as weapon options. (Seems like they post Lascannon also as option in Lexicanum. Will have to check imperial Armour Vol. 8 - Raid on Kastorel-Novem)

Venator's weapons should be twin-linked as they are in TT variant.

Calgor Grims provided stats are quite similar to "Final Testaments" Tauros.

Few vehicle traits are missing, like Galvanic Motor.

But all in all nice stats.

Yep. I just double checked and you are completely right. My bad.

The normal Tauros variant (non-Venator) would be essentially the same minus 2 sets of wheels and the different weapons platform, yeah?

I'd also augment its manoeverability since it doesn't need as much rear weight through not needing massive las cannon power packs.

So, a slightly smaller size, higher tactical/narrative movement speed. What would you give it for maneuverability?

For the low fat version:

Size is still the same since I dont think even without the back wheels it can justify dropping in size down to size 5 (hulking marine etc). It's bigger than a termie, I'd still say it counts as Size (6).

Mano, possible minor augmentation to maybe +15.

Crusing speed I would keep it at around the same but perhaps improve its tactical speed as its not having to haul a lot of weight, perhaps slight rise to 20m

Also this one according to the books is easier to deploy so you might want to say it can be deployed by Sky Talon while the other is too weighty for a quick drop and go.

Awesome, man! Thank you.

Also this one according to the books is easier to deploy so you might want to say it can be deployed by Sky Talon while the other is too weighty for a quick drop and go.

Though, just going by the pictures on the Forgeworld website, their Sky Talon is depicted carrying the 6-wheeler version

Edited by Lynata

Isnt the Tauros AV10 front from the top of my head? If so, I'd drop AP to 20.

Alex

Both Tauros and Tauros Venator can be picked up and carried by Sky Talon.

On the sidenote, from Imperial Armour Vol.8, direct quote

"Elysian drop regiments have adapted the Tauros for Airborne operations, by stripping out any excess weight so it can be easily transported inside a Valkyrie or below a Valkyrie Sky Talon."

@Alex

Yep Tauros has Front AV 10 in TT.

[...] transported inside a Valkyrie [...]

:huh:

I feel reminded of that joke about the elephant and the fridge now. :lol:

Edited by Lynata

And now I am reminded of the wise words of Ron Jeremy:

"With enough oil... we can make it fit."

So lots of sacred machine oil then to make it fit, or as it should actually be called WD40K.

Badum tish.

And the crowd goes wild.

And now I am reminded of the wise words of Ron Jeremy:

"With enough oil... we can make it fit."

Thanks for the mental image :wacko: