Valar and Wildfire Assualt

By Jivewookiee, in 4. AGoT Deck Construction

Heya,

Ive bought the starter set and have ordered18 chapter packs, I also plan on getting more starter sets. Im the only one buying the game and my friends use my decks. My questions are:

Should I include a valar in each deck?

Or Wildfire Assualt?

Should some houses have them but not others?

Or should I not use any of them in any deck?

Feedback appreciated.

Thanks,

Jivewookiee

The problem as i see it is if everyone has valars characters die far to easily, and if i used wildfire in each deck people would be pretty much stuck with 3 characters.

IDEAS!!!

I'd recommend keeping the plots with the Houses they came with to start. Once you and your friends start to get a feel for it, I'd suggest letting them pick their own plots. You could do a Round-Robin plot draft...

One player goes first (I'd recommend rolling a dice and then everyone selects in order) they select their first plot and the stack of plots is passed to player with the next highest roll. When the last person chooses their first plot they immediately select their second plot and the stack of plots is passed in reverse order, and keep going to everyone has 7 plots.

This gives them some variety as well as giving them a sense of ownership. Soon they'll start to compete over their favorite plots and that leads to feeling more invested in the game.

Aother option is to give all the "house only" plots to each house and then create plot packs of randomly assorted 10 plots which they have to narrow down to the seven they are going to play with.

Both of these have the added benefit of you not knowing what is coming from each deck making it more fun for you to.

Same problem, once ive got my four copies of the starter everyone may well select Valar or Wildfire as their will be four copies of each. And I dont like the idea of totally random plot decks. thanks though

I guess i could make plot decks for each house without valar or wildfire and then one or two randomly selected players could choose two replace a plot card for valar or wildfire.

Thanks for the idea

Hey I think that you understand the plots the wrong way...They do not slow the game the speed it up a lot.

Think about all players having 7 or more characters on the board, new players get confused, you have to count all the str and you never know what your oponent is going to do. If you are first you usually dont attack since with so many characters on the board you are affraid of being too open and wiped out the game is slow and it is hard to get some power for unopposed or win some challenges. So if you play Wildfire everyone ends with 3 characters, then the game is more easy to take in and it gives more options for unopposed -> more power in game -> faster games. The Valar should be used wisely, I think only Stark and Greyjoy with some good saves or Stalwart should run Valar as a strategy plot. You let your oponent play characters and then hit the board leaving your oponent with very few options to play.

Dont be afraid of those plots. They are part of the game and they are used a lot.

I think that almost every deck should have at least one "reset" plot. It helps you control the game. Imagine that your oponent plays a lot of weenies and you have no or very few direct kills. How do you take care of his good characters then?

You'll be hard pressed to find a number of decks in the top competitive ranks without at least one reset plot. Without a reset plot it is very difficult for a deck that has a bad start or gets pounded early to recover, and anyone who can flood the board early will dominate.

Your players learning when to play, if they should play, or even if they should chose a reset (and which one) is an important part of the game. If your concern is that everyone will pick one and you'll have no characters on the table I'd suggest they will sort that out after a game or two.

Rozy said:

The Valar should be used wisely, I think only Stark and Greyjoy with some good saves or Stalwart should run Valar as a strategy plot. You let your oponent play characters and then hit the board leaving your oponent with very few options to play.

I actually run Valar in my Lannister deck. I run a lot of draw cards, and I spent a turn or two before Valar targeting my opponent's hand. Then, by the time I play Valar, I have a large hand, and my post-Valar recovery is much better than my opponent, who has to hope he drew some playable cards. Ideally, a copy of Tywin with a stack of gold on him also survives the Valar...

Well to oversimplify the "Valar or Wildfire" question, my Reset rule of thumb:

If you have some expensive characters with power or attachments on them( like most Baratheons), wildfire is better since you keep them.

If you are able to play far more characters after the reset, with more gold and/or cards in hand ( as lannister yousually has), or to save a bunch of characters ( like Targ) Valar is the better one.

Just try them and hopefully have some fun!