Best Use Of Two Basic Sets

By Brother Horus, in Warhammer: Diskwars

I have just bought my second basic set and now I am not sure how to integrate the cards and get the best use from the second set. Any suggestions or have I thrown my money away?

The additional Command cards are really only good for a second player, but you do get the benefit of more options for deployment cards, mission types, and terrain. I plan on getting a second set, and think the only thing one player loses out on really is the second set of command cards, since you can't have duplicates.

Not at all. Two cores is a great investment. I'll gloss over the obvious, more dice, extra tokens should some become lost or damaged, and the extra range ruler.

Beyond that, you get the extra set of command cards, which will ensure in two player games at least, that you and your opponent can play with whichever set of command cards best suits your play style, without the need to resort to proxies. The additional terrain cards will allow you not only to play the special scenario with someone who doesn't have their own set, but will also allow you to theme your terrain for narrative battles or just provide a more randomized set of terrain for regular battles. This is also true with deployment and scenario/objective cards. With one set, it's pretty easy to tell what objectives your opponent might have, with two you will have to pay more attention to their play style, which will create a more dramatic game.

Having the extra hero's means you can play mirror matches should both you and your opponent want the same army.

Finally the biggest benefit will come in army building. You will now be able to build almost any list you can conceive of for a standard two-regiment game. That includes the dreaded double Blood Thirster list. I can't stress enough how this opens up possibilities, especially in competitive play.

I do recommend playing several times before throwing in some of your extras like deployment, scenario, and terrain cards. Make sure you have a good grasp of those basics, before expanding them. that will make it easier for you to work around things when you end up playing on a board later that has two swamps.

About the only things in that second set that might really collect dust are the battlefield corners and the initiative tokens.

It kind of depends what you want to do with it. If you want to be able to have 2 games going parallel at a club for example, then you should probably keep everything as it is. If you're like me, however, and just wanted more options for your regular games, then you should probably take some stuff out before you throw the two core sets together.

I also have two core sets and here's what I did:

1. If you want to play mirror matches (i.e. Empire vs Empire etc.) you don't have to do anything with the disks. I personally don't like mirror matches so I took out all the hero disks from my second set.

2. Keep the command cards, but keep the sets separate so

Both players have one complete set to choose from.

3. Keep the terrain cards so you can have for example both the windmill AND the watchtower in the same match

4. I personally don't think you need the extra mission cards and the extra deployment zone cards so I took those out.

5. I also took out the second set of initiative markers and race effect tokens (the four oval/rectangular ones) as well as those corner markers etc. as well as the second rulebook.

6. Keep the rest and enjoy having some killer possibilities with army building :)

You most certainly did not throw away your money!

Hope I didn't forget anything...

Everyone beat me to it :D

Okay it sounds as though I made the correct call......now where was that second Bloodthirster?

Thanks for the replies.

Everyone beat me to it :D

But you added some very good insight. So no problem there.

Now, my problem is that I keep thinking about a third core set for possibilities of larger scale game, and better army building at the three regiment level...

Must... stay... in... control... of... wallet...

NOOOO DONT DO IT!

It's like that third piece of cheesecake that you really want but once you have one bite from it you're full and realise it was a waste of money ;)

Trust me, I was there... having three volley guns or three Bloodthirsters for 3-regiment games seems tempting but once you realise how many disks you won't ever use you'll regret it. Invest that money in multiples of the expansions instead!

Planning on buying my second set, doubt i would go for a third. And even then, there are some places on Amazon that sell just individual armies, so if you really wanted to fine tune Orks, that might be a cheaper option, paying I think 7 or so dollars for one entire army, as opposed to the 45 for stuff you might never use.

I think you are right. I'm going to hold for now and wait for the expansions. Besides, as you say, Amazon has the army sets, so if I really want more army building options, I can always go for that.

I was tempted to by an extra set just for another range ruler. I think I resisted, though.

A second core really does bring a lot to the game, besides the range ruler. Obviously, if you aren't getting a ton of play out of the single core, then you don't want to make the additional investment, but if you are playing a lot or competitively, I think you can get a lot of mileage our of that second set.

That's in part why I've been so tempted to get a third. More of a good thing, right? Although, I have decided to wait on getting a third or additional units from the core until I see what the expansions do.

I'm so not a fan of second core sets...but then I bought 2 for X-Wings since the value was so there.

Diskwars will probably be the second game i'll do it...just so you know I only have one Netrunner core set :P

I didn't played since marsh and now my hands are trembling...I need my flipping fix!

Same here, X-wing was the first time I felt it necessary to buy multiples of a core set, but I ended up getting three when they were on sale at Target for $12.

Compared to X-wing, however, I feel like there is a ton more utility to buying a second core for Warhammer Diskwars than to X-Wing. With X-wing, you really just buy it for the 3 ships, all the rest is pretty much just a "nice to have" or useless, whereas for Diskwars, every single extra disk, all the terrain, and especially the cards too really add to your possibilities and gaming experience.

Eh, I disagree. I think the dice are kind of required, you really do need six red and six green dice in X-wing. And it kind of is required to have multiple of each ship to really be able to enjoy and competitively play it. At the very least two of each individual ship.

[...] With X-wing, you really just buy it for the 3 ships [...]

Eh, I disagree. [...] It kind of is required to have multiple of each ship to really be able to enjoy and competitively play it.[...]

And about the extra dice: They are clearly just a "nice to have" feature. Not having them doesn't make it less fair for anyone, doesn't limit the game modes you can select, doesn't limit your fleet selection or tactics, and doesn't limit your options or ability to play in any way whatsoever. You just have to re-roll some of the dice, that's all.

Is it more convenient to have more dice? Sure.

Is it like you say "required"? It sure isn't!

With WHDW, the exta cards make it more fair for each player (and ideally you even had 4 sets of cards), the extra terrain lets you play a new game mode, and of course the disks vastly expand your armybuilding capacity.

Edited by Timpro

X-Wing was my first repeat core as well, and I am sorely tempted to pull the trigger on Diskwars...just waiting for the right sale!

X-Wing was my first repeat core as well, and I am sorely tempted to pull the trigger on Diskwars...just waiting for the right sale!

You will not be disappointed. That second core adds tons of army building options and the extra command cards takes the headache out of distributing them if you are playing two players with just your disks. I also like having the extra terrain and less certain objectives.