Vehicles Firing (and stuff)

By Brother Anselm, in Only War Rules Questions

In the rules it says you are at a penalty to hit if you fire a weapon from a vehicle that has moved. Is this all weapons

What I mean is are the vehicles own weapons not auto stabilized. I can understand the penalty if say a guardsman is firing from a port or somewhere with his own weapon but not from its own. It seems a bit retro for a vehicle to stop before it can fire, very WW2 rather than modern/future tech.

Also as an aside, would it be OTT of me to give my Chimeras Vox & nav systems. a player wanted to know how we all communicated with each other in our platoons and with HQ and how we knew how to get around.

Vehicles weapons are counted as Auto-Stablized. All of their weapons can always fire semi and full auto (if applicable) without needing to be braced. As contrasted by passngers, who have to spend some time bracing before shooting.

It seems a bit retro for a vehicle to stop before it can fire, very WW2 rather than modern/future tech.

Why is that? Modern tanks still slow down to a trickle of their maximum speed to fire, if not outright pause for a few seconds when at long range. And if you are at close range in this game, that piddly -10 gets washed away by the +20/+30. But then again if your firing point blank with a tank, you're a master of 40k =D

Edit: The penalty is more in tune with lose of accuracy via firing while moving. Even with advanced targeting systems, movement would still play a crucial factor in whether you hit your target or not. As many tanks have blast weapons, it's a mute point - you just need to hit relatively nearby. =D

As to your other point - The vehicle section goes into a little about how to use communications with vehicles. While it never gets into the pertinent details, the relevant sections assumes communication is a framework to work on and then goes on how to be a commander and use command skills. Essentially, it's assumed these vehicles have vox-net access and nav systems already in them. I'd recommend keeping the ranges relatively short except for proper hive worlds or long term warzones (most warzones won't be fought on a planet with an Imperial Infrastructure. I.e. no satelittes to piggy back off, etc). Probably anywhere between 10-30km without Fleet assets in the void around the planet, or a non-issue if fighting on a fairly civilized imperial world (and definitely a no brainer for Forge and Hive Worlds).

Edited by Cogniczar

Thanks for the input. lots of food for thought

I'd like to ask some questions too.

Anti-tank round. It is said that it has a pen of 12, but what are his other stats? Same as standard weapon stat line doesn't make sense, since vanquisher is better off with his base pen if 16 and standard battle cannon gets only a +4pen with same huge blast radius which shouldnt exist for AP round.

Clip size for tanks. Are they some kind of drum-fed? How can a loader reload 12 shells for a battle cannon in 3 turns (18 seconds)? Why RAW don't mind loader taking sctions as normal while battle cannon is being reloaded?

General armored warfare. Even with specialized AP shells tanks have a good chance of not penetrating another tanks armor, and even an APC or IFV which isn't supposed to withstand sustained fire from tanks can indeed stay alive after several direct hits. Not to mention infantry has no reliable anti-tank weapons save for lascannon, tank is gonna shrug off anything else, and it is the hull lascannon, supposed to be a support weapon to intensify forward firepower, that becomes Leman Russ best anti-tank choice. If anything other than lascannon is mounted there, tank is close to defenceless in a duel with lascannon-packed adversary.

I'd like to ask some questions too.

Anti-tank round. It is said that it has a pen of 12, but what are his other stats? Same as standard weapon stat line doesn't make sense, since vanquisher is better off with his base pen if 16 and standard battle cannon gets only a +4pen with same huge blast radius which shouldnt exist for AP round.

Clip size for tanks. Are they some kind of drum-fed? How can a loader reload 12 shells for a battle cannon in 3 turns (18 seconds)? Why RAW don't mind loader taking sctions as normal while battle cannon is being reloaded?

General armored warfare. Even with specialized AP shells tanks have a good chance of not penetrating another tanks armor, and even an APC or IFV which isn't supposed to withstand sustained fire from tanks can indeed stay alive after several direct hits. Not to mention infantry has no reliable anti-tank weapons save for lascannon, tank is gonna shrug off anything else, and it is the hull lascannon, supposed to be a support weapon to intensify forward firepower, that becomes Leman Russ best anti-tank choice. If anything other than lascannon is mounted there, tank is close to defenceless in a duel with lascannon-packed adversary.

I can't answer the question about reloading. The vehicles my Regiment has expertise with are Chimera APCs that utilize box/charge fed Multi-lasers and heavy bolters.

However, I don't think you are taking into account the damage factor of the rounds involved that goes into getting through enemy armor values. Take the mutilaser, for example. It has a pen of 2 and a damage of 2d10+10. While its purpose is to mow through light vehicles and infantry, it also has the potential to get through the front armor of other Chimera's (AP 30). Pen 2 brings the AP value down to 28, meaning that as long as it scores 29 or 30 damage an attack, it is melting off structural integrity.

My point is that getting through vehicle armor isn't strictly relegated to the Pen value of a weapon; it is a combination of the Pen and the damage output of that weapon. Some weapons aren't built for that and won't be able to penetrate armor no matter how many times you fire them. Others might just squeak by. And even others will melt through that **** like a hot knife through butter.

Take the Leman Russ standard battle cannon for example, it is rocking 3d10+10, pen 12 with the AP rounds. That is an average damage of 25 armor penetration 12! While that is not enough to get through the front armor of another leman russ, it isn't too far from it (2 pts shy). What this comes down to is tactics - don't take on another tank head on. Get behind them or on their flanks. Be smart. Expose their sweet spots and send them back to hell.

I hope that helped.

Edited by pearldrum1

However, I don't think you are taking into account the damage factor of the rounds involved that goes into getting through enemy armor values. Take the mutilaser, for example. It has a pen of 2 and a damage of 2d10+10. While its purpose is to mow through light vehicles and infantry, it also has the potential to get through the front armor of other Chimera's (AP 30). Pen 2 brings the AP value down to 28, meaning that as long as it scores 29 or 30 damage an attack, it is melting off structural integrity.

In order to cause 29 or 30 points of damage with a multilaser, you have to roll (atleast) one '10'. Meaning a Righteous Fury, meaning you'll do a minimum of 1 pt of damage anyway. :)

Right! I mean, yes, of course that example is one of those slim chances - but when you do hit it, you hit it hard.

And that is sexy.

And I rather like this aspect of tanks. Some of these tread-born squad coffins have long, storied histories, and while I can say that the AdMech are sometimes amazing with their repair capabilities, if your TPs actually remember how the parts in the tank work, if you could easily demolish a tank with even a lascannon or krak missiles, they wouldn't last very long, indeed. I certainly wouldn't want to be the infantry unit, regardless of kit, tasked with polishing off the enemy's Baneblade, but I DO appreciate that the superheavy SHOULD be able to handle several hits from anything, showing that it was worth the AdMech's time to manufacture it. A Leman is a bit less than that, but if it's your unit's primary cheese addition, you'd not want a single squad of Devastators/Havocs, or the SD's HWS to just carve it up like turducken, with just the normal allotment of lascannon shots, or krak missiles, that they are supplied with; at least I wouldn't.

Well, I, for one, don't like it when

-a guy with rpg or krak grenade is defenceless against my LR

-AT shells which are that hard to acquire barely damage enemy tanks if at all

-Main AT weapon, the only one capable of getting the job done, is a hull-mounted lascannon and emperor have mercy on you if you fit heavy bolter instead

-autocannon deals damage marginally smaller than stock tank shell, but actually capable of firing thrice

-an APC or IFV can take multiple hits from tank battle cannon and still carry on with no effects

What I did? I halved armor and structure of all vehicles, decreased damage by d10+5 for multilaser, autocannon and lascannon.

Worked out perfectly.