Gencon 2009 Wings of War Miniatures Megagame

By sgibson260, in Wings of War

Hi all,

Just wanted to announce that we are running a huge Wings of War miniatures game at Gencon in Indianapolis this year. We have room for 48 players, and have 26 people signed up so far. Last year's game (with up to 36 players) was a blast, so we decided to supersize it this year (plus, we have all those new minis to add into the mix!)

Here are the event details:

Game Code: HMN0903948
Gaming Group/Company: Northern Virginia Gamers (NOVAG)
Title: Wings of War Mega-Game: The St. Mihiel Offensive, Day 2

Description: On 13 September 1918, the American Expeditionary Force in France continues its massive offensive against the German St. Mihiel Salient. As artillery and ground forces assault the German fortifications, over 1400 American and allied aircraft battle veteran German aviators in the skies over the battlefield. Each player will take an American, German, British, French, or Italian miniature aircraft, and will help sweep the skies of enemy planes.

Event Type: HMN - Historical Miniatures
Game System: Wings of War
Rules Edition: Watch your Back
Minimum Number of Players: 2
Maximum Number of Players: 48
Minimum Age: Teen (13+)
Experience Required: None (never played before)
Are materials provided?: Yes, materials are provided for this game. You do not need to bring your own.
Start Date & Time: 08/15/2009 09:00:00 AM
Duration: 3 hours
GM name(s): Arthur DeFillipo, Stephen Gibson
Web Address for More Information:
Email Address for More Information:
Tournament: No, this is not a tournament.
Can players register for it?: Yes, you can register for this event without having played in any other events
Cost: $4.00
Special Category: This event is run by a Gen Con Premier Event Group.

Hope some of you can make it!

Steve Gibson

Northern Virginia Gamers

(sighs, and wishes he was in position to attend GenCon again...)

csadn said:

(sighs, and wishes he was in position to attend GenCon again...)

Wow - I agree that a SIGH is warranted - would love to attend and participate in that event - what a game! YouTube pictures I hope???

R

What *I* want to see someone do, either at this or another game:

Rig a camera above the play area, pointing straight down. At the start of the game, and after every movement and firing phase, take a picture. Then use a slideshow program to create a stop-motion animation of the game. (Bonus points for adding audio of "Yakkety Sax".... :) )

Just so happen to be going to Gen Con Friday. Will try and get pics.

I can personally attest that this is a fun event, and last year I did just what was suggested above - though only for my small part of the table - taking one picture per movement.

It turned out great!

Not being present, I expect a full report.

It seems a bit odd that Italians are in but not the Austrians. The Austrian "Hansa Brandenburgh CI" (UFAG C.1) is an official Wow model. But did the french really flew on the eastern front?

I wish I could get there anyways but the US is far away and I am working. Maybe next year.

If anyone is there it would be fun to have a combat report with some pictures :) It would also be fun to know how long time the game actually took.

Hey Steve, thanks to you and your crew for running this, it was a great lot of fun! And I'm not just saying that because I went home with the Golden Spad. :)

Please pass on to Arthur (I think that was the other guy running it with you) that I found where I got the "Rear Area blindspot is the whole rear of the card" ruling, it is how it is presented on page 8 of the wowminis_rules.pdf offered on the WoW support page here.