My Tale of Hilariousness (spoilers)

By BroodyGambit, in Star Wars: Age of Rebellion Beginner Game

So I got this for my birthday which coincides with National Star Wars Day so I thought it would be fitting to play yesterday. My wife GMed for me and a friend as we infiltrated Whisper Base. The adventure had so many shenanigans that I had to post it here, but there are spoilers so if you haven't played stop reading.

I was playing as Tendaar the engineer and my friend was playing as Zal the pilot. Elite Infiltration team right there. We make it into the garage and try to hide in the ATST and of course I epically failed the mechanics check and fried the entire thing. My buddy then hides in the rafters while I try to "work on" the speeder bikes, which I also fail. Some Imperial troops find me and start firing but we both dispatched them fairly easily.

We then try to leave the garage when we were met by the battle droid janitor. My friend instinctively shot it but failed to kill it so it rushes us. I am terrible at combat, so I decided to slice the door panel and cause it to close and crush the droid. To my surprise I managed to succeed, but broke the door.

We then made our way to the hangar bay to prevent any escape from the base. We were met by 2 guards so my buddy decided to drop a frag grenade between the 2 of them. He didn't get the advantage for Blast so he only took out 1. The other sets off an alarm calling for reinforcements. We then dispatched him and the 2 troops that came, and I made quick work disabling the shuttle after being gently persuaded by the GM not to fly the around and shoot up the base (Secret base and sudden appearance of a shuttle would bring lots of TIE Fighters to investigate).

Now we have a timer and every 5 minutes Real Time we come across another squad patrolling the base. After 2 of them, we made our way to the communications room and disabled internal comms so no more patrols would come looking. We then make our way to the armory to resupply and came across a group of stormtroopers. They blast the crap out of the two of us, and shortly after, the last patrol makes their way around so we have to deal with two fronts in the hallway. My teammate went down, but I managed to make an amazing medicine roll with a triumph to get him back up. We finished them all off, and loot the armory getting some new rifles and grenades.

Now up until this point it went fairly normal except with several bad rolls at bad times. After this point it just keeps getting more and more absurd.

We both grabbed stormtrooper armor in the armory and we decided to check the officer quarters across the hall, hoping that I could find a terminal and slice into it for information. We go into the first room and there is an Imperial Corporal making his bed after being awakened by the alarms. I decided to yell "freeze" and point my gun at him, and I completely failed my roll with lots of advantage. My friend decided that he would try to convince the officer that there were rebels in the base and that we were sent secure him and take him to the control room. He makes his opposed roll with some setback dice for me being a Mon Cal in Stormtrooper armor, and succeeded with 2 triumphs so the officer bought it hook, line, and sinker. We then "secured" his room, checking records on his computers finding out about a possibly unloyal technician (we called him "Tech Chris"). All the while my friend is making 3-4 deception rolls to make sure Corporal Toole (as we called him) was still on our side.

We then take Corporal Toole to the control center via the barracks, and we get stopped by 2 minion groups of stormtroopers. My teammate makes even more deception rolls to convince Corporal Toole to get the stormtroopers to stand down and let us pass. We get to the control room and trick them into opening the door and the three of us go in guns at the ready only to find the Lieutenant we were sent to eliminate was not there. I then made an awesome charm roll with Tech Chris to get him to reveal the secret panel and to join us on our escapades.

Now the four of us go to the garage and I fail the check to repair the ATST so we head out on speeder bikes after the LT. My bike gets disabled the first shot of the round by the enemy speeder bike, but I make a mechanics check to get it running while Zal takes care of the other bikes. We chase LT all the way to the comm tower and as soon as we got into range, the turret disabled my bike again, so me and Tech Chris fixed it again. At this point in time Corporal Toole, Tech Chris, and I are on the ground firing at the stormtroopers while Zal flies around and shoots at the tower. We are running out of time to destroy it so I came up with a plan. I made a mechanics check to rig the frag grenades to the speeder bike and have it fly into the tower. I made an astounding roll and managed to successfully get the rig set up, and managed to do enough damage to the tower to destroy the thing entirely.

After that we went back with Corporal Toole and Tech Chris and secured the rest of the base.

Sorry about the long post, but this adventure was so fun and unconventional that I felt the need to share.

My favorite moment of the night was failing the initial deception roll vs the barracks stormtroopers only to realize that I hadn't rolled the bonus die for being in stormtrooper armor, rolling that die and then going from 'roll initiative' to 'move along'.

That or your persistent "IT'S A TRAP" refrain.

Can we recover the lambda and name it Vexing Proposition mk2? Because I desperately want this.

Sounds like you had a lot of fun. This is what sets a tabletop RPG apart from the computer games. It's nice to play without programing limits.

I agree, and I have to give kudos to my wife for thinking on her feet when we rabbit holed so far past the story and she had to do so much stuff on the fly.