Non-standard formats

By MechaBri.Zilla, in Warhammer: Diskwars

I posted this already on BGG, but I know not all of us use both sites, so I figured I might check here as well.

How many of you have tried out a non-standard game format?

So far I've only played the normal 2 regiment games, and only one game with more than 2 players. But I'd like to know how other formats work and what people like. So 1 or 3 regiment games, or maybe different board sizes or terrain rules, etc.

For that matter, have any of you tried the special scenario? How has that worked out?

I played a 3 regiment per side game for the first time last night and it has a much more epic feel to it, obviously it gives you so much more to think about that the game took a fair bit longer to play but I have to say I really enjoyed it.

I just played a 4 player match tonight. It was also our first time playing, so took a while... also Was pretty chaotic. We kinda ended up pairing off and fighting two 1v1s till near the end when we sprawled out more.

I don't how frequent deaths are in a 2 player, but I only had 3 units left (Specifically pulling one back actually since I didnt know if anyone else had the same score card as me, which was per unit in the casualty pile), another player only had one left, another his two heroes, and the fourth was completely eliminated (mostly cause he piled up and got pinned early since he kept his deployment pretty much as close to his one neighbor as possible)

I once wanted to teach the game to one of my friends but then he brought another one of our mutual friends along so I had do change plans to a 3-player mode, and then I had the glorious idea to only use one regiment per person because it was meant to just be an introductory game, and IT SUCKED.

That was my first time teaching someone else the game and one regiment is just too little. You can hardly really get any synergies going or actually develop a tactic, because you only get two command cards and have only like 5 or 6 disks. If one gets taken out, it's a huge deal because you just lost 20% of your army... Anyway... can't recommend 1-regiment games at all, and playing an introduction with 3 people sucked too so yeah

i played the beginner scenario twice to teach the game. Andit felt good to have one hero and a bigger sized army than only the disks you get as when u pla ywith 1 regiment. Maybe i create a housevariant where both sides for example add 50% of the heros army valueadditionally to the asrmyof one hero.

I also played a standard 1 regiment game 1v1, and yes it felt a little bit too small of everything because of only commanding 5 disks, but it was also fun. Maybe if you have the idea of warhammer or a big war in ur head, then u wont' have fun with a 1 regiment game. But if you see it like a small skirmish maybe to build up a story and for example to determine the initiative of a next big 3 regiment game, then it could be tense as well :)

Well, if you find one regiment is too small, but liked the starter scenario, you might want to take a look at the official format which is 2 regiments per side. It isn't that much different from the starter scenario at all, other than slightly smaller deployment zones since you have one less card per side.

i played the beginner scenario twice to teach the game. Andit felt good to have one hero and a bigger sized army than only the disks you get as when u pla ywith 1 regiment. Maybe i create a housevariant where both sides for example add 50% of the heros army valueadditionally to the asrmyof one hero.

I also played a standard 1 regiment game 1v1, and yes it felt a little bit too small of everything because of only commanding 5 disks, but it was also fun. Maybe if you have the idea of warhammer or a big war in ur head, then u wont' have fun with a 1 regiment game. But if you see it like a small skirmish maybe to build up a story and for example to determine the initiative of a next big 3 regiment game, then it could be tense as well :)

Agreed on the 1-regiment thing. If you're wanting to play multiplayer games, either go with two regiments per player or play 2v2 so you've got 2 pairs of allied players - so, Orcs and Chaos allied versus Empire and Elves (at least, until we get a fourth hero for each).