Would owners of this game care for a reprint with a fix?

By Ruvion, in A Game of Thrones: The Board Game (1st Edition)

I was recently considering buying into this game; however, some of the map balance issues raised by a few(?) of the posters has thrown me off. Question is, if FFG was to reprint this game with a map fix (a purely hypothetical situation here), would some of you guys buy this game again?

What's wrong with the map? Never noticed any...

Don't see any need for reprint but why not :D

Can't say I notice any map problems sorpresa.gif Probably not unless it were really out of wack & the option was just to purchase a new board.

OD

I don't know if I would buy the game again, but the map does seem a bit off in places. A modified one would be better, but that's what the expansion games also help with right?

Chip

It seems like the only balance issue with the main game is the lack of ports. Without ports it makes Stark very hard to play as the player has to focus a lot of resources defending against Greyjoy at sea while still trying to build enough forces expand. I know it wouldn't look as nice, but you could buy the game and use proxies for your ports. Or better yet, buy the Clash of Kings Expansion!

Are you refrencing the much chewed over Grayjoy vs. Lannister opening battle? Or perhaps was there some other aspect of map balance that was a concern to you?

Personally I would buy the game anyway, even with the current 'imbalance' (put partly in quotes because there are several opening moves that Lannister can make to counter. The outcome of these opening moves depends largely on the participation (or lack there of) from the Stark and Tyrell players, but presuming that they both stay completely out of the fray (no pun intended) and don't influance the choices of either Grayjoy or Lannister (which honestly is unlikely but since it is usually brought up as a grudge match it was tested that way) then even with a muster Lannister has the ability to be in a stronger position by the start of turn three than they do when the game opens (stronger meaning better rating regarding total Muster and/or Supply. The actual change varies a little bit depending on a few moves and counters, as well as what the draw is from deck 1).

All of the above assumes the implamentation of the Errata wherein Grayjoy is moved to 5th postion on the Kings Court track and Tyrell is moved up to 4th. It does not however include the use of any components from A Clash of Kings or A Storm of Swords , both of which contain elements (i.e. House Cards, Fortifcations, Siege Engines, Ports, Leaders, Tactics Cards) that further hone game balance as far as what moves are valid/valuable in a net gain/zero sum world of war.

However to answer your direct question; Yes I would buy a reprint of the origonal gameboard (Presuming that the good people at FF decided that in light of some rigiours play-testing of their own a reprint was needed to enhance game balance within the basic game beyond the Errata).

Truthfully however I haven't seen the need for such a re-print to occure once the updated Kings Court positions are accounted for. Most of the disparities I've seen listed in various posts are all a matter of the play-style of the gaming group in question and with some 'outside the box' thinking you can easily counter those issues (or make those moves so deeply costly to a player that as an opening move they become funtionally non-viable).

If your RP was addressing some aspect of map balance that isn't involved in the Lannister vs. Grayjoy / Navy balance coversation then please elaborate on this other issue as I don't think I've heard of it and would like to consider the implications such an idea would raise.

Cheers,

Phoenix

I was also pinging on the Lanni GJ naval issues...and there were some concerns voiced by a few regarding Bara balance as well, but I did not yet play the game to know of such matters. I am however approaching this from a prospective buyer's point of view and was interested in hearing others' thoughts in this matter. While some posters seem to think there need to be a fundamental map change in order to bring about a tighter balance between the houses, it's refreshing to see that posters here believe that the errata and the expansions are up to the task of patching the game.

I think the changes in the expansions have done enough to leave the board as-is. I'd rather spend my money on other new FFG products.

Well it seems that the sale of this game has done well and FFG is reprinting again! I hope they at least fix the card backs if not the board, 'cause I'm seriously considering a buy here.

What's wrong with the card backs? And the only "map fix" I know of is the initial problem with the ACoK overlay being wrong--it was fixed in the second printing.

The card backs on the 2008 reprint had the same card back as the Clash of Kings ones apparently, not a big issue...but tis still an issue. Regarding the changes to the map...some BGGers have seem to think that there needs to be some rebalancing that needs to be done at the board level. Me having never played cannot say yay or nay...but I rather that there be some changes made that can shush much of the balance grumblings.